Which philosophy would you personally value the highest and why?

by Qcmbr 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

When it comes a philosophy that can be used as a guide to live for, a guide in what to focus in, I am drawn to the epicurean approach to life. It is often misunderstood and thought to be seeking pleasure in excess. True Epicurean philosophy is nothing like that.

“Epicureanism is a system of philosophy based upon the teachings of Epicurus , founded around 307 BC. Epicurus was an atomic materialist , following in the steps of Democritus . His materialism led him to a general attack on superstition and divine intervention.

Following Aristippus —about whom very little is known—Epicurus believed that pleasure is the greatest good. But the way to attain pleasure was to live modestly and to gain knowledge of the workings of the world and the limits of one's desires. This led one to attain a state of tranquility (ataraxia) and freedom from fear, as well as absence of bodily pain (aponia).

The combination of these two states is supposed to constitute happiness in its highest form. Although Epicureanism is a form of hedonism , insofar as it declares pleasure as the sole intrinsic good, its conception of absence of pain as the greatest pleasure and its advocacy of a simple life make it different from "hedonism" as it is commonly understood.”

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

The philosophy that most appeals to me and I would like to see applied more widely is Aesthetics. The philosophy of beauty.

The application of beauty is the crown of all human endeavour. When a job is done with beauty it transcends its functional form and becomes much more than its simple purpose.

Art does not stumble with words, it defines no boundaries within which it requires understanding and it evokes reactions in all who perceive it but is not encumbered by a functional failure when reactions or perceptions differ wildly.

Every other discipline, every other endeavour, every other achievement of man is immeasurably improved , made more meaningful and melds emotion with perception with experience more perfectly when beauty is its core aim. It is possible to live a life of beauty which will be moral, serene, magnificent, authentic and adaptive or to live a life of ugliness , carelessness, pandering and fear. Beauty has no creed and it is owned by no-one, it requires no group behaviour and lists no moral absolutes. It is thought beyond words, it is the crucible of new ideas and it is the memory of past cultures. It is the one common denominator that links all mankind and all creeds and all beliefs. Beauty and art can continue the dialogue when the words have failed.

With art everyone can wear a crown.

• talesin
    talesin

That's beautiful ,Q!

• Twitch
    Twitch
    Middle way from buddhism in the daily life. Nihilism in deep thoughts.

I like the cut of yer jib, lol

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

"Life's for livin' , yea that's our philosophy" Mungo Jerry.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit