Best diet for a Diabetic.

by Quarterback 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Scully
    Scully

Start thinking of food as your #1 drug. Food choices helped get you to where you are, and they can help you get to where you want to be too.

When I follow the GI (Glycemic Index) closely, my blood sugars are quite good.

Portion control is huge too.

I try to limit the starchy foods like bread, breakfast cereal, rice and pasta, and rather focus more on lean proteins, vegetables and fruit. If I do have cereal (oatmeal) for breakfast, I add a tablespoon or so of chopped almonds to balance it out with some protein so that my blood sugar doesn't spike.

I try to add veggies to every meal, even breakfast. I buy egg whites in the carton and make a spinach & mushroom omelet, sprinkled with a bit of grated cheese or feta. Wrap it in a warmed small whole wheat tortilla - it's so yummy!

Salads for lunch, with a splash of lemon juice instead of dressing, and again with some protein (cheese, chopped hard boiled egg, leftover chicken).

There are times when I splurge, but I pay for it in several ways (high sugars, headaches, diarrhea), so I'm learning all the time too.

If you can find one locally, a lot of community centres offer diabetic education classes for people who are either newly diagnosed or haven't been able to control their diabetes with diet and/or exercise. They're great programs and really help you understand the disease.

One thing I really need to work on is exercise. I hate it so much. I've never been good at sports and got a lot of ridicule growing up because of it. I used to try to exercise at home, until the day that Mr Scully walked in on me "Sweatin' to the Oldies" in front of the TV and laughed his ass off at me. That was the end of that.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Razziel, would I be correct to say that a type 1 must also worry about not enough sugar? I imagine it helps to have a snack bar or a piece of fruit always handy.

Scully, your yummy suggestions make me hungry. I am in misery right now as I am fasting for a blood test. In a couple hours, I will be ready to eat!

• Scully
    Scully

Thanks, jgnat! I will be doing the same thing in a couple of weeks, so I get where you're coming from! Fortunately, I can go in to the clinic at work for 6 a.m. and be the first one in line and get home before everyone else wakes up!

I buy the egg white cartons at Costco. Normally they are about $3 a carton at the local grocery store, but I can get 3 cartons for $4.99 at Costco. They are pasteurized so they last quite a while, but I'll sometimes portion them out in zip-lock bags and freeze them. I just have to remember to put one in the fridge overnight so it's thawed by the morning.

I'm actually craving an omelet with broccoli and spicy cheese right now.... bbl.

• talesin
    talesin

Razziel, would I be correct to say that a type 1 must also worry about not enough sugar? I imagine it helps to have a snack bar or a piece of fruit always handy.

YES!

tal

*who always carries a snack for "sugar crash"*

type 2 and type 1 are completely different dis-eases!

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Oh, I never had a problem with low blood sugar when I only did diet and exercise. It changed when meds were added. What a terrifying experience. Once I was driving through a residential section and I crashed quickly. I knew I had to get some glucose or it was curtains. There was no place where I could purchase soda or anything else. I should have pulled over but no one would know how ill I was. Finally, a pizza shop appeared. I always carry glucose tablets with me.

I notice that I am not crashing on a low carb diet. Curious.

Someone told me to carry string cheese b/c it can live in a handbag for weeks without going bad.

Does anyone know the carb count for Rye bread? Has anyone tried Dreamfields pasta? I did and liked it.

• Simon Morley
    Simon Morley

Start with not going to any meetings. The stress induced often leads to poor eating habits that are at the root of diabetes, especially adult onset. Obestity is a hugh factor and since not going to meetings I have dropped 10kg - primarily because I no longer have the stress in my life that I pacified with overeating.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit