Quotation marks ...

by compound complex 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• compound complex
    compound complex

“The [human] creation itself also will be set free from enslavement to corruption and have the glorious freedom of the children of God. —Romans 8:21. [period within close of quotation marks]

Jehovah is also gathering “the things on the earth,” that is, millions of people earth wide, in order that they can eventually become his earthly children. [comma within close of quotation marks]

[BTW: in UK, it's the opposite!]

Mark a word or phrase after the expression so-called, as in She is the so-called leader of the group (not She is the so-called “leader” of the group). - http://www.wilbers.com/quotes.htm [as noted, the term so-called precludes the need for quotation marks enclosing what marked word or phrase follows]

JUST SAY IT ONCE

Quotation marks can be used to indicate 'alleged' or 'so-called'. There is no need to use these actual words when using quotation marks for this purpose.

Peter's so-called "mates" left him on the path to freeze.
    (In this example, "so-called" and the quotation marks are doing the same job. This is known as tautology.)

Peter's so-called mates left him on the path to freeze.
    Peter's "mates" left him on the path to freeze. - http://www.grammar-

monster.com/lessons/quotation_(speech)_marks_meaning_alleged_so-called.htm

• compound complex
    compound complex

The sheep were noticeably stressed. It must've been a very big "cat".

(In this example, the quotation marks play two roles. They show a quotation of somebody who claimed the culprit was a cat and also allude to the idea of a so-called cat.) [grammar-monster.com]

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Thanks for the lesson grammar nazi.

I must've looked like I needed a good whippin'.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Greetings, dear and gentle DLL:

I am most discreet in my manner of making a point (passive-aggressive).

This is directed at no one in particular, but, as an online editor, I am smacked in the face by these quirky little jots and tittles that jump out at me. They are unrelenting and have threatened me that I should continue crusading onward, my relentless pace unabated ...

I'm wired weird ...

CoCo des Mots

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

[BTW: in UK, it's the opposite!]

What does this mean?

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

Compound Complex saith: (I'm in my KJV mood)

The sheep were noticeably stressed. It must've been a very big "cat".

The only problem here is that you neglected to cite your source. (I kiddith)

But I did have a question: When the quoted word is the last word of the sentence, does the period stay out of the quotes (as in the example above)?

Take Care

• compound complex
    compound complex

SBF:

Commas and periods are outside end of quotation marks.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Bobcat:

In this instance, "cat" is an entity - a unit unto itself - that is remarked upon in a special way by the narrator. It is allegedly a cat, a so-called cat. Perhaps it is a cat in an ironic sense: could it actually have been a human being posing and acting in a manner felinesque? [preposterous, sure, but we must be open to all options]

Therefore, given its out-of-the-ordinary usage in the sentence, the closing period is separated from the unique meaning granted "cat" and put outside the closing quotation mark.

Was it really a "cat"? [another matter for later discussion]

• I Want to Believe
    I Want to Believe

slimboyfat: [BTW: in UK, it's the opposite!]

What does this mean?

It means ignore everything he's telling you if you don't live in the UK.

• mynameislame
    mynameislame

Who is Peter?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit