How many JWs will leave the organization after viewing the Sparlock video? Estimate

by Iamallcool 39 Replies latest jw friends

• lost1
    lost1

Think may make the odd one think for a minute or two. But even if gets one out its worth it.

L1

• Old Goat
    Old Goat

My children, all of whom are still Witnesses and two of whom are Pioneers, grew up reading the Oz books, The King of Elfland's Daughter and similar books. I'm certain those books did not damange their respect for the Bible, their inclination to believe what the Watchtower said, and even more certain that they weren't lead into spiritism and magic by fantasy fiction.

The video is stupid. It's not the first Watchtower product that fails. (If I still had young children in my house, I would not encourage them to view it.) It won't be the last. But I doubt anyone will leave over it. It takes something really personal to move people to leave. I'm not even anxious for anyone to leave. As long as they find a comfort-giving home among Witnesses, let them stay. I say that with my youngest child in mind. I think the Witness organization suits her. My oldest who is in her 40s has a sharp mind and sees what my youngest does not. She may eventually leave. Those like her cannot read what the Watch Tower prints and not have questions about the rationality and research presented.

Some are reluctant to part with cherished associations and beliefs. I became a Witness in the late 1940s when it was a far different religion than it is today. I was a Company Servant, a Congregation Servant, Elder, and spoke at District Conventions and lived in some of the most depressed, backwater places on earth for the sake of "the truth." It took decades of changes, personal abuse, up-close and personal contact with Watchtower personalities for me to finally say that much of what was done and some key teachings were wrong. Still, I have no problem seeing many Witnesses as true Christians, even if misguided in some respects.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think it will hardly make a ripple, most JW's won't bother to see it, those that view it once will probably say "What wise counsel !" and then fling the DVD in a corner and forget it.

Just the odd one out of 7 million may be helped to see what the WT really is in one regard, i.e an out of touch religion run by morons, but it will be very very few, probably only those who were reaching a critical explosion due to Cognitive Dissonance already.

The whole thing is so bad for them, you wonder if there are not in fact some closet apostates on the staff who produce this sort of crap.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

Looking for smoking guns that will run the 'dubs out in droves will never happen again. That happened in the 20's and it's far enough back for just about every dub alive today, to be oblivious to that fact.

If dubs can swallow an article thats critical of other religions that make u choose between beliefs and family, then they will swallow anything

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Music, toys, movies, tv shows, clothes, hairstyles, beards, . . . . oh, it's all about Sparlock.

I remember talking with my ubber-dubber sibling about a song that was popular. Oh sibling laughed. In her day, she admits, so many of the bands (late 1960s) were off limits to JWs. She commented that things change and now the "oldies" were sometimes played at JW picnics.

So, goes Sparlock. Betwitched. I Dream of Jeanie, Star Wars, Rolling Stones . . . . My Little Pony, Smurfs, and now Sparlock.

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

I don't know how many will leave per say, but I wonder how many kids will stop believing (eventually leave) because their parents watched the DVD and then forced them to throw out a bunch of prized/cherished possessions?

We make fun of the video but at least Caleb's mom was somewhat nice about it, all the born-ins know that is not reality. Most devout parents will guilt, browbeat, yell, lecture, scream, discipline and/or physically beat their children for doing what Caleb did, and if the child doesn't respond they'll take matters in their own hands and just toss the kid's stuff out without permission.

This video is going to do a fine job of turning children away from the borganization; what a fine witness it is.

• wallsofjericho
  • finally awake
    finally awake

Not nearly enough.

• NewYork44M
  • apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

My guess is none. I agree with the percentages of breakfast for champions. Not sure if it is intentional, or they have a lot of closet apostates as phizzy says, but it looks like lately they are really pushing it. Some children wont be impressed with the video once their parents start asking them to throw all their magic toys.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit