Dear Dad

by Euphemism 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! I wrote this letter to my dad. I'm not going to send it, but wanted to share it with people who I know will understand it.

Dear Dad,

I would wish you Happy Father's Day, if you believed in holidays. You've always tried to love me as best you know how, and I still love you very much. You've allowed your natural feelings to overcome the dictates of your religion enough to host us in your home, just as you performed our wedding with pride and admiration even as you were crushed by my decision to leave the faith.

You gave me two of the greatest assets I have: my love of learning, and my confidence in my own ability to figure out the truth no matter what anyone else is telling me. When those qualities led me away from the beliefs that you hold so dear, as sad as you were, you never disrespected or diminished my judgment. Unlike the elder I talked to, you didn't suggest that I was blinded by a desire to get away from restrictions and have fun; nor did you pull out any of the tired old doctrinal arguments that you knew I already knew. You were fully aware that you had raised a man who was capable of making his own decisions.

You also gave me some of my biggest liabilities. You taught me not to trust my feelings. You taught me that friendships with my peers didn't matter, that I should try to impose my beliefs on others, and that I should never show vulnerability or doubt. You taught me that women were irrational and should be condescended to--although I never accepted that one. And worst of all, you believed that the most important thing in the world was that I not just obey you, but think and believe the way that you did; and so you used physical discipline before I was even old enough to talk, and left me with life-long guilt and fear for even desiring to think wrong thoughts.

When I began to realize how some of your parenting had affected me, and I told you, you apologized. It was the beginning of a new relationship between us, based on mutual respect for the man you had been and the man I was becoming. But it was abruptly cut short when my growth took the one turn that you could not accept.

Even though you believe that I have gone in the path of Satan, you still respect me; and so I still respect you, even though I believe you have devoted your life to a perversion. I hope to learn from your mistakes, imitate your wisdom, and someday share your love with a child who I hope will be as happy as I know you always wanted me to be.

Love,
    Dan

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

That was beautifully written.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Simply beautiful.

• lost1
    lost1

Beautiful words. Lost my dad many years ago and cant imagine what he would of thought of everything happening now.

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi Euphemism, Excellant letter!! Go ahead and send it, or at least save it to give to your Dad when he awakens.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• binadub
    binadub

Hello Dan:

Remember me, in Boise, when you were coming out? I came to your and Epiphany's reception, and then met "Blondie" at your apartment before you moved away.

~Binadub (aka Ros)

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Indeed, Ros, I'm trying to remember if we first met you before the Seattle apostafest; I think you were the first ex we ever met in person! Hope you're doing well?

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

That's a nice letter. My dad passed away over 6 years ago. My dad was an unbeliever but thought we should go to meetings. I don't know how he would have taken my leaving. I don't think he would have been too upset. I would have loved to drink a beer with him.

• binadub
    binadub

That's my memory, too. I'm trying to remember how we came in contact, but you and epiph were not quite out yet.
    Was it through H2O or did you contact xjw.com?

~Binadub (Ros)

• TimeBandit
    TimeBandit

Father's day is a depressing day for me. My dad said I'm no longer his son and threw me away. I think I'm going to take a few shots (Kraken rum). Maybe that'll help.

Chris-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit