society cutting costs?!

by greven 19 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

They MUST take good care of people at Paterson.

Why?

Because they need good lawyers and computer support,
    graphic artists, and accountants. They can't afford to lose
    these 'volunteers'.
    Also, they can't afford security leaks from disgruntled
    employees.

So, those dirt poor Witnesses in Africa
    can just drop dead,
    the glorious Watchtower Society Must Survive!

metatron

• DB
    DB

Yes, subscriptions in the USA will be halted. If you have a sub now, when it runs out, you will not be able to renew it. The only exceptions will be in areas hard to reach or perhaps by shut-ins, etc.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

It seems the U.S is just being brought in line with Europe. I can't remember how many years since we stopped having subs by mail in the U.K.
    This is an ongoing programme of "Simplification" which I think goes back to the last recession in the 80's. - includes cheapo paperback books , no food or drink at the assembies. "Make 'em carry their own flasks".
    Cut backs all round not helped by the reduction in revenue since the dubs have to contribute on an honesty basis for the literature.

At my last cong. I was secretary and checked the figs. regularly. The contributions to the Worldwide Work Fund were significantly down on the previous remittances for lit. That was despite my "motivating" talks on the subject!!

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Yes, the SUB-SHOP is closing down.

Guest 77

• Nemesis
    Nemesis

metatron:

So, those dirt poor Witnesses in Africa can just drop dead, the glorious Watchtower Society Must Survive!

Ha ha he, I had such a good laugh reading that—it reminded me of the Southpark episode “Starvin’ Marvin”, where the missionaries went to Africa, and would only feel the click click speaking natives if they accepted their religion—if not—they left them to stave to death as worthless scum. Funny but sad at the same time—it just made me laugh reading your comment.

• Farkel
    Farkel

BluesBrother,

: This is an ongoing programme of "Simplification" which I think goes back to the last recession in the 80's. - includes cheapo paperback books , no food or drink at the assembies.

That's not the way I understood it. In Europe, the taxing authorities found out the WTS was making a hefty profit from food sales and told them they would be taxed on their profit. They stopped food sales. Later, US taxing authorities became aware of the same thing, with the same result. There were other reasons, but I was told this was the MAIN one.

The local brothers and sisters got many food distribution companies to donate food to the assemblies when I was a dub. I know. I used to help go pick it up. Furthermore, the huge labor expense for normal food preparers and servers and cleaning was reduced to zero at the conventions. There is no way the society could have done anything but make a lot of money from their former food operations, even though the cost of a meal was quite cheap and the food was pretty darn good.

In order for the society to escape paying taxes on food at the assemblies they had to offer it on a donation basis and this they did.
    Problem is, those materialistic and eternally selfish dubs would grab handfulls of bags of potato chips, drinks, and meat and then donate nothing or very little. The society dropped food from assemblies because their own members wouldn't contribute enough for it to make it anything but a money-losing operation.

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Bluesy,

I was interested in your news that donations to WWW are less than the previous literature payments.

I wonder if that is the experience elsewhere?

Does anyone have information on the situation in their area? Are the donations to the WWW significantly down on the previous remittances for literature?

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is really interesting! Back when I were't a lad, the WT & A were much bigger than they are now.

They were both standard A4 size, ie, 11.5" x 8.25". The only difference was that the Awake was printed on standard bog roll quality paper whilst the WT was published on fine art printing paper.

One of the pluses conveyed to householders back then was, not just the number of languages that the mags were printed in, but the actual quaility of the paper that the WT was printed upon.

In later years, when various do-gooders decided that I was ready for re-instatement (they said that my wife was almost ready for subserviency classes), I was astonished at the cheapquality of the mags.

Englishman.

Bring on the dancing girls!

• wokeup
    wokeup

Ozzie, a recent internal survey at the local KH by the literature servant showed an average of 19 cents per item donated by the congregation over the past 5 years.This included the WT cd libraries and other 'high'dollar items. Seems to me if this is any kind of ind
    icator,headquarters is not happy.This is in the southern USA.

Allen

• Prisca
    Prisca

Subscriptions are still being mailed out in Australia, although it probably won't be that way for long.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit