Were Blacks Treated Differently Than Whites In Your Congregation?

by minimus 40 Replies latest jw friends

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

I remember as teenagers (late 70s early 80s) we used to use off color jokes and such. I don't think it was in a spirit of prejudice I had a couple black friends and never thought of them differently. My behavior was just being young and stupid. However I don't remember any adults having anything to say about it and they probably should have. As XBEHERE pointed out we certainly weren't acting any better than those non-double bags

I do remember my mom talking with me when she heard me use the N word and I'm pretty sure that was the last time I ever used it in that context. That was when I was really young and had no clue what it meant. (early mid 70s)

• purplesofa
  • minimus
    minimus

I'm 56 and really didn't see racial tensions in y area, Blondie.

• minimus
    minimus

So far, it seems like we can give kudos to these Witnesses for not being prejudiced (due to color).

• usualusername
    usualusername

I don't think we had any black travelling overseers until the 90s. Once MTS came along more black brothers became CO's though Bethel had a few Bethel elders of colour for years.....

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

douche (sp?) bags....azzwholes. anyway you get the point. I agree it depended on the area but I stand by what I said, any racism shown was no more than anywhere else. The issue is that JWs claim to be passed that. 1 african american GB in 120 yrs... yeah right.

• Lore
    Lore

Not that I've noticed. But I'm white, I understand that exempts me from being able to tell if something is racist.

• exjehovah
    exjehovah

I think JWs have convert racism rather than overt or outright racism.

They gave a perceived idea of racial harmony, which is why in the US congregations, a huge portion of the JW make-up are "minorities", esp black people. This religion focused on recruiting "minorities" especially in the 50's, 60's, and 70's where they were still fighting for basic civil rights and it promised an equalitarian society inside the constructs of their religious organization. However, I till remember being taught that the black race was a cursed race. I still remember being taught very stereotypical things about black people and blaming it on "genetics" and "the bible". I still remember black people not holding many positions of power, but again, you will see a lot of "minorities" that were encouraged by the treatment of equality, but talk to many that have left and you will hear or read something quite different.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Not so much racial discrimination (not many nationalities here) but I experienced financial, gender, class and status prejudice.

The majority of witlesses I’ve ever known have been the most bigoted people I've ever met.

• wasblind
    wasblind

I thought everyone got along pretty well , in the Kh I attended ( 2003 -2008 )

But when you look higher up in the Org. you wonder why it took so long for

them to have a Black Gb member, seems to me they took time in takin' their own medicine

On racial equality

Another thing Blondie touched on , education and Blacks

Growin' up worldy, it had been impressed upon me that education

was the key to better your lot in life. Because it was not always

accessable to us

The Hall I attended was mostly black, lookin back, why would they

deny themselves a hard fought right. Ultimate brainwash it is

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit