A Kinder, Gentler Jehovah Emerges at the 2012 DC?

by Socrateswannabe 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

Having attended this summer's district convention, I'm confused. Has a kinder, gentler Jehovah emerged?

Acquiring An Obedient Heart-Is It Possible? Even wicked ones who have a bad heart (2 Chron. 33:6 re: King Manasseh) can be adjusted. From verses 12 and 15-16 of that chapter, we can glean that Jehovah obviously focuses on our heart condition and not on a single act of disobedience. The accounts of David's sin with Bathsheba and the turnaround of King Manasseh are in the bible for a reason--to show us that Jehovah is ready to forgive past sins. Jehovah doesn't want us to beat ourselves up over past sins, but wants us to move forward (and with no mention of the necessity of a confession either to God or to a judicial committee in order to accomplish that).

Do You Have A Balanced View of Yourselves? Many of us think too little of ourselves. 2 Samuel 24:10 says that David's heart began to beat him after his sin with Bathsheba. The speaker then said, "But sometimes your heart continues to beat you up long after it should stop." More words of comfort followed, but again, there was no call to confess.

Symposium: Guard Your Heart Against the Words of the Flesh/Fornication, Uncleanness, and Brazen Conduct. A more tolerant view toward homosexuals? Sort of. While still hating the sin (homosexuality), we imitate God in his view of the person practicing the wrong: "Let it be known that we honor men and women of all sorts, regardless of their sexual orientation." The speaker said that the bible doesn't comment on genetic issues and so the organization likewise can make no comment on that aspect of the issue, but homosexuals can be held to the same standard as heterosexual single persons: they can choose not to act upon their urges.

God Is Greater Than Our Hearts. Many times we are too self-critical, we over-estimate what Jehovah expects of us, and we feel guilty over past sins. We are reminded of Ps 38:4-10, where it says that Jehovah puts our sins so far away from himself that it is like from the sunrise to the sunset. God is, according to 1 John 3:19-20, "greater than our hearts." Jehovah sees, not just what we do, but he searches our hearts for right inclinations and recognizes more than just our imperfect actions. He sees our potential for good as well as our bent toward badness.Jehovah knows our genetics and our circumstances and takes these things into consideration. He knows that many of us want to do better, but like the apostle Paul, we oftentimes fall short.

Symposium: Serve Jehovah With Your Whole Heart, As Did...Peter. When Peter denied Jesus three times, it was not because he was a wicked person; he was simply caught off guard. Jesus was able to see past this momentary indiscretion, as evidenced by the fact that he appeared to Peter one-on-one soon thereafter; obviously a sign of his forgiveness toward him. Peter rejoined the rest of the apostles and disciples and picked up where he left off in the ministry rather than tucking his tail and running because of his sin. We can imitate Peter when, even having committed a grave sin, we immediately seek out association with our spiritual brothers and sisters at the meetings. We can't allow a grave sin to paralyze us; rather we must continue to move ahead. We must repent and receive forgiveness, not sit around and punish ourselves. When we fall, what matters most is not the depth of our fall but the strength that we show in getting up. After all, Prov. 24:16 says that righteous will fall seven times!

Are you as confused as I? Is this the "new" Jehovah? Has the WTS reinvented him to be more tolerant of our foibles, and even our "grave sins"? I was especially surprised by the comment, "Jehovah knows our genetics and our circumstances and takes these things into consideration." Has the WTS ever before admitted that genetics and circumstances (or nature and nurture) might come into play when it comes to our ability to follow their rigid code of conduct? Seems to me in the past their stance was, "No excuse!"

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

Thanks for posting your notes! Sorry you had to be there. ;-) I get to go myself in a few weeks...yay!! Did it sound like a manuscript talk? I wonder if perhaps it was a liberal soul that snuck in some of his own thoughts...hmmm. I'll be looking for that one.

TD

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

As an old timer Bethelite said, "There is a war going on at Bethel"

• St George of England
    St George of England

Jehovah has nothing to do with it.

It's the GB that run the show.

George

• ammo
    ammo

The Co over sunshine coast in qld australia gave a talk not far off that in Feb this year.

I have not been back since the memorial and won't be attending again, but I did note that last talk of his I heard, and I did think what a gentle loving and upbuilding msg he had for everyone and maybe that the powers that be know they are sucking the life out of people and they may have to start treating them as human beings that make mistakes and beat themselves up, instead of robots thats just need some fine tuning through guilt and discipline.

• sabastious
    sabastious

It's sick manipulation to berate a populace for so long and inculcate original sin into their minds and then "warmly scold" them about thinking "too lowly" of themselves. There is no kinder, gentler Jehovah emerging. It's just more of the same of the psychological mind *&$# that the Watchtower has to offer. It's much like how a wife beater acts. They beat you and then they have this warm touchy feely phase where they try to make up only to "sucumb" to physical violence when it wears off. Don't let the abuser fool you into more abuse.

-Sab

• breakfast of champions
  • Ding
    Ding

In WT lingo "serve Jehovah" = meeting attendance and field service.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but it sounds like they're making a special effort to get drifting JWs to come back in and obey the GB.

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

@tresdecu: I don't think any talks are manuscripts any more, even at the DC. I could be wrong about that but I think they're all outlines and the instructions are to stick closely to the script, but that it's acceptable to throw in a few short, appropriate experiences or illustrations to make things interesting. I doubt that this Kinder and gentler Jehovah was the result of a rogue speaker, especially since these notes are from five separate talks and five different speakers over the three days. There's an agenda there, I just can't figure out what it is.

• Hermano
    Hermano

As an old timer Bethelite said, "There is a war going on at Bethel"

I think this is very possible, JakeM2012.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit