Best diet for a Diabetic.

by Quarterback 55 Replies latest jw friends

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Dr just told me that I inherited this health problem.

Has anyone had any success in winning over this desease?

• blondie
    blondie

Monitor your carbs; it might surprise you that it is more than sugars, carbs break down into sugar. Not all vegetables are "safe" because some are high in carbs, potatoes, corn, peas, etc.

Are you type 1 or type 2? Type 1 requires insulin injections, type 2 can be controlled through diet, exercise, and at times medication.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/type-2-diabetes/ds00585/dsection=treatments-and-drugs

I would suggest keeping foods that you already like and are good for diabetics then try new ones each week or so.

Fiber is important too. I would suggest meeting with a nutritionist experienced with diabetic diets.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/eating-right?page=2

I have been treated for type 2 and went from 7.3 (H1C) to 5.3, lost 30 pounds, and found many vegetables that taste great, added fiber in oatmeal each morning, and found ways to satisfy my "sweet tooth" without adding sugar to the equation.

Blondie

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Thanks, Blondie.

I'm type two.

I appreciate your research, and experience.

QB

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

http://www.mrsdash.com/ Avoid Marinade Recipes P.S. Look at each ingredient to be sure there is no sugar in it.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Click on the Low Carb Link too.

• talesin
    talesin

I am a type 2, and my father has been for 40 years. Neither of has had to take meds, ever.

I could write several pages of diet advice, but there is another equally important component - daily exercise. My dad has walked one hour a day mininum all his life - same with me. The only time my 'numbers' went up, was when I sprained my back and was literally laid up for 4 months.

Five meals a day / no white foods / use healthy oils / limit fruit intake and focus on veggies / beans beans beans (including lentils and chick peas) - will steady your glycemic index.

tal

EDIT: NO POP/SODA/whatever you call it. good carbs are GOOD -- watch the packaged food for high-fructose corn syrup - it's in almost everything, under a plethora of names.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I have diabetes type 2, have read extensively, and discussed the matter many times with a teaching hospital staff. The answer is controversial. The American Diabetic Association recommends a diet of about 45 carbs per meal. They want you to make certain you eat a certain amount of carbs. Recently, they also included recommendations for a low glycemic diet. Low glycemic diets don't focus on the total carb count. Rather, they test which foods release glucose very quickly so you have sharp spikes in your diet. The better way is to strive for a plateau. Many doctors and patients are very critical of the moderate carb approach. Dr. Bernstein is one of the primary advocates of a low carb diet. Carbs are severely restricted. Fruit is to be avoided. Milk is avoided in favor of cream. I did the ADA diet for years. As the disease progressed, my numbers were less satisfactory. I higly recommend Gretchen Becker's book Diabetes: The First Year. I learned more from her book than any other. She presents a balanced presentation. She suggests experimenting with both types of diets. Different people may need different approaches. I expected a lot of flak from my endocrinologist and internist b/c the nutritionist were always stirred up against the low carb diet. They did not encourage me to do low-carb. After I did it, they shocked me by stating how much they approved of it. I miss fruit greatly. My numbers are incredibly better on a low carb diet. Part of the answer may be that the ADA moderate carb load works in the early stages of diabetes. I was so overwhelmed with too much info when I was first diagnosed. Becker's book presents the essential info early in the book. Once you understand the very important concepts, you can learn much more detail later. Don't focus on sugar. Do the carb count! Pasta is a big no no but many people eat Dreamfields pasta which has a special process so the glucose is not absorbed by your body. I recommend visiting the American Diabetes Association web site. The community is very supportive, up beat, and the exchange of practical info can't be beat. They do not know what they are talking about medically. My endo gets annoyed when I quote someone from the forum. There are other cool sites besides the ADA. Self Management magazine taught me so much. I never found the ADA magazine that informative.Also, I invested in several nice diabetic cook books. The biggest practical problem I face is eating out. You need to strategize as tho you were feeding an army. Most fast food is forbidden. If I followed the restrictins completely, a typical decent lunch would cost me about $30. for the lean meat. String cheese is one good remedy. It is chock full of dangerous chemicals which prolong its life to several weeks without refrigeration. If you know someone is a diabetic, speaking with them provides many great tips. My feeling is that the typical diabetes education program is not thorough enough. Medicare paid for a nutritionist.

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Just what blondie said and foods with low glycemic index,they don't spike your blood sugar too high too fast. And of course,as always it's mainly green leafy vegetables,and lean protein,etc.

And along with diet,daily exercise such as, walking. Diabetes runs in my family. And I have to watch my diet too.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

My computer is loco. I had many paragraphs and lots of white space. Exercise makes an incredible difference. I did not pursue it b/c I thought it would be so much work for a few points. The impact for me is massive. It lasts all day, too.

• jgnat
    jgnat

There is no magic pill, no special diet. The way I like to describe it is that you will BALANCE the food that comes in to your body, like fuel, so you get a long slow, easy burn. Your insulin levels are just not up to the job any more, so you will have to take over.

I suggest you diarize for about 60 days or so; what you are eating, the portions, calories, and how you feel an hour or two later. When I did this I swiftly recognized foods that made me sleepy (bad!) and those that give me that wonderful long-lasting energy. When I diarized I became more sensitive to my energy levels and dramatically changed the attraction of certain foods. Fruit punches and cakes with icing look like pure evil now.

Eatwell Plate

Have measured portions of all the food groups at every meal. I get VERY stable blood sugar readings if I include an egg at breakfast. I found the UK food portion map the easiest to adapt to. When I fill half my plate with vegetables, the rest is easy to figure out.

Have a small snack between meals. Cheese and crackers is good. A Danactive and an apple is good too. Or a half-dozen nuts and a few raisins. Never just one food group at a sitting.

An absolute killer app for tracking blood sugar is Bant.

When I have a few moments, I check the nutrition data on favorite and new foods. I like the caloric ratio pyramid at nutritiondata.self . Through browsing on here I found the magic balance of Edamame pods. A few of these and I get that wonderful slow, release of energy that I associate with good food.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit