VOW OF OBEDIENCE AND POVERTY

by Coded Logic 18 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I didn't know the WTBTs had an Order.  Anyone ever heard of the "Order of Full Time Servants" aka "The Order" within the Jehovah's Witnesses?

(Below is a legal document from the WTBTS)

VOW OF OBEDIENCE AND POVERTY to the Order of special Full-Time Servants of Jehovah's Witnesses

As an ordained minister, wholly dedicated to Jehovah God, I hereby express my solemn desire to be recognized as a member of the worldwide Order of special Full-Time servants of Jehovah's Witnesses ("the Order") I Vow as follows:

1.     While a member of the Order, to live the simple, nonmaterialistic life-style that has traditionally existed for members of the Order.

2.     In the spirit of the inspired words of the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 6:8) and the prophetic expression of the Psalmist (Psalm 110:3) to volunteer my services to do whatever is assigned to me in the advancement of Kingdom interests wherever I am assigned by the Order.

3.     To be submissive to the theocratic arrangement for members of the Order (Hebrews 13:17)

4.     To devote my best full-time efforts to my assignment;

5.     To abstain from secular employment without permission from the Order;

6.     To turn over to the local organization of the Order all income received from any work or personal efforts in excess of my necessary living expenses, unless released from this vow by the Order;

7.     To accept such provisions for members of the Order (be they meals, lodging, expense reimbursements, or others) as are made in the country where I serve, regardless of the level of my responsibility or value of my services)

8.     To be content and satisfied with the modest support that I receive from the Order as long as I am privileged to serve in the Order and not to expect any further remuneration should I choose to leave the Order or should the Order determine that I no longer qualify to serve in the Order ( Matthew 6:30-33; 1 Timothy 6:6-8; Hebrews 13:5)

9.     To abide by the principles set out in God's inspired Word, the bible, in publications of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and in policies dispensed by the Order, and to follow the directions of the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses; and

10.     To accept readily any decision made by the Order regarding my membership status.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykpUE2e-L1Q

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

Oh jeez.  Not these two again.

If I'm not mistaken, this was something you used to sign (or similar to it), if you joined the ranks of bethel.  Something probably similar with circuit overseers. 

I remember reading something similar when I was maybe 20 years old (a fair amount ago now but not quite double).

It uses some odd language but then again.....we are talking about Jehovahs Witnesses right?  Mountain out of a molehill here in my opinion.  No special order exists, only the constant diatribe that if you sacrifice enough of your time and life....you are somehow special.  Language notwithstanding...the "order" is Bethel.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2
    Let me add, the religious order of JW's, also most likely includes CO's, and special pioneers given a stipend by the branch and that respond to their direction.  this is not new.
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates
    Wow sounds like vows you would take before joining a Catholic religious order!  
  • millie210
    millie210

Coded logic-, I remember a C.O. way back when I was a kid who told us he had to sell some property so that he could take his vow of poverty not owning any land. That was a long time ago.

And yes it does sound like joining some kind of religious order.

problem addict- what do you mean "those two"? Who are they? 

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower
    I bet this vow has some major repercussions to it that some lawyer can use against the WT in a legal case some day. I would not be surprised if some lawsuit lawyer grabs a hold of it and uses it in a child molestation case some day.
  • wifibandit
    wifibandit

I took these vows.  All special fulltime servants do.

I'm not under them now :-)

• Borges
    Borges
    I took this vow too. It was in the early 90's while I was in the german bethel. It was only for legal purposes to gain the same status as the clergy. Ironic...a vow of poverty to make the society rich.
  • prologos
    prologos

Special Pioneers did not enter the order in the late 50s, but we were on somebodies list, getting free anti-conception help, offers of clergy-discount air travel, but

at that rate of pay,

- $ 1.50 a day,

could not afford even the tips,

never mind the trips. 

• lrkr
    lrkr

There are legal and tax protections for religious orders and their members.  That's why they use this language.  When you are a Bethelite the accounting office prepares your taxes and includes language about the Order.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit