Rooming

by shulamitemaden 13 Replies latest jw friends

• shulamitemaden
  • shulamitemaden
  • cedars
    cedars

If you're using Internet Explorer, try clicking on "compatibility view" in the address bar. You should then be able to post.

Cedars

• shulamitemaden
  • shulamitemaden
    shulamitemaden

Thank you Cedars! What i was asking is if anyone remembers rooming? Back in the 70's there was a big convention comming. People would be driving in from Canada and other states. They didn't have much money so to offset the price, if you had extra rooms in your house you were encouraged to take them in. That didn't fill the demand so the brother would go out in service and in addition to placing magazines they would ask people if they had extra rooms in their house for the travling brothers and sisters to stay in. I was only a kid but i remember being so embarassed.

• cedars
    cedars

I remember something similar in the UK in the 80s when I was little. My family provided accommodation to families from further afield once or twice.

Cedars

• exwhyzee
  • Decided
    Decided

I remember rooming very well. Back in the 50s I was in charge of rooming for our circuit assembly. My dad died about a month before the assembly. We would go door to door and ask if they would rent a room for two days for the assembly attenders. I had to keep a list and assign the ones that sent in a request to an address. I would call the householder to be sure it was still available. I was 19 years old then.

Ken P.

• Deceived
    Deceived

YES I remember that, I was a child so didn't do the rooming but we stayed in the rooms when we went to the assemblies in the US as we were in Canada and my parents were poor because they were full time pioneers. I was 10 the first time we stayed in a room in New York City

It was awful I remember, my Mom making me tiptoe and not use the bathroom unless I had too because it might disturb the non JW people we were staying with. We had to leave a good Witness to impress them you know Lol. Very uncomfortable to stay in some strange peoples spare bedroom. Weird and crazy.

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

It is not a good witness to be a member of a religion that denies you a decent education so that you can afford a room somewhere.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit