I'd hate to be a JW going out in service with all the bad press they're getting right now.

by I quit! 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I hate field circus anyway so I don't go, but anything that makes the "precious" preaching work harder is a-ok in my book.

• Quendi
    Quendi

Don't forget one other important news item that is very big in the American media right now: the Jerry Sandusky trial now going on in Pennsylvania. That also involves an accused pedophile and more than ten victims. The Conti verdict can't hold a candle up to the Sandusky trial. The one happened in Oakland, California. The other at one of this country's best known universities. The former involved people nobody had ever heard of. The latter ended the careers of a university president, athletic director, two administrators, and the winningest football coach in American history. So the media sharks are all circling the Centre County Courthouse in western Pennsylvania reporting on that trial 24/7 whereas the Conti case got only scant attention at best.

The WTS got lucky with the circumstances in the Conti case. Many of us didn't even know a trial was going on in Oakland until the verdict and judgments were announced. While the story eventually did get picked up by major media outlets, the Sandusky trial has grabbed the lion's share of attention about pedophiles. Seeing that the Conti case drew little initial attention in this country, it is no wonder that foreign media have virtually ignored it as well. How many of them are covering the Sandusky trial, for example?

So I doubt that JWs are going to find the Conti case an issue or embarrassment as they go about their canvassing work. Those few householders who do know something probably don't know enough to really engage any Witness in an informative and constructive conversation. If any ask, most Witnesses can feign ignorance of the entire thing and go about their business as usual. I wouldn't be surprised if they won't be instructed to do so by those field service leaders who would even care to discuss it.

Quendi

• jemba
    jemba

Interesting Quendi, I will have to catch up on the details of the Sandusky trial.

Even if householders are aware of the big payout to Candace many would rather keep their disgust to themselves so as not to engage the dub in any conversation that may turn religious, Im sure most just want the dub off the doorstep!....

How many come out guns ablazing about blood transfusions or military service, theyd rather tell the JWs to piss off or just not answer the door. Even 'worldly' people realise there is no use arguing with someone in a cult.

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

The fact that most people will not be aware of any of this bad press demonstrates how piddly the bORG really is. The world does not care about them, nor does the world have any clue as to what their message is.

I remember going out door to door after the dateline show and I don't remember anyone that was home bringing it up.

• sf
    sf

The world does not care about them

And as is apparent, they do not care about the WT children either.

So, NOW what?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit