JW Longo Story on ABC TV July 11th "Final Witness"

by AndersonsInfo 70 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

I think he probably was a believer. But the doctrine of JWs is not such that he could bring himself out of sin and feel truly wshed and clean. Je probably felt dirty. Maybe he figured he waso dirty he could bever truly be forgiven. he would never again feel the superior feeling of being a Ministerial Srvant, in the one and only true religion. I would say he didn't have grace unfortunately. He didn't believe Jesus Christ would relly look at his sins as white when they should be scarlet. When you are tumblig down a staircase, you might figure you've fallen so hard and far that you might as well hurl yourself on down the remaining steps I guess.

I think his propensity for evil was exacerbated by being in a religion that kept him enslaved and didn't have the saving grace of Jesus Christ.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Quote:
    On December 19, 2001, a young boy's body floated up in Lint Slough, not far from the coastal town of Newport, Oregon. He seemed to be about 4 years old and wore only his underwear. Three days later, divers found the body of a slightly younger little girl, still in 9 feet of murky water, under the Lint Slough Bridge, still tethered to the bottom by a pillowcase full of rocks tied around her ankle. Divers found a similar weighted pillowcase, which had apparently been tied around the boy's ankle. Also in those waters was a sleeping bag full of rocks. Authorities never released a cause of death for the two children, but said they had not died from trauma. Speculation has it that the two children were weighted down by their own cartoon pillowcases full of rocks, both shoved into the sleeping bag and thrown off the bridge into the sloughwhile still alive.

It's hard to say when Christian Longo learned the art of standing politely, passively, while smooth-talking his way out of trouble. This calmness served him well from the time his financial troubles began by stealing a roll of quarters from his father's dresser in ninth grade to the day 20 Mexican police and FBI agents crashed into his Caribbean hideaway and arrested him for the murder of his wife and three children. Had he been the aggressive sortresisting arrest, showing his temper when faced with the evidence of his crimesthings might have turned out much differently for Christian and his family. As it was, he passively submitted to handcuffs as his horrified German girlfriend looked on. He was not who he'd said he was the New York Times journalist Michael Finkel. Instead, she was informed, he was Christian Longo, one of the FBI's Ten Most Wanted, and he was headed for death row.

Longo's crimes began as a simple, perhaps even logical way out of his financial woes and escalated into one of the most heinous stories to capture the country's imagination. Longo's crimes, pursuit, capture and trial made headlines coast to coast, were highlighted on "America's Most Wanted" and are now the subject of Michael Finkel's book, True Story: Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa .

Book cover: True Story:Murder, Memoir, Mea Culpa.

Born in Burlington, Iowa, Christian and his younger brother moved several times around the Midwest with their mother and father, following employment opportunities. Eventually, that marriage crumbled, and Joy, the mother, remarried and settled in Ann Arbor, Michigan, when the boys were still small. The entire family embraced the Jehovah's Witness religion of Joe Longo, the boys' stepfather. The small Jehovah's Witness community in Ypsilanti seemed an oasis for the Longosit provided a code of ethics, a community in which to socialize and marrya manner of behavior that was a refreshing dose of sanity to the reconstituted family with a harsh past. It was within this insular religious community that Christian, at 17, met MaryJane Baker, seven years his senior. Deemed by his parents still too young to date girls at age eighteen, Christian got a job at a local camera store and moved out of the house to pursue the beautiful MaryJane.

MaryJane Baker, a sweet, unassuming young woman, had a sheltered, religious upbringing, living with her parents until her wedding day. She had only one future in her mind: wife and mother. She wanted to marry a religious man who would take good care of her and her children, and in return, she would make a comfortable home and a good life for him. She wanted the ideal Christian life. When she met Chris, MaryJane worked as a secretary. According to Finkel, she spent every Wednesday proselytizing door to door for the Witnesses, and Chris, smitten, joined in, just to be near her. Apparently, Christian's smooth talk, handsome face and charismatic nature assured her that their dreams melded perfectly. ?

MaryJane Longo MaryJane Longo

Perhaps she should have paid closer attention. As they were seeing each other, Chris was caught stealing from his employer, which did not sit well with the church elders. They refused to let Chris and MaryJane marry in the church. He approached her father, smooth-talked him into giving them his blessings, and on March 13, 1993, in Huron High School auditorium, a minister married Christian Longo and MaryJane Baker.

Zachery Michael Longo Zachery Michael Longo

In 1996, they joyously proclaimed that they were to have their first child. Zachery Michael Longo was born in February 1997, followed by Sadie Ann, 14 months later. MaryJane quit her job to be the full time mother she had always wanted to be. Eighteen months later, in October 1999, little Madison Jeanne joined the family. MaryJane focused entirely on the children, keeping them tidy and dressing them well.

(You can read more here:)

http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/notorious_murders/family/christian_longo/index.html

One of the stories I read said that he was caught stealing before they even got married and the Jehovah Witness church refused to marry them in the (Kingdom Hall) church. Can't find that info and it wasn't that way in the movie..it showed him sitting with his wife and kids in the KH and talking with others at first.

Later I read he could feel no remorse and thought himself a monster for not having any feeling about what her had done to his family. He wanted to donate his organs to try and make some kind of amends..I also saw a headline about him not being allowed to mary in jail?..I'll have to read about that..

Snoozy..who watched it this morning.

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Found the article about him applyiing for a wedding in the jail..

http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2011/08/christian_longo_marriage_request_was_a_stunt_portland_woman_says.html

The guy is nuts and yet he will have decades of appeals it says..so he won't be put to death any time soon I am presuming?

Snoozy

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

So there were warning signs early on that this man had issues. I would really like some input from someone who knew them personally.

I bet there were some people who saw through his b.s. One can usually tell when someone is full of it. But,some Witness women especially,want to get married so bad,they ignore the warning signs.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Well I didn't know him personally, but my son met him during a cruise - I believe it was to Jamaica. I asked my son what he thought of him, and he said he was "arrogant."

• EmptyInside
    EmptyInside

Some people are chronic liars and self-centered. But,they can deal and not kill anyone,let alone their family. This man has some serious psychological issues. It was more than wanting to be rich. If that was his main motivation for killing his family,he would have taken out an insurance policy on them.

Thanks Bonnie_Clyde, I'm sure many picked up on his arrogance. I find when I didn't like someone in the congregaion or circuit,I usuall found out later,I wasn't the only one who held a poor opinion of the person.

• Cacky
    Cacky

I missed this one. I can't get Freeminds to work properly on my computer, so I'm on Tim's now. I wonder if this will be shown on youtube or hulu, Netflix or something. I don't recall this story before. Haven't had time to read other posts yet, so don't know if it had been well advertised before this show.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

Do you think Longo thought the authorities would never find the bodies since he weighted them down? If the boy's body hadn't floated to the top, they might never have found the rest of the family?

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

You can watch the episode online for free here:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/379447

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Bonnie_Clyde, you are probably right!

Snoozy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit