Vigils Held Around the Country for Young Couple Kristene and Mollie After Shooting

by AK MCGRATH 17 Replies latest social current

• yknot
    yknot

Its politics....and this is a political season.

Biden kicked it off with his comments ......

Frankly I am disappointed that both parties are highlighting this over say I dunno the 'economy'......

I just read that Chapa is able to communicate with the police!

Would have hated this to turn into a version of the Adrianne Jones case where it takes years to crack due to the higher level of social interaction of teenagers.

• talesin
    talesin

AK - check yr pm. :))

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

TY, tales..and you likewise.

• designs
    designs

Read the sad story yesterday, thanks for posting it here. The Governor should hold a press conference and address the issue, I wonder if....

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

There are some sick people, what else can be said.

It is ok then to MURDER someone if they are GLBT?

Are we certain this is a hate crime? I'm certainly not dismissing the possibility, and it's a tragedy regardless of the reason. But from what I've read there is no known motive. We don't know that their sexuality was the reason they were killed, or even played a role. It may have been random, or one of the girls may have been targeted for a different reason altogether.

I'm just saying, lets get all the facts before enflaming people's passions on the issue.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

What you quoted above was my response to the comment I read in a story EARLIER than in reading about this tragedy. The way the Texas Republican Party wants it, is that NO ONE should be punished for a hate crime against the GLBT community. This execution-style shooting was done in Texas as well. But hey, it's ok two young women were shot in the back of the head, cuz they were gay, random or not, right?

The story may pan out that this was just some crazed attack by some looney, shooting two young girls for no apparent reason. According to one police source, they were shot in the back of the head, in close range, with a large weapon, about midnight. A couple found them the next morning, in tall grass, probably where they were shot.

However, my feeling, and in reading what I have, that more times than not, people are thinking they were targeted. This month is also PRIDE month and there are a lot of parades going on these days. Who knows if that played into anything.

The fact is, when you have religious leaders and other people in an authoritative positions spewing annimosity and basically telling people it is ok for you to do harm to someone else, even to the point of committing cold-blooded MURDER, it is alright and you will NOT be punished, it is abusive, hate-filled speech, and it is fucking repulsive!

The latest update..2 hours ago..an interview with Mary Chapa's brother. My heart goes out to both these families...and Mary keeps writing Mollie's name down. I feel so terrible that this young lady will not only have a long battle before her, but will now also have to learn her girlfriend was killed

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12459116-brother-of-lesbian-teen-shot-in-head-shes-fighting?lite

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I don't disagree with anything you've written. Don't mistake my post for an endorsement of the hateful rhetoric from those on the far right. I voted against the defense of marriage act when it was put on the ballot in 2008. I consider myself fairly liberal.

I'm just saying, we should proceed with a little caution in this particular case. The only thing we know for sure is that the victims happen to be lesbian. By making their sexuality a focal point, the media is steering people to a conclusion, that up to this point, is completely unsubstantiated. It may well turn that they were targeted because of their sexuality. But let's wait and see. The victims deserve no less than for the truth to be known.

• AK MCGRATH
    AK MCGRATH

Yes, keyser. I am hoping it is not glbt related, but the end result is, no matter WHY they were killed, two lives were wasted...it is a shame any way you look at it..In fact, any young life cut short disturbs me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit