Canadian Newspaper Willing to Cover Watchtower Child Abuse Issue

by headisspinning 23 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

We need your help! I have been in touch with a Canadian reporter for a major newspaper. she is interested in covering the Candace Conti story but needs to make it relevant to Canadians. So, she has asked if there is a Canadian victim of child abuse who would be willing to speak with her. The person would not necessarily need to reveal their last name. She just needs the story.

Is there anyone out there who is willing to help?

Please let me know asap.

Thank you very much!

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Here is a message directly from the reporter with her appeal to any Canadian victims. Please contact me or Wendy directly. Thank you very much!

Hey there, I am a reporter with the Toronto Star in Canada. I am hoping to write an article about the Canadian implications of the Candace Conti ruling this month. I am looking for a Canadian current or former JW who is open to speaking about sexual abuse in their life. I know it's an incredibly difficult topic and would be very respectful of that. But I do need someone who can illustrate the problem in Canada by telling their story. Please be in touch if you think you can help. You can message me on Facebook or email me at [email protected] All the best, Wendy
  • yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

I'm fowarding this on french speaking forums...

• blondie
    blondie

I would check with Barbara Anderson. She has many contacts in that area and if she doesn't know someone personally she can put you in contact .

Andersoninfo on JWN

• talesin
    talesin

If anyone is still in touch with Kwintestal, he is in the TO area .... and may be willing to talk to a reporter. He's done it before, just read his threads.

xo

tal

• Scully
    Scully

About a decade ago, there was a major case in Canada. Vicki Boer was awarded a paltry $5000 for sexual abuse by her JW father.

I don't know if she'd be willing to talk to the reporter.

Here is a bit of background. http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/child-abuse/54590/1/LANDMARK-DECISION-Vicki-Boer-vs-Watchtower-Society

• JWinprotest
    JWinprotest

I was just lamenting to my wife as to why this case was getting no coverage here in Canada. The Toronto Star is a big stage and from there usually gets picked up by tv news stations. I don't understand why she has to have the testimony of a Canadian abuse victim to make it relevant to Canadians. These people are crawling around neighborhoods all over Canada every morning knocking on their doors....I'd say that's pretty f%$&ing relevant to Canadians!

• talesin
    talesin

Posted to some groups in f/b ,,, :))

• headisspinning
    headisspinning

Thank you for all the suggestions. I did try contacting Barbara Anderson on Facebook but no reply yet. I will try on here too. I have also suggested to Wendy Gillis that she try contacting her directly.

I also looked up information on Vicky Boer's case and sent that along as well.

Also, pretty big news is that the Toronto Star reporter had a lengthy, three way telephone interview with both Candace Conti and her lawyer this afternoon!

• yalbmert99
    yalbmert99

Cool news!:)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit