Do You Think That You Should Be Punished For Letting Drivers Know There Is A Speed Trap Along Their Route?

by minimus 36 Replies latest jw friends

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

During the early days of the Milhous Nixon Memorial Double Nickel Speed Limit, some highway patrolmen would park on top of an overpass, listening on their own CB until they heard the "smokey reports" warning everybody where they were. Then they'd move on down to another overpass and repeat. Properly executed, this allowed one officer to seem to be in three different places at once, slowing down traffic on a long stretch of highway to the legal limit.

The point of this is, being conspicuous and actively seeking to publicize their whereabouts via the truckers' grapevine was a very effective way to get people driving at safe, legal speeds. The ones who hide out trying to write as many tickets as possible are less effective at slowing traffic--but more effective at generating revenue from traffic fines.

If the object is traffic safety, let them flash the lights. And trade in the plain-white unmarked cars for a black-and-white cruiser with big reflective "Highway Patrol" decals on every side, and a big light bar on the roof. But if the goal is just to collect fines, they'll keep the enforcement out of sight.

• VM44
    VM44

How in the world did TWO of her cell phones become broken?

One perhaps, but both?

• NOLAW
    NOLAW

Someone called me?

Hmm there is a sign with a 40 speed limit, I use to pass with over 80! Unless it is raining it is completely safe. The bastards put those signs and cameras to force you to use toll highways and steal your money.

NOLAW

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Just think about this for a minute. A woman was penalized for encouraging people to comply with the law.

Did I fall through a wormhole into a parallel Earth or something?

If the local constables have a business model of increasing public safety, then she assisted their mission and it would be wise to reward her.

If their business model is to collect revenue and compromise public safety doing that, then she should be penalized for what she did.

I see the police outed their business model on this one, and every official in the chain of command above patrol officer should be dismissed for malfeasance and betrayal of public trust.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

They actually wish to get as many drivers to kiss butts as possible. That can only be done if they play games with speed limits. Things like putting a sign that the speed limit is 80 km/h, lowering it to 70 km/h a few meters away (of course, hiding the 70 sign), then returning it to 80 a few meters beyond that and placing an ambush speed trap in the short 70 zone. Or, putting speed limits so low that most motorists go faster (or, they fall asleep at the wheel). Putting speed limits low enough for little old ladies to break them, then having speed traps, is going to ensnare a lot of motorists. Which creates dangerous situations, as some will keep the speed limit while others will go at a reasonable and prudent speed (which could be as much as 40 km/h above the posted limit).

Then, when there is a real hazard and the safe speed is around 30 km/h, people think it's just another game and drive 60 or 70--into a tree. Needless to say, having the speed limit consistently near the maximum safe speed will cut back on this--if the speed limit is 30, it is for a reason. Not to mention, it is safer to do 140 km/h and make it home at a reasonable time than doing only 90 and falling asleep at the wheel.

Also, in the United Tyranny of Stupidity where everything is still in dinosaur miles, 55 saves nothing. About all 55 saves is a reason for people to fall asleep at the wheel. And, whatever happened to going all the way back to 60? Remember when the 2-lane highways had speed limits of 60? Then they knocked it down to 55. The Interstates (in New Hampshire, at least) had a 70 speed limit (miles) (60 in major cities). Then came 55. Then, they released it slowly to 65--in the cities, it is still 55! You used to be able to go 60 before 1974--and 70 away from major cities. And 60 on 2-lane highways. Technology has advanced--why is it more dangerous to do 60 today with better cars, anti-lock brakes, air bags, traction control, and better tires than it was to do 60 back in 1972 when seat belts weren't even what they are today?

• Glander
    Glander

Interstate 5 through the state of Washington is a patchwork of speed limits, from 55, 65, 75 and changes for no apparent reason. Drivers who use cruise control have to stay on their toes. I have received only two speeding tickets in the last twenty years, both on I-5 in WA.

• minimus
    minimus

I'm impressed that so many regard this issue as you do. I too think it's wrong that cops routinely go faster than the speed limit and we can't do anything about it....It's not fair!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit