Proof that humankind existed at least 28,000 years ago

by The Oracle 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

I wonder how JWs will react to this recent evidence that intelligent man existed at least 22,000 years before Adam and Eve arrived on the scene?

It looks like membership will continue to decline as far as intelligent JWs are concerned. I'm sure there will be plenty of society's bottom feeders who will continue to find their way on to the JW publisher lists.

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — An archaeologist says he found the oldest piece of rock art in Australia and one of the oldest in the world: an Aboriginal work created 28,000 years ago in an Outback cave.

The dating of one of the thousands of images in the Northern Territory rock shelter known as Nawarla Gabarnmang will be published in the next edition of the Journal of Archaeological Science.

University of Southern Queensland archaeologist Bryce Barker said Monday that he found the rock in June last year but only recently had it dated at New Zealand's University of Waikato radiocarbon laboratory.

He said the rock art was made with charcoal, so radiocarbon dating could be used to determine its age. Most rock art is made with mineral paint, so its age cannot be accurately measured.

"It's the oldest unequivocally dated rock art in Australia " and among the oldest in the world, Barker said.

The oldest known rock art is in Spain, where hand stencils and red disks made by blowing paint on to the wall in El Castillo cave are at least 40,800 years old, according to scientists using a technique known as uranium-thorium dating.

Australian National University archaeologist Sally May, who is not involved with Barker's research, described his find as "incredibly significant."

"I don't think it will surprise anyone that rock art is that old in Australia because we know people have been here a lot longer than that and there's no reason to believe they weren't producing art," she added.

Barker said he found evidence that the cave where he found the rock art had been occupied for 45,000 years

• diamondiiz
    diamondiiz

Carbon dating or any othe dating can't be trusted. Satan wants us to believe humans are older than 6000 years so he blinds the minds of unbelievers. Demons planted it there. Scientists often change their views and can't be trusted.

For most JWs, the only evidence they need is what is found in wts publications.

• designs
    designs

Neanderthals prematurely aged

• sir82
    sir82

Geez, doncha know that you can't count on carbon dating before 4400 BCE? The removal of the water canopy in the great flood changed the way C-14 decomposes. Clearly those pieces of rock art are no more than 6037 years old.

That's also how dinosaur bones got changed into crude oil so quickly.

You apostates don't know nuffin' 'bout true science!

• cedars
    cedars

Interesting evidence! It's a shame the collapse of the water canopy during Noah's flood screwed with all the rate of radioactive carbon decay!!!

(I'm joking of course!!)

Cedars

• Lore
    Lore
    He said the rock art was made with charcoal, so radiocarbon dating could be used to determine its age.

Umm. Newb question here: what if I dug up some charcoal from a tree that burned down 10,000 years ago and drew on the wall with it? Wouldn't it be carbon dated to 10,000 years ago?

• shamus100
    shamus100

It's all satan, baby! ;P

• Kudra
    Kudra

To answer Lore's question you would have to determine what sort of vegetation was growing in that region at the time the charcoal was dated to. Pollen records are a way of doing that. I believe that Kauri and Huon pine are the longest growing trees that are remotely close to that area (maybe some JWN-ers from Austrailia could verify that) and they are ~2000 years old max. btu they grow in more lush areas (NZ and Taz?) and were they even there 28k ago? I don't think so...

What was growning in the NW territory 28k years ago? It was during the buidlup to the last ice age so I'm guessing it was cold desert and scrubbrush woodland growing down there. Trees, if they were around, wouldn't be very long lived. I suspect the age of any tree they used would be smaller than the +/- error in the radiocarbon date.

• ballistic
    ballistic

what if I dug up some charcoal from a tree that burned down 10,000 years ago and drew on the wall with it?

That would be a fossil. We live on the Jurassic coast of England, and the ancient trees are made of rock(petrified).

• Lore
    Lore

You don't need special conditions for the trees to be petrified? I thought that was more rare than inevitable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit