Here is their policy on child abuse from JW-media.org

by not bitter 25 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

Marking for analysis and comment.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Yes, nb, I was thinking of the terrified 7 year old girl confronting her abusive 60 year old Grandfather in a room with another old man as mediator.

a true story

• jojojunfan
    jojojunfan

I have a question. Although I personally believe that the WTBTS is guilty of negligence, how were they legally found guilty? Candice was abused before California made it mandatory for clergy to report abuse to the proper authorities. I believe 1997 was when the mandatory reporting for Clergy came into effect. I am just curious about this. Any ideas? Also, are there any transcripts yet, I would love to read those!

• fokyc
    fokyc

That policy has been on the JW website since 2003; following on from the UK Panorama TV program.

When I pointed it out to our local Elders in 2005 they insisted it was out of date in 2004 and should have been removed from the website.

I wrote to the British branch office and they insisted it was correct and applicable in 2009.

Who can you believe? OR are they all liars?

I believe that policy is purely for the public to see and IS NOT the policy used by Elders when a situation arises.

• not bitter
    not bitter

fokyc - you say its there only for the public to see as if the policy is acceptable to the public. Well I'm a member of the public and I can tell you that what is on that website is dispicable as a set of rules.

I feel physically sick by all this

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Same here NB, that "policy" is not one in any way designed to protect the vulnerable, it is only designed for damage limitation to the WT.

The poor victim is to be confronted by two untrained Elders and the accuser, who along with having raped the child, will now try to get the child branded a liar.

As soon as abuse is hinted at the professional people trained to deal with it should be contacted, not Elders or branch offices of the WT, the responsible and trained people who will care for the victim, and make sure the perpetrator cannot intimidate witnesses or cover his tracks.

The WT "policy" is what will give rise to many valid claims for huge damages, they have not shouldered one of their responsibilities to the victims, ever.

As to arguments about whether it is mandatory or not for the Elders to report abuse, even if only at the "alleged" stage, this is the same pathetic excuse the RC church has used about its abject failure in Eire (Ireland) and no one is accepting that as valid morally, even if in law it were true.

The duty of care you have for the vulnerable is established in law, how can ignoring that not leave you guilty of negligance ?

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I'm calling BULLSHIT!

Written policies be damned, the Society has a giant implied rule trump card that overrides any written regulation.

Plus we all know the elderberries have a set of unwritten guidelines that they are supposed to follow come hell or high water.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Even the first sentence is WRONG! It should read something like:

" When any one of Jehovah’s Witnesses is accused of an act of child abuse, the local congregation elders will immediately contact the police in order to investigate the situation, collect any possible forensic evidence, and make sure the child is safe from any further abuse. "

I'm sure the rest of what they wrote was equally garbage. I couldn't stand to read beyond the first period. Only JWs would entrust a child abuse case to be investigated by untrained magazine salesmen.

• 00DAD
    00DAD

If you are a JW child victim of sexual abuse, first you'll be raped by the pedophile, then you'll be raped (emotionally, spiritually and mentally) by the congregation Elders and the Watchtower and Bible Tract Society of New York, Inc.

Which is worse?

• 00DAD
    00DAD

Here's one woman's response:

The GB of JWs need to Take Responsibility for their Crimes Against Children

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit