Quotation marks ...

by compound complex 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

At the risk of sounding like I wear an ink-stained pocket liner full of pens, I have to say I love this kind of information! Anything to do with proper punctuation or grammer is ok with me. Keep it coming.

Thumbs up to compound complex !

(So, does the thumb icon go inside the exclamation point, or outside it?)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    [BTW: in UK, it's the opposite!]
    What does this mean?

He means that, in the UK, punctuation is typically placed outside rather than inside quotes.

All forms of English place certain punctutation according to context:

• He said, "Get out!"
    • Did he say, "Get out"?
  • snowbird
    snowbird
    At the risk of sounding like I wear an ink-stained pocket liner full of pens, I have to say I love this kind of information! Anything to do with proper punctuation or grammer is ok with me. Keep it coming.
    Thumbs up to compound complex!

I concur!

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Thumbs up to compound complex!

"Ditto"!

And thank you.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, everyone!

!! [Spanish?!?!?!?]

The additional information is welcomed!

I'm reading a book published in the UK, and it's somewhat different from those published here in the US insofar as what SBF asked about, i.e., "XXXXXXX",

Gratefully,

CoCo learned editing at the House of God

• compound complex
    compound complex

Peter, the Aussie, is the elusive, Hispanic Andre's brother.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, everyone, for your support as well as for your fine examples!

"Well, here we go again! Another lesson in proper English usage by the so-called grammar Nazi," remarked an innocent bystander.

• Quendi
    Quendi

I've always appreciated your contributions, CoCo. This one is no exception.

Quendi

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Quendi! Check mail!

CC

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

An interesting post as always compound complex

In both the UK and the USA quotation marks are always placed outside punctuation marks.

The strange thing about Americans, among many things, is their habit of replacing ‘s’ with ‘z’ and missing ‘U’ out of words such as ‘colour.’ They also use words like ‘Eatery.’ An uncoated saucepan is referred to as a ‘non, non-stick pan.’ They have, 'combatants, non-combatents and non, non-comabtents .’ Trousers are called ‘pants,’ something we wear under our trousers. A 'lift' is an 'elevator.'

I could go on but I don't want to strain myself, or as Americans say, ‘bust a gut.’

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit