How ManyYears Did You Waste Being A Jehovah's Witness?

by minimus 79 Replies latest jw friends

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

I was held captive 26 years

13 as a child who based her self worth on how well she sold magazines at the door - before the donation arrangement.

5 as a baptized, regular pioneer who based her self worth on how many hours, placements, studies, etc she had. One month I hit 160 hrs...

8 as a confused, inactive JW who felt no self worth because I still believed that I was not good enough.

But I have made up for a lot in the last 6 years by realizing that I am smart, fun, accomplished woman. I am a nice person and a loyal friend. My self worth comes from within now!!

• Rocky_Girl
    Rocky_Girl

oops, double post

• neverscreamagain
    neverscreamagain

Almost 40 years wasted, all of this time could have been spent doing something more worthwile. As a result of me being the one who was the steadfast one or anchor in the religion, it eventually drug many of my family in. Wish I would have woke up sooner. Have only got my son out at this point, working on the rest.

Many good people, evil cult.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

1978-2007 for me, not all a waste I still enjoyed life despite the cult.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I wholeheartedly endorse what minimus said about not looking back. The great baseball pitcher Satchel Page said the same thing: "Don't look back; something might be gaining on you." And as Ding related, for some of us our time as a Witness wasn't a total waste. Mine certainly wasn't. I learned many useful skills in speaking, teaching, and relating to other people thanks to the Theocratic Ministry and Pioneer Service Schools. The Service Meeting taught me how to effectively present ideas. The Watchtower Study (when conducted properly) showed me how to engage students in a classroom. Even the Public Talk had some value for me in presenting and discussing some interesting and even fascinating topics. Also, when I moved to Colorado to fulfill my lifelong dream of living in the state, it was the local congregation in Boulder which bent over backwards to help me find a job and housing.

However, as I've stated elsewhere, the bad fruitage of this cult outweighs the good it has done. The wreckage of broken families, terminated friendships, suicides and deaths of others due to a misguided medical stance have touched all of us even if indirectly. Those painful losses have been magnified by the cult's leadership refusing to take responsibility for the results its teachings and requirements have produced. Many of us followed the pied piper song the Governing Body played and have had a fortunate escape. I fear that when this cult finally reaches its own Weser River, its followers, like the rats in the old story, will meet a similar fate mentally, emotionally and spiritually.

Quendi

• minimus
    minimus

Some people HATE the fact that they ever were Witnesses. It WAS a part of my life and I am a product of my past. So be it. Life moves on. I won't get stuck in the past.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Minimus, I went back because I still thought it was the place for me.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Ten years from age 13 to 23, left with my wife in mid 1960's

• minimus
    minimus

Snowbird, why did you think that?

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

I came in contact with 2 Jehovah's Witness girls in school at age 14. Studied for 6 years (parents opposed), baptised at 20. Married a Witness at 21 in 1974 to have someone to go through Armageddon with. Raised 2 boys in the cult. Still married to the same man. Began leaving mentally in 2007. Thankfully my husband has come out of the cult with me. We totally left in 2011 when we moved 1000 miles away to start a new life.

So to answer your question minimus, I would say I was totally immersed in JW doctrine for 34 years.

The time spent slaving for the cult, meetings, field service, conventions, in retrospect was a total waste of time. But like others I have met some very good people whom I once called my friends. I am biding my time until my boys and their families escape the cult.

Reopened Mind

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit