Shunning ... when it's Convenient

by xelder 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• xelder
    xelder

I have a lifelong buddy (G) who is now DF'd ....doing great and happy. He has a nice boat. A while back he gets a call from a very well known elder who, of course, shuns him.

Elder: "Hi G. I know this is a little strange, but I don't know who else to call"

Buddy (G): "Hi elder, how ya been, nice to hear from you"

Elder: "I'm scared for my kids, they went sailing and are stuck 50 miles up the coast, tide coming in and they are stuck, cold, scared to get smashed into rocks. You are the only person I know that could go help them. Please?

Buddy (G): No problem, on my way.

My buddy is that type of guy. Went 50 miles up the coast and towed them back. A week later, those same kids saw him downtown and resumed the shunning. Who is the moral person?

• xelder
    xelder

"How's about you call the coast gaurd, that would probably set you back several thousand"

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

xelder:

Of course, your buddy is the more moral person. No argument there. The JW religion is sick and hypocritical and leads people there into fantasy-type thinking and believing that the laws of cause and effect do not apply to them. It never ceases to amaze me how JWs think somebody who they ignore and want nothing to do with could or should help them!

Somebody less kind than your buddy might have told the nervy "Elder" to go call some of his so-called spiritual friends to help him !!!

• sir82
    sir82

Yeah, but at some point...maybe next week, maybe in 5 years....those kids are going to think back on this incident and ask that same question.

I'll bet you a donut that most or all of those kids are "out of the truth" before too long.

• wasblind
    wasblind

"How's about you call the coast gaurd, that would probably set you back several thousand"

As they say, Money before " Morals "

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Your friend at least got a Thank You card, right? Perhaps even had his expenses covered? No?

• Room 215
    Room 215

What did Lifelong Buddy get DF'd for? Taking swimming lessons at the local YMCA?

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

This seems typical; when witlesses want something and they think they can get a "deal" from you they'll buddy up, then once they've gotten what they want the shunning will resume.

I've experienced this many times; I'm still "in" but get treated by most in the cong. as if I weren't. Whenever one of the supposed "friends" want/need something from my store they suck-up (lots of attention and awkward side hugs) and want a "brotherly deal", since I NEVER give them one they go on about their business and by the next meat-ing won't even look me in the eye. The very few times I've done something nice for a fellow witless I gotten crapped on (raked over the coals) for it, so I learned long ago to never go out of my way for them.

Also maritime laws/rules state that you are only required to assist if you are able to without injuring or harming yourself or your property, in other words you don’t have to help if it means making two problems instead of one AND only if you are already on the water. In your friend’s situation the Coast Guard should have been called, if they were stranded due to a mechanical malfunction then they may not have been charged for the rescue, but if they were in trouble due to stupidity then maybe calling the CG would have been a good lesson.

Stupid people shouldn’t be boaters, if they can’t be safe and responsible they’ve got no business being in a boat and maybe a few hefty bills from the CG would keep these assholes off the water; because lord knows that requiring boater safety classes and cards/licenses isn’t changing anything.

• LostGeneration
    LostGeneration

That is one of the more disgusting experience that I have ever heard.

Your pal is a much better man than I

• Quendi
    Quendi

I agree with LostGeneration. The entire episode makes me sick to my stomach! That's an experience you won't hear at a speical assembly day, circuit assembly or district convention. I also would agree with Disillusioned Lost-Lamb and would have told the Witness that he definitely needed to contact the Coast Guard. I would also have added, "Aren't you supposed to speak to me only if this is a matter of life or death and only if we are blood relatives? Otherwise, I can't assist you in any way. Those are the rules of your religion, aren't they?" Then I would have hung up.

Maybe that wouldn't have been the "Christian" or "humanitarian" thing to do, but deep down inside I think it would have been the right thing. Let these people reap what they sow. Their complete lack of gratitude was shown by shunning your friend on their next encounter and I'm sure this man and his family hushed the entire thing up.

We all know the story about the man who finds a scorpion outside on a cold day and out of pity puts it into his pocket to warm it up and save it from serious injury or death. After sufficient time passes he puts his hand in his pocket to release the animal. But before he can put it on the ground, the scorpion stings him. "Why did you do that?" the man asks in pain and anger. "I saved your life!" In answer the scorpion said, "What did you expect? After all, I'm a scorpion."

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit