Mosaic Law - Can anyone help to explain

by Bells 45 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bells
    Bells

I'm hoping someone can shed a little light in regards to the Witnesses stance around Mosaic Law?

As I understand it, they don't follow the Law, however do take some principles from it.

So - do they think that the Mosaic Law came directly from God? (and if so, why do they no longer follow it).

Also, how do they know which parts they are meant to ignore and which parts they should 'take the principles from'.

Is anyone able to explain their stance around Mosaic Law to me?

Thanks!! :)

B

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

I shall try.

The Mosaic law came directly from God, and was a covenant between physical Israel and Jehovah. Jesus fullfilled that law, and so ended it. The only parts they hold as still valid are parts repeated by Jesus as still in force, or parts that came before the law. For instance, Noah was given the prohibition on eating animal blood long before the Mosaic law was written, and the blood thing was restated in the Greek Scriptures---so they keep it.

As far as principles, this is where they get to be creative. Tattoos for instance. Christians are not prohibited from getting them, because they are not under the law. However, the law against tattoos was to separate the Israelites from the nations around them. So the principle is still a good one---do you want to look like the world? How would that be viewed by people that know you are a Christian? What about the most important thing you do---the ministry---wouldn't that look bad? So while we are not under law when it comes to tattoos, the principlel is still valid.

*I stated the above in a positive manner---it's all bullshit to me and should not be understood to mean that I agree with any of it.

Hope that helps.

NC

• elderelite
    elderelite

As NC explained. It came directly from god and they argue all the time about how advanced it was for its day, thus proving its origin... Not to be follwed today but the principles hold true because god dosent change.

Thats the basics... Is there a back story or some other facet that may help ....?

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

They follow it in this sense...

ML says not to cut your beard....no beards for JWs.

ML says no tats...tats are frowned upon.

ML says to have a blue fringe around the bottom of your clothes....no fringe for JWs.

ML says no blood.... no blood for JWs.

Like all of the Xtian groups, they pick and choose which parts they like.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

It came directly from god and they argue all the time about how advanced it was for its day, thus proving its origin...

I KNOW! It's absolutely astounding how advanced it was. Like that part about not mixing fabrics! With the limited knowledge of the people of the day, how did they ever figure out how important that was without God's intervention?

NC

• TD
    TD

Wow NC. That was very good.

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

Thanks TD---I used to be pretty good in the ministry. It's embarrassing now. LOL

• EntirelyPossible
    EntirelyPossible

NC, I personally prefer how I can beat my slave to the point of death, but as long they held on in agony for a few days, it was all good.

And what was with the no stirring the paint rule?

• NewChapter
    NewChapter

That's one of my favorite parts to EP. How would we have known how many times we could beat our slaves without killing them without this wise counsel?

• tec
    tec

From my study, jw's are not under mosaic law because of the letter to the gentile believers in Acts. Those set out the rules that Christians were to follow. I only did a two year study, so I probably never got the whole understanding on it.

Keep yourself from idols and abstain from blood. (that was in the letter)

But they are not consistent. Because they teach that Christ was speaking only to the annointed in his instruction and commands... BUT... they expect their non-annointed to do the same. Except for 'partaking' of his 'flesh and blood'. It does not make sense. Christ was speaking only to his disciples when he wanted them to 'eat and drink' of him; but his instruction about 'preaching to others' applies to everyone?

They do not follow their own rules of application.

Peace,

tammy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit