9/15/12 Watchtower: JW Conventions have been held for thousands of years! LOL

by yourmomma 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

anyone check out the latest study edition of the watchtower? the last article is all about how "conventions" have been going on for thousands of years. that is a classic. i've never read anything like that before, is that new? they claim that when the Israelites went to Mount Sanai to receive instruction from Jehovah, THAT was a "convention"! LOL here is the link:

http://download.jw.org/files/media_magazines/w_E_20120915.pdf

• wannabefree
    wannabefree

At a Circuit Assembly a few years ago a "Company Man" (CO or DO, I don't remember which) compared Jesus Sermon on the Mount to a District Convention.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh they have been stretching that one for some time. What were the goofy scriptures they use to back their thought on DA's?

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

yourmomma:

I cannot stand when they try to take credit retroactively for things that supposedly occurred many hundreds of years ago! They take an ancient event and try to make it fit into their modern mold. It is hardly a comparison.

• blondie
    blondie

Only shows the WTS teaches its members that they are more Jewish than Christian...no mention of 3 gatherings a year by Christians in the NT, even the Jewish Christians.

• St George of England
    St George of England
    they claim that when the Israelites went to Mount Sanai to receive instruction from Jehovah, THAT was a "convention

I just hope they didn't have to sit out in the sun watching a stupid drama performed in an american accent!

George

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
  • Glander
    Glander

Actually, in this case I think they are correct. They had several circuit assemblies at the Roman Coliseum, which was catered.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    INTERNATIONAL and district conventions have
    been a feature of the modern-day history of Jehovah’s
    Witnesses for as long asmost of us can
    remember. Many of us have attended a number of
    these joyful events, perhaps scores of them over the
    decades.
    2 Thousands of years ago, God’s people also held
    holy conventions.
    We will review some Scriptural
    precedents for modern-day conventions, note similarities
    between ancient and modern features of
    such gatherings, and focus on benefits received
    from attending them.—Ps. 44:1; Rom. 15:4.

I wrote a post about how the Watchtower is trying to restore Ancient Israel. They need to be exposed for the Bronze Age religion that they are.

-Sab

• fade_away
    fade_away

You can twist the Bible to mean what you want it too. Like that joke that says Jesus drove a Honda but didn't like to talk about it cause in John 12:49 Jesus says "For I did not speak of my own accord".....

JWs do something similar to "prove" there were conventions and door to door service thousands of years ago.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit