Betrayal

by breakfast of champions 12 Replies latest jw friends

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

So far when I have seen the word 'betrayal' or 'betrayed' on these boards, it's in reference to how we feel betrayed by the Watchtower Society, family, or individuals within the organization. We all understand this feeling well. I can relate to many of the sentiments expressed.

But the other night with my therapist, towards the very end of the session, the word 'betrayal' came up in reference to myself.

The therapist noted that I seemed to be 'holding back' with her. I tearfully explained that airing my 'grievances' and revealing 'secrets' to an outsider (my therapist) I feel as though I am betraying everyone and everything I have ever known. In the logical part of my mind, I know what I am doing is right and I have absolutely no doubts or real reasons to feel this way, but yes, in the irrational pit of my stomach, I feel like a betrayer.

Just so happens I picked up a book from the university library entitled "Betrayals" by sociologist Gabriella Turnaturi (she was recently cited in the study edition of the Watchtower and it piqued my interest). Check out his quote from p.20, 21. It's a little long, but I think it's worth the read:

"In every form of interaction, every lasting relationship, one of the subjects can change, slowly or suddenly modifying his ways of thinking about himself, of narrating his views, and of relating not only to the other but the world at large. Anyone who is undergoing phases of change tends to eliminate routines and habits that, over the course of time, had become rules of behavior and tacit pacts: he or she abandons a universe of shared meaning. The very fact of the change appears to the other as betrayal, because it erodes all reliance on what had been certain, all mutual understanding within the universe of the habitual.

"The person who changes becomes unpredictable, even unrecognizable, for the other. Change, moving away from routine, is perceived as a form of abandonment, as if the changed person had chosen a route leading outside the We, leaving the We by the wayside. This change is experienced as betrayal, not only within a pair connected by love or friendship but also by a group or community that finds it difficult to accept the fact that one of its members might adopt new parameters of judgement. Every change is perceived as a threat to the status quo and brings with it the suspicion of a possible betrayal. Every betrayal is an unexpected break that subverts implicit or explicit rules."

I enjoyed this passage because it explains the relationship between change and betrayal, and the universal tension between the individual and the 'We'. It also helps me to understand this feeling of being a betrayer or betraying everyone and everything which I am experiencing:

I have left the "We" of the Organization "by the wayside," overturning their illogical groupthink and adopting "new parameters of judgement." This part doesn't bother me so much.

I feel as though I have threatened the "status quo" with my wife - a happy, peaceful relationship.

But the worst I fear, and what I think is bothering me the most, is that I will become "unrecognizable" to my wife and family.

I hope that is not the case, and so far it doesn't seem to be so. I'm sure if my new path helps lead my wife and other family out of the organization, these feelings of betrayal will subside entirely. But dealing with the uncertainty of how this will all play out, the gut feeling of being a betrayer is hard to shake.

• JRK
    JRK

I found in therapy, it really helps to mention your cult background. When I finally did that, I received the help I needed.

JK

• wasblind
    wasblind

((((((( BOC )))))))

Thank you so much for sharin' , it's not only a help to you but to others who read your post

• justmom
    justmom

Hello Breakfastofchampians..

My thoughts and prayer go out to you and yours today.

Thank you for sharing.

This is truly where your prayers for your wife/family are heard by Jah. You are NOW understanding possibly the fulfillment of

1 Peter 3: 1&2 and yes it can apply to husbands not just wives as in your case.

Your "CONDUCT" is the greatest words you can now say to show you can live the Christ without the "We" (organization) Worshiping truly in SPIRIT (not what see can see or where we go) and TRUTH (Jaheshua/...I am the way/truth/life)

My husband and I have lost all our family inside but we have been blessed to stay in union with our Lord and come out together.

My our Lord and master comfort you and give you peace that excels during this difficult time.

justmom

• Hermano
    Hermano

But the worst I fear, and what I think is bothering me the most, is that I will become "unrecognizable" to my wife and family.

My wife and I went through this. As have others on this site. We had to develop a whole new set of rituals and routines outside the religion.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

JRK - thanks. The cult background is a big part of my therapy sessions, and while some of the JW speak is still foreign to my therapist, she gets the overall idea.

WASBLIND - thank you!

JUSTMOM - thank you. It's encouraging to know folks get out with their spouses and sometimes even their whole families. Glad it worked out that way for you.

HERMANO - that is kind of what I'm working on now - establishing kind of an alternative routine outside of meetings and field service - and I try to help my wife miss as many meetings doing activities SHE wants to do.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I can really relate to your feelings. My evolution is similar but it does not involve an exit from the Witnesses. I have also become aware that even though I am comfortable in my own skin, having chewed over the changes within myself and assimilated new ideas and modes of being, those around me do not have the same context.

What seems obvious to me is not so for others.

I am pretty sure the response means patience.

It seems to work well to give my family mildly disturbing questions to chew over. I now steadily challenge my hubby's homophobia by saying things like, "So exactly what is wrong with the gay lifestyle?" or "Jehovah hasn't turned anyone to salt for thousands of years."

• yknot
    yknot

Thank you for posting......

I think some of us try to inject the broadened parameters into the 'we'......

By including others slowly (like very cautiously slow) we take the fear of change/different....

But she sooooo nailed that explanation!!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

JGNAT - It is really weird how this all translates in peoples minds. I KNOW that the people around me KNOW there's something different about me, but what it is exactly, they're not sure. I guess I'm starting to grow weary of 'playing the game.' Too much intersubjectivity!

YKNOT - Thanks! Yeah, she really does a good job with this subject. I had actually gotten the book out for my wife, but she isn't used to the academic writing style - she likes a good bathtub/beach book without so much analysis. I would recommend it, though. Good stuff. Probably finish it over the weekend.

• Nellie
    Nellie

I can relate to your fears about your wife.....once upon a time I was that wife - watching my husband drift/pull away and worried that I too would be left behind. The best piece of advice I can give you on this subject is to go out of your way to keep her secure in your love and relationship. My husband flat out told me once when I shared my fears that I was mistaken if he thought the only thing that kept him home was the organization. His love for me had absolutely nothing to do with THEM and everything to do with ME! Today, we've both left THEM behind and our love is as strong as can be.

Wishing you much success in your journey! - Nellie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit