Sale of branch HQ in New Zealand.

by sizemik 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sizemik
  • sizemik
    sizemik

Sorry about that . . .

The article here http://www.nzherald.co.nz/property/news/article.cfm?c_id=8&objectid=10816501 . . .

. . . appears in the commercial section of our largest NP.

It gives a bit of a sales-pitch type description and photo.

What amused me, was the reason given by a WTS spokesman for the sale . . .

Monty Gower, NZ branch co-ordinator for Jehovah's Witnesses, says technological advancements in digital communication, publishing and translation methods, and the consolidation of some New Zealand operations in Australia, mean the organisation no longer needs such a large property.

"Jehovah's Witnesses are committed to maintaining a strong profile and presence in New Zealand and the funds released from the sale will be used in other charitable religious activities, particularly those which have strong community links," says Gower.

• cedars
    cedars

Thanks for posting this sizemik. Whichever way the Society spins this - the closure of a branch effectively marks a strategic withdrawal from the country in question, as necessitated (in this case) by ever-dwindling donations. I'm sure many more branch closures will follow of similar magnitude to New Zealand, Norway and Ireland. It will certainly be interesting to see what number of branch offices we are left with in the next worldwide report. 2011 saw an unprecedented 16% reduction, which will be difficult to top - but never say never!

Cedars

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Being in Bethel is the most cult like experience that a JW can have, due to Bethel life being more isolated, having excessive rules and a commune lifestyle. The more that close down, the lower number of individual JWs that will be affected by such an unnatural lifestyle.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nice. Hopefully, the witlesses will disappear from that fine country and never again be a blemish on your peaceful lives.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

"Jehovah's Witnesses are committed to maintaining a strong profile and presence in New Zealand and the funds released from the sale will be used in other charitable religious activities, particularly those which have strong community links," says Gower.

Is that how they define paying child sexual mostation judgements now?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

Okay I asked this in the other one and somebody did respond to it but they didn't sound 100% certain, does the freezing of JW assets only apply to assets in the US?

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

It will certainly be interesting to see what number of branch offices we are left with in the next worldwide report. 2011 saw an unprecedented 16% reduction, which will be difficult to top - but never say never!

I wouldn't be surprised if they redefine their idea of branch offices as simply an office that is attached to a Kingdom Hall in each country. Each will have a PO Box and a pioneer will come in once a day to handle the mail and check any phone messages. Translators will just work from their homes and email files. With that approach, they can prop up their meaningless statistics.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

Freeze, I think it was determined that the assets will be available to the WTS once they buy an "appeal bond" or put the amount of the judgement in escrow under the courts control.

http://silentlambs.org/newsletter/NewsLetterItem.cfm?SendoutID=591

• cedars
    cedars

Billy - yes, I came to the same conclusion myself. It might be that, for the time being, the Society thinks it can reduce the branch office figure without anyone noticing. However, once the numbers get REALLY low, we might find the following structures begin to qualify as "branch offices" just to bump up the numbers...

jungle hut

igloo

shed

Cedars

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit