Proof of the 75' incident

by iamwhoiam 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There was this circuit assembly talk:

And here are some choice quotes from that talk published in newspapers at the time:

"Some of the questions creating eager anticipation among the delegates are: Can there truly be a world conqueror? How? And what may the mid 1970s bring?" (Red Bluff Daily News, 9/11/1970, p. 5)

"Bible chronology and world events point to the mid-1970s as the possible time when all human preventers of peace on earth will be eliminated" (Tuscaloosa News, 10/17/1970, p. 2; Ruston Daily Leader, 1/22/1971, p. 4).

"All indications are that the conquest of the enemies of peace will take place within this generation. Bible chronology confirms this fact" (L'Avenir, 10/15/1970, p. 25; translated from French).

"All the evidence indicates that all enemies of peace will be vanquished within our generation. This is substantiated by Bible chronology" (The News, 11/12/1970, p. 6; this is obviously the same statement as the preceding quote).

"Men who know the trend of world affairs, and more importantly, the Bible itself, earmark the 70's. . . This is a decade of destiny and as Christian Witnesses of Jehovah, we can conquer the world as Jesus did by our faithfulness to God's Word, the Bible" (Burlington Times-News, 9/29/1970, p. 8B).

"Our lives are involved for then we will be either on the side of the conquerers or among the dead conquered ones. So who will conquer the world in the 1970s? You will if you by faith stick to God's Word and do His will now you will thus be rewarded with eternal peace in a new system of things on earth" (Chillicothe Constitution Times, 11/9/1970, p. 1)

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

hey the world did end I was born

• wallsofjericho
    wallsofjericho

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 *** If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last days' in 1914, Jesus foretold:'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill any career that this system offers.
    so a young person is what age? 10? Assuming that this article was published for the benefit of 10 year old children, that 10 year old would be 53 years old now and possibly even 2 years from retirement. never grow old? never fulfill a career? how can even the most stubborn JW diminish the falseness of that article? You know, that same argument they use for "millions now living will never die"... "well millions of people back then are STILL ALIVE today! If the new system comes soon it won't be wrong at all!" Millions that will never die are dead children from 1969 are now old and soon to be completed their working years and retiring. Fred Franz was such a shit head. Him and his posse of F&DS robots
  • steve2
    steve2

*** Awake! 1969 May 22 p.15 ***

If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things. Why not? Because all the evidence

in fulfillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few years. Of the generation that observed the beginning of the 'last

days' in 1914, Jesus foretold:'This generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.' Therefore, as a young person, you will never fulfill

any career that this system offers

This article could have been written especially for me. I was lucky to have had loving and understanding JW parents - which is not to say they were pushovers - they weren't. But I recall my lovely JW mother sitting down with her favorite son - guess who? and firmly but kindly telling him she could not support me training to become a journalist because not only was it a worldy profession but I would not have time to even work as a journalist because by the time I would have qualified we'd be in the new system. As disappointed as I felt, I actually agreed with her.

Years later I reminded my mother of the time she virtually persuaded me to say goodbye to journalism. I will always remember what she said in response: "If I could go back to that time I'd let you make up your own mind". That's all she said and we never discussed it again. But to me, she said it all: She died an active JW last year, yet her occasional honest comments spoke volumes to her son about spending her whole life waiting for the end which never arrived. While I will emulate both my parents in many of their fantastic qualities, I will never repeat their well-meaning tendencies to place their hope and trust in a man-made religious organization.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Well I don't have any literature anymore, but I do have to say I've heard a lot of stories. Being born that year it came up a lot. They would always end on a good note that if it did end I wouldn't have made it cuz at the time neither parent was a JW A lot of JW's had hidden storage places they put some non parishable food and literature. I know of a few that sold there homes and used the money to live off of They were praised for this, so to say there isn't anything to it is to just put your head in the sand.

Boy I feel old now

• wasblind
    wasblind

The sister that studied wit me is a devout witness to the core

when I asked about '75 , she just said that when the society

realized they made a mistake they changed it, and then she quote

the bright light scripture

She clearly did not deny it

• Steve_C
    Steve_C

To add to the others' eyewitness accounts...

I was a born-in who was 12 years old in 1975. I most definitely remember all of the excitement, anticipation, and false hope during that time.

I also remember that after 1975 came and went, everyone latched onto the idea that Eve was created after Adam, so the creative 'day' continued for a bit, delaying the end of 6,000 years. A publication somewhere mentioned that the length of time between Adam and Eve's creation "logically" would not be more than a few years or even several months, and proceeded to "prove" this with various events like how long it would take to name the animals, blah blah. Does anyone else remember that?

Anyway, after 1975 I was assured many times by elders and others that I would not finish high school in this system (my graduating class just had our 30 year reunion last year). I guess being a born-in really screwed with my mind; after high school I gave up acceptance to an awesome university and ended up getting baptized. Ugh.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I remember that with Adam and Eve and how long from 1975 till the "END" would be how long Adam was on earth before Eve...... Well I'm 37 and wouldn't want to be the only human all my life.

• iamwhoiam
    iamwhoiam

Wow...I'm learning alot more here than I thought I would. If everyone could help keep this thread alive till 75'...ok..bad joke. But just keep it alive, I would love to hear more stories and insights.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Look at it this way....

If the end of the world came in 1975 the way JW's said it would pre-1975, would they NOW have enough proof to say, 'WE TOLD YOU SO!!"? If a JW answers yes to that question, then they are (at the very least) honestly admitting the WTB&TS are false prophets. If they answer no to that question, they are either too stupid to live, or not being honest with themselves and not worth wasting another minute talking to. Gym Bob

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit