Mosaic Law - Can anyone help to explain

by Bells 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bells
    Bells

Thanks everyone - though my head is still spinning a bit :)

I'm just wondering how they explain not following a law that came directly from god? I guess one of the main bits that strikes me (and admittedly I am not completely familiar with the whole law) is the bit about women with their periods being unclean. Obviously a God who created women would not say this, so I don't believe it could be from God... But anyway, that's sort of beside the point (I'm confusing myself - I don't even know what my own point is, sorry haha)

New Chapter thanks so much for your insightful explanation - I don't really understand the bit though about 'Jesus fulfilling the law and so it ended'?

What does that mean - how did he fulfil it (by dying on the stake?) and why did that mean it ended? Surely if it was God's law, it would not change..??

Sorry - I know this post is a bit everywhere! :)

B

• Balaamsass
    Balaamsass

You will need to speak to a Rabbi. :) Jehovahs Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists are more confused than you. They are torn between wanting to be stylish Jews or stylish Amish. My wife says JWs are Amish with lipstick. I tend to think of JWs as Hasidim who visit super cuts, buy polester, and love bacon...it's a family feud.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

New Chapter thanks so much for your insightful explanation - I don't really understand the bit though about 'Jesus fulfilling the law and so it ended'?

Lesson two: LOL

Okay--the law was meant to remind the israelites that they were in need of a messiah. the law was a 'tutor' teaching them about the christ. nobody was able to fullfill the law perfectly, and was meant to be a constant reminder of their sinful nature and need for a savior. it was also meant to separate them from the nations around them. the constant animal sacrifice was the reminder that they needed a superior sacrifice. because the animals were never enough, and had to be offered all the time. when jesus came, he fullfilled that law that had been pointed toward him. he also offered up the perfect sacrifice once for all time.

No longer did the people need to be reminded of their need for a savior, he had come. No longer did they need to offer animal sacrifice, the perfect one had been offered. The law was fullfilled. That is how JW"s see the law.

And they don't separate the 10 commandments from the rest of the law. Some religions do because they were written by the finger of god, and not through another person. But they insist that it was just part of the rest of the law. All the principles of the 10 commandments still hold though---except one. The sabbath. That passed away too---there are lots of articles written about the new spiritual sabbath, but I can't quite remember how that goes.

So now, they are to live according to principle, not law, which would seem to be a contradiction, because there are still laws--but they are to look to the principle BEHIND the law. For instance---don't murder. Not enough---the principle would say that one should not even become so angry as to WANT to murder. Don't fornicate---not enough. Then prinicple would compel one not to even THINK lingeringly on fornication---as this already causes one to sin.

Hope that helps. scuze the lower case, i'm tired.

NC

• Diest
    Diest

You know it was important stuff because the first time God scrawled it out Moses ran down a mountain and threw it on the ground.....He was not a smart man. He didn’t think, 'hmmm it took God a month to write 10 sentences, maybe I could set this down and then bitch out the Israelites.' No no, break it to pieces and act like a moron with the very first thing god ever wrote.

All of this over a golden calf that could never be made in the desert, because gold melts at 1,064° C (1,948° F). That is way hotter than you could get a fire to burn with crappy desert woods, no stove, or billows etc.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Maybe Ba'al heated the flame for them.

• smiddy
    smiddy

N C

I know I`m a bit thick at times but what`s with the not mixing fabrics bit ? and TD`s comment: it`s gone way over my head

smiddy

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

They weren't supposed to weave cloth by mixing linen and wool.

Deuteronomy 22:11

11 “You shall not wear a material mixed of wool and linen together.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Maybe the forty lashes was just tradition---not sure now. But here were the laws about beating a slave:

Beating and Killing Slaves: Although an owner could beat a male or female slave, she/he would have to avoid serious injury to eyes or teeth. The owner would have to avoid beating the slave to death. But it was acceptable to beat a slave so severely that it only disabled him or her for two days:
    Exodus 21:20-21 "And if a man smite his servant, or his maid, with a rod, and he die under his hand; he shall be surely punished. Notwithstanding, if he continue a day or two, he shall not be punished: for he is his money [property]."
    Exodus 21:26-27 "And if a man smite the eye of his servant, or the eye of his maid, that it perish; he shall let him go free for his eye's sake. And if he smite out his manservant's tooth, or his maidservant's tooth; he shall let him go free for his tooth's sake."
  • still thinking
    still thinking

Don't forget the 'cloth' New Chapter...LOL I wonder if they uses wool or linen for that......my guess....linen.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

The mixing of fabrics thing was way ahead of its time, Jehoober knew that if I wore nylon under pants and wool trousers the resulting static electricity would blow my balls off !

They hypocritically actually quote some laws when it suits them, and ignore the ones that don't, ignoring even the principle behind such laws, a long history of taking scriptures out of context, and ignoring embarassing ones, continues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit