The Emphatic Diaglott, still being published by the WTB&TS for the benefit of ... NOT JWs but for Christadelphians, Church of God Holiness and Abrahamic Faith folks.

by illoowy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• illoowy
    illoowy

There are English speaking denominations that actively use the Emphatic Diaglott. The WTB&TS is the only publisher providing new printings of this NT interlinear. The R&F Jehovah's Witness doesn't use the Diaglott (not even the JW version of it "Kingdom Interlinear Translation" that supplanted it). So who do you think is buying the copies of the Emphatic Diaglott today, why is it still being printed? Because the WTB&TS sees the investment as worthwhile, and because the retail price on these is $24, while printing of it costs a mere 80+ cents, not even one $USD.

• sir82
    sir82

Really?

So where can you buy a WT-produced brand new Emphatic Diaglott? In a store, from a website, or what? Do they advertise it anywhere?

I've got an old WT-produced copy from the 1940's I think. I had no idea they were still printing it.

• Gayle
  • CaptainSchmideo
  • Quendi
    Quendi

My copy is in storage and when I regain access I certainly plan to keep it. Benjamin Wilson, a Galena, Illinois newspaper publisher, was the creator of The Emphatic Diaglott in 1864. The WTS obtained the original plates of the work and ownership back in 1902 and has been the sole publisher ever since.

Quendi

• Glander
    Glander

I have an old copy of the WT ED.

• LV101
    LV101

I would love to purchase one of these --- hope someone knows where other than ordering from a local hall.

Thanks for any info.

• therevealer
    therevealer

archive org says this "This translation was used by Jehovah's Witnesses for many years until being superseded by the Kingdom Interlinear Translation of the Greek Scriptures in 1969" Does this not suggest that they don't print the other one?

• Quendi
    Quendi

@ therevealer: The WTS proudly offered both the Emphatic Diaglott and the Kingdom Interlinear to publishers for many years. I know I was encouraged to get both when I was a Witness because they were said to be excellent aids for the serious Bible student. The problem now is that the WTS has moved away from looking at the Scriptures to putting forward their own philosophy and thinking. So Witnesses aren't encouraged to own either work. For that matter, they are strongly discouraged from owning or reading any other Bible except the New World Translation.

Quendi

• St George of England
    St George of England
    I would love to purchase one of these --- hope someone knows where other than ordering from a local hall.

There are usually several for sale on Ebay at very reasonable prices, especially the paperback edition. The 1942 hardback version usually goes for about £20-£30.

There is a very expensive de luxe leather bound version called the 'memorial edition' which fetches quite big money.

George

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rare-Memorial-Edition-Diaglott-Watchtower-Jehovah-NICE-/390427451922?pt=Antiquarian_Collectible&hash=item5ae74a2212

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit