Australians! Please help!

by Las Malvinas son Argentinas 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

I have an oral presentation tomorrow, and I need to know the correct pronunciation of a few geographical features in your country that I can read on paper, but have never heard in spoken language.

So please, if you will, spell out for me phonetically how you would say the following:

1. Adelaide

2. Melbourne

3. Queensland

4. Brisbane

5. Canberra

6. Perth

Thanks,

Emilie

• Diest
    Diest

Id prefer to hear it in the most difficult to understand australian accent.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Add-Uh-Lade

Mell-Burn

Queenz-Lund

Brizz-Ban

Kan-Ba-Rah

Purhth

Tee hee hee.

I'm just playin'!

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

To clarify:

I don't need to speak it in the local accent, but Brissbayne or Brizbunn does make a huge difference! I speak English with a British accent, so the local pronunciation wont be too much of a stretch for me as it might be otherwise for North Americans.

Emilie

• Fernando
  • transhuman68
    transhuman68

What Snowbird said- you're good to go ! Just make sure to wear the hat too...

• yesidid
    yesidid

As an Ozzie would say them:

Melbourne = Mell-Ben

Queensland = Queenz-Land

Brisbane = Brizz-Ben

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Now that the Americans have had their turn, can an Aussie have a go?

Adelaide - Ad-el-laid

Melbourne - Mel-ben

Queensland - Queens-l'nd

Brisbane - Briz-bin

Canberra - Can-bra

Perth - Perth

Hope this helps

• Glander
    Glander

Not to get off track, but I just read a few days ago that the famous Australian baby abduction over 30 years ago has been proven to have indeed been done by a wild dog called a Dingo. I suppose DNA or something

I believe Meryl Streep made a movie about it. She played the part of the mother who was accused of being behind the baby's disappearance.

OK, back to the Aussie pronounciations,

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

Glander,

it wasn't DNA but several reports of dingo attacks on people since, including 3 deaths of children, which made the coroner decide that Azaria Chamberlain's death was due to the dingo attack. Until now, the death certificate didn't have a reason for her death, but one has now been issued with the dingo attack being the cause for her death.

Her body has never been found. She was 9 weeks old at the time of the dingo attack. She would have been 32 if still alive today.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit