I gambled today ... and Won!

by biometrics 12 Replies latest jw experiences

• biometrics
    biometrics

I was rasied a JW, and today was my first official time gambling. I placed a bet on the horses and won $15 dollars.

I also completed an application to get my gun license, and joined a local gun club.

I'm also thinking of joining the local martial arts lessons with my son.

Three things I've always wanted to try, but not allowed as a JW.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Feels good, doesn't it?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not a JW thought only, but watch out that you "won" at gambling. You may think of getting more into it because of your early success.
    View it as entertainment and you will be fine.

Have fun with your gun and enjoy martial arts. Good job on moving on to doing whatever YOU want to do.

• wasblind
    wasblind

That reminds me, when I quit dealin' wit the Witnesses

I felt free to read a Soap Opera digest while waitin' in line

wit out lookin' over my shoulder

• finally awake
    finally awake

Just ROn won $12 on a lottery ticket a couple of weeks ago :)

• Giordano
    Giordano

Be careful Wasblind....your walking on the wild side with that kind of stuff.

Let's see.......I think the first thing I did was buy a pipe. I still remember sitting in my place of business and watching that cloud of smoke drift up to the ceiling......talk about living on the wild side! I gave it up when during a conversation I forgot I had the pipe in my mouth and it fell in my lap dumping the contents out. I almost threw my whiskey on it to put out the fire..............I'll say no more.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Nice to win a few toilet papers gambling. I would keep it down to a reasonable level, however--say gambling within a budget you can afford to lose. Once that budget is used up, no matter how much you win, you are finished. Say, you decide you can lose 100 toilet papers in a given session. That's your budget, and no matter how much you win, once the original $100 is spent, you are finished for that session. Keep the gambling within or below your means.

And yes, that goes for lottery drawings. Suppose you have a weekly budget of 20 toilet papers for lottery. Whether you spend it on one ticket or several, once that money is gone, you are finished with lottery for that week even if you win big. You get to have your fun, and you don't get in too much trouble with excessive gambling. I have seen people stuff those lottery machines buying 4 or 5 tickets, lose on them all, and then put more money in the machines to regain their losses. It never works, and they usually end up broke.

I might add, however, that it is better to gamble than to put the same amount into the church collection plate or contribution box. I have seen witlesses putting wads of $20 bills into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund boxes--older people that were not well off financially at that. And, while they could have won at gambling, there is absolutely no chance of winning anything donating to church.

• NomadSoul
    NomadSoul

What do you think of doing with all that money?

• biometrics
    biometrics

What do you think of doing with all that money?

Buying some whiskey and getting drunk!

But seriously, I could buy 300 flyers and stick them on cars at the next assembly!

• biometrics
    biometrics

Not a JW thought only, but watch out that you "won" at gambling. You may think of getting more into it because of your early success.
    View it as entertainment and you will be fine.

Have fun with your gun and enjoy martial arts. Good job on moving on to doing whatever YOU want to do.

Don't worry I'm pretty grounded in realtiy, and know the odds of winning vs losing. In fact I purposly picked the horse with the best chanse of placing (top 3). I only gambled because I was told not to for 33 years of my life, and thought I'd try it at least once.

In fact every day is a gamble when you're a JW. It's like Russian roulette for your mind. Will Armageddon come tomorrow, have I got enough hours this month ... I looked sideways at sister boobies ...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit