A Day In The Life

by jbeau504 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Cacky
    Cacky

They say your heart condition is what matters. The only problem with that is if you ever get in to any trouble with the elders, it's their job to determine your heart condition! They'll tell you that isn't so, but it is. When my daughter was trying to get reinstated, the two elders were ready to, but one said "I'm not certain of her heart condition yet." I was stuck in that cult for 30 years of my adult life, from aged 20-50, for most of the reasons you mentioned, and had doubts like you did about the other things. They'll also tell you that if you are having doubts, or cold feet, about baptism, not to worry, because once you are baptized, Jehovah's spirit will work with you even more and your doubts will leave after that. Not true! I highly recommend doing outside research on the religion, try jwfacts.com, wikipedia and go on from there. Me, and I know of one other person, who finally did that with no intention of leaving the religion, learned in just a couple of hours, that we had just spent the majority of our lives in a cult. It's like a gaing or the mafia, if you have family in, because once in, you can't get out without losing your family. Maybe you don't have family in now, but if you marry and have kids, then come to the realization I did once the kids are entrenched, you're going to have a problem. I have heard jw women brag that they have never seen their grandchildren, because the parent of the grandchild was their df'd son or daughter. If you are male, you are most certainly being treated like a superstar because their elders and ministerial servants are dropping like flies, because of the Internet, so many are learning the truth about "the truth." And because elders are left to hang out to dry when legal issues come about.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

jbeau,

Imagine that you're looking to get a different car and go to a dealership lot for a look around. A salesman comes out ASAP to convince you that you need to get one of those cars today. He'll try to convince you that he's your friend and has your best interest at heart. He will want to convince you that they have the best cars and every other dealer is selling junk. He'll want you to fill out the paperwork right away... before you go out and shop around elsewhere.

What do you do? Do you follow his lead and unquestioningly sign because he is suddenly such a good friend and you want to convince him that you're a smart consumer to buy from him? Would you only consider the car company's glossy brochures and ignore any outside information?

I would strongly recommend that instead of listening to the salesmen, you walk away and do some research on the vehicle. What do Consumer Reports and other reviews say about the vehicle? What do owners of similar vehicles have to say, both good and bad? If it's really a great car, wouldn't the dealer encourage you to do independent research, shop around, compare and see that you're making a good choice? He should be able to directly answer any questions or concerns.

Obviously, choosing a religion is a bigger and more serious committment than buying a car. Shouldn't you put more research into this religion rather than just go along with the love-bombing JWs that will tell you how smart you are and how you're doing the right thing by joining their ranks? If they are the "true religion", shouldn't they welcome scrutiny of their history and critical examination of their "Bible scholarship"? If you ask questions or raise concerns about Jehovah's Witnesses, will such careful examination of 'truth' be welcomed or will they suddenly tell you that you sound like an 'apostate'?

• jbeau504
    jbeau504

I apoligize for being away for so long, guys.

I'm not an intellectual who obsesses over science or who has an axe to grind with organized religion. I actually want to find a path for myself spiritually, not run away from it. I don't *mind* being apart of a religion. That's a conscious, adult choice and doesn't mean your certifiable, crazy or stupid. My question is where do I go?

The JW's seem like the lesser of the numerous evils that i've seen out there (trust me i've explored other possibilities).

• jbeau504
    jbeau504

Btw, @billytheexbethelite I like your analogy. Sadly I do believe that i might get scrutiny but i'm not sure. I've never heard or seen anything seedy going on, maybe it's because i'm not looking behind closed doors but I always wondered how my mentor and other older brothers who are supposedly my 'friends' would react if i started to question something?...

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

Your dilemma would not be so pressing if one could just walk away from the WT. I am Anglican now. If I don't want to go to church, it is fine with them. I will not lose family or friends, not even in my local parish. If the Witnesses were not such an involving religion, with many hours dedicated to its purposes each week and life or death decisions, your present research is commendable. Too much is at stake not to challenge yourself more.

YOur gut is telling you to beware. I believe you want intimacy and community. JWs don't have great marriages. The WT is in bed with you. YOur primary loyalty is never to your spouse. Like you, I crave intimacy and community. Good manners and values are important to me. Character is essential. Every religion offers these to those who want them. Your options are limitless.

There are mainstream Christian faiths who though they believe in creeds believe the heart is all important. The Witnesses place exclusive reliance on works.

If you want to plunge ahead, we can't dissuade you. You chose to post here. Posting here is a major JW violation. You are apostate already.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit