What's Life Like After Leaving???

by Nellie 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Nellie
    Nellie

Wow! It's been over a year since I visited the site and SEVEN years since I joined! Seven years since I stumbled across this forum in my quest to finding out some serious answers about the organization I'd been a part of since childhood.

I never imagined that I'd have the blinders ripped off my eyes! After coming face to face with the whole UN scandal, I was compelled to keep digging. I am eternally grateful to everyone who encouraged me to read Crisis of Conscience. What a perfect title!!! Back then, that's exactly what I felt like I was going through!! Getting my conscience to quiet down long enough for me to "listen" to the dangerous apostates wasn't an easy thing for me to do. But all it takes is that first inkling of truth - and THEY know that! That's why they keep such a strong hold on your obedience! Do not read anything not published by the Society - Do not question what you read - Do not seek higher education (where you may learn a little something about history)....lots of Do Nots.

But that's not what this topic is supposed to be about. Are you wondering what your life will be like after falling down the rabbit hole? Well it definitely changes. Here are a few of the ways I was most affected:

1. I discovered who were my true friends. A true friend is someone who connects with your individual spirit. Most (if not all) JWs will not prove worthy of your friendship. Most will shun you. This will be painful, especially if you've been in your entire life. At the end of the day though, I know the people in my life now are there because they like/love ME and choose to be there.
    2. I had to learn to make decisions based on my own thought process. In the beginning, I questioned everything to see if the thought came from my own personal beliefs/thoughts or if it was a hold-over from my "training." It wasn't always easy - I had to be careful not to throw out the baby with the bath water - but I had to be sure I agreed with it and not because I was programmed to do so.
    3. Holidays - well, actually it started with birthdays. To celebrate or not? At first I let the kids go to parties and then I decided to let them have them. It took a few years, but when i decided that it was okay for us, I did so without guilt. After that, I thought about Christmas - now this was a big one! Yeah, I knew Jesus wasn't born on Dec 25th - yada, yada, yada....but the decision to celebrate it or not had to come from me. Ultimately I asked myself "why wasn't I celebrating it?" If the society had never told me "no" - wouldn't I have always celebrated it? So was I not celebrating it because I was following their rule, or because I seriously believed there was something wrong with it? I decided that there's no right and no wrong answer - BTW - the society allows many pagan practices - have you ever wondered why they allow some and not others?
    4. Sex, Drugs, Rock & Roll - Ending your relationship with the organization does not cause you to become a sex, drug craved derelict! It doesn't mean your marriage will end, your spouse will cheat, your kids will become drug addicts or gang bangers! And if I decide to do a little something-something - then that's MY decision and I'll live with it.
    5. Faith & Beliefs - I've concluded that for me, I don't and maybe won't ever have definitive answers ever again! I believe in a Higher Power, in doing Good towards others and respecting Life. I don't claim to know anything beyond that.

So....is it scary - HELL YEAH! But if you choose to, you can have a fulfilling, wonderful, meaningful life OUTSIDE the organization and you don't have to look any further for great examples of the possibility - or for help along your path getting there. Wishing you nothing but the BEST that life has to offer! - Nellie

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Where you been hidin' stranger, how's Mr. Nelly and the fam doing?

Any new scoop about the folks we know?

• Fernando
    Fernando

Hey Nellie!

Welcome back, and thanks for sharing.

• inkling
    inkling

It's like you have been wearing one of those dust masks your entire life and then one day you take it off and realize what breathing feels like.

[inkling]

• Aussie Oz
    Aussie Oz

I Like you post nellie! Took me a whole lot longer to get normal.

whats life like after leaving?

BLOODY FANTASTIC!

oz

• soft+gentle
    soft+gentle

thanks nellie

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Great post, and congrats on getting on with your life!

I've come to similar conclusions myself, especially about why I do some things and not others. Sometimes you may feel some WT thinking trying to wiggle in but you can soon get rid of that!

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

Hi Nellie, I feel very similar to you! Life is great and the freedom to make informed decisions is fantastic.....

The knee-jerk for me was loosing ALL the friends Id made over 6 years........so lonely! Then the lightbulb went on, they weren't my "friends" to begin with, and that realisation was an eye opener for me........I have real friends now who love me warts and all, and for the right reasons.

Life is sweet! I wish you all you wish for yourself, and welcome back to the forum

• GromitSK
    GromitSK

I got booted out and only found out what a crock it is many years later. Lost all my friends whe I became a JW and lost em all again when I exited. I am not sure life is much easier in term of practicalities (other than fitting in all the stupid meetings) but at least it is real.Oh yeah, and thankfully I think my JW experience has inoculated me against organised religion quite effectively lol.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Welcome back, Nellie, and thanks for your post. I especially appreciated what you said about celebrating the holidays. My evolution on that was similar to yours. First, I decided to be part of other people's birthday celebrations. Next, I observed the American Thanksgiving, going so far last year as to prepare the entire feast! Then I finally did Christmas. I realized that I wasn't celebrating Christ's birth but the love and joy I shared with the people who mattered the most to me. So last Christmas was the first I had celebrated in more than thirty-five years. I was then living in Colorado, and wouldn't you know it, that Christmas was a white one.

As the Alan Parsons Project put it in their album I, Robot: "FREEDOM, FREEDOM, TAKE THE WALLS AWAY!" That's how I feel now that I'm out for good and all.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit