What biblical support is there for the belief that a creative day is 7000 years long?

by JWB 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The precise formulation that the Society gives draws on 19th-century biblical interpretation (see below), but it ultimately is rooted in a stream of exegesis that goes ultimately back to the first century AD. But it should be recognized that these concepts are exegetical; they aren't contained in the Bible itself, and the relevant source texts (such as the Eden narrative in Genesis) presume altogether different underlying concepts. The notion that a creative day = 7,000 years draws on several converging exegetical traditions. I will lay some of them out below.

As is generally recognized in biblical scholarship, the first chapters of Genesis combine two originally independent creation narratives: the older account of J (primarily ch. 2-3) and the priestly account of P (primarily ch. 1). There are contradictions and differences between these accounts and Jewish midrash sought to develop harmonizations between them. The Lilith legend, for instance, arose in order to explain why man and woman were created together on the sixth day (ch. 1) but then Eve was created sometime later (ch. 2). The early interpretations of ch. 1 took the days to be literal days and that is doubtless what P originally intended (so the days contain alternating periods of light and darkness corresponding to morning and evening, cf. Exodus 20:8-11). So the Essene calendar, for instance, started the year (I/1) on a Wednesday because that was the day when the sun was created (cf. Jubilees 2:13).

The first exegetical move that contributed to the Watchtower concept was one that concerned not the creative days of ch. 1 but the "day" referred to in Genesis 2:17. The exegetical problem is that God seemingly warned that Adam would die the very "day" he ate from the fruit (2:17), but in fact 5:5 states that Adam lived to the ripe old age of 930. In fact, there really isn't a contradiction here. There is a subtlety in the grammar in 2:17 in which the phrase b-ywm + infinitive construct could either be taken literally to mean "in [the] day" or simply as a temporal expression meaning "when" or "once". That the latter is what the author probably intended can be seen in a second instance of this expression in 2:4. There is a close parallel in 1 Kings 2:37, concerning a Benjaminite named Shimei: "It shall be that once you leave (b-ywm ts'tk, lit. "in [the] day that you leave") and pass over the river Kidron, you shall certainly know that you shall certainly die". This latter text is quite interesting because it is strikingly similar to Genesis 2:17 in its phrasing (i.e. b-ywm + infinitive construct with solemn intensified "you shall certainly die" as a consequent). In this story of Shimei, he did not realize that he was going to die on that day he crossed the Kidron, or at the same time he crossed it, but sometime later, after he had returned from his trip (v. 40-46). That he even returned shows that he did not expect to die. Yet his death was inevitable once he crossed the Kidron. It is pretty much the same thing in Genesis 2-3. "Once you eat it you shall (thenceforth) truly die" is one way of understanding the prohibition. By banishing the man and woman from Eden and limiting access to the tree of life, death was thenceforth inevitable. It doesn't mean that the death would actually occur that same day.

However the rabbis took the expression literally, and wanted to find a day of harmonizing 2:17 with 5:5. And so they found the exegetical key in Psalm 90:4: "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night". This text is metaphorical but the interpreters took it literally: when God warned that Adam would die that DAY, God meant he would die within a period of 1,000 years. And indeed Adam died at the age of 930, which fits snugly within a single 1,000-year "day". This interpretation has been around at least since the second century BC, and finds expression in such tests as Jubilees 4:30, Justin Martyr, Dialogue 81, Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses 5.23.2, Midrash Psalms 25:8, Genesis Rabba 19:8, 22:1, Numbers Rabba 5:4, and Pirqe R. Eleazar 18. So that was the first exegetical move that contributed to the notion that the Watchtower Society later developed.

The second idea, which has an entirely independent origin, is that the "day" or "days" of the Messiah or God's eschatological agent would equal a thousand or several thousands of years. This concept is otherwise known as millennialism or chiliasm, may ultimately have an origin in Zoroastrianism which parallels many other Jewish apocalyptic ideas (such as Judgment Day, an eschatological Savior figure, the resurrection, and eternal punishment by fire). The earliest exemplar of this notion may well be found in the largely parallel Animal Apocalypse and the Apocalypse of Weeks (both dating to the early second century BC), the latter dividing human history into a series of ten great weeks (each likely consisting of ten jubilees, or 490 years). The present time (the end of the seventh week) is to be followed by an eighth week of righteousness in which the chosen people with a sword fight against wickedness and exterminate evil from the land. At the conclusion of the eighth week, peace and righteousness is secured and a new Temple is built in the land. Then in the ninth week this righteousness is spread throughout the entire world and continues through the tenth week (1 Enoch 91:11-14). At the end of the tenth week, the wicked angels are judged and punished and the heavens and earth pass away and a new heaven and earth appear, with endless weeks of peace to last for all eternity (91:15-17). The era of peace extending from the messianic conquering of evil until the final judgment of the angels thus lasts two great weeks, or almost 1,000 years. This idea was then adopted by the author of Revelation, who construed a millennium intervening between the defeat of evil on earth and the final judgment and punishment of Satan and his angels (20:1-15). The author of 2 Peter appears to have drawn on a scenario very similar to that found in the Apocalypse of Weeks and Revelation. The author is concerned with the apparent "delay" in the arrival of the "Day of the Lord", and he cites Psalm 90:4 in order to argue that " The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" (3:8-9). Then the destruction of the heavens and earth would follow, and the creation of a new heaven and earth (3:7, 10-13). The implicit scenario seems to be the same as that of the Apocalypse of Weeks and Revelation: there would be a thousand years for the proclamation of the gospel, with the conversion of the whole world into righteousness (= the ninth and tenth weeks), to be followed by final judgment and the institution of a new heavens and earth. The exegetical basis for this notion of a millennium was also found in Psalm 90:15, wherein the psalmist wishes for God to make his people glad "for as many days as you have afflicted us," and since v. 4 mentions a thousand years, the interpreters concluded that there would be a thousand years or many thousand years of peace to follow. The idea of the "day" or days of the Messiah lasting a thousand or thousands of years was later expressed by Justin Martyr, Dialogue 81, b. Sanhedrin 99a, Midrash Psalms 90:17, and Pesiqta Rabbati 1:7. Justin Martyr (middle of the second century AD) connected these two concepts together:

"For as Adam was told that in the day he ate of the tree he would die, we know that he did not complete a thousand years. We have perceived, moreover, that the expression, 'The day of the Lord is as a thousand years,' is connected with this subject. And further, there was a certain man with us, whose name was John, one of the apostles of Christ, who prophesied, by a revelation that was made to him, that those who believed in our Christ would dwell a thousand years in Jerusalem; and that thereafter the general, and, in short, the eternal resurrection and judgment of all men would likewise take place" (Dialogue 81).

The linkage between the messianic millennium and the 1,000-year "day" during which Adam lived precipitated the idea that Adam's "day" was the first in a series of "days" that recapitulate the seven days of creation, with each of the original normal days of divine creation (consisting of mornings and evenings) corresponding to 1,000 years of human history (drawing on Psalm 90:4). This analogy would mean that human history would last for 6,000 years and would be followed by a millennium sabbath rest, which corresponds to the millennium of the Messiah. This idea is expressed, for instance, in Pirqe R. Eleazar, 18: "God has created seven ages .... There are six for the coming and going of men but the seventh is completely sabbath and rest in everlasting life". An older but related concept is that human history between the creation of the world and Judgment Day would last 5,000 years; this is implied in the Assumption of Moses (early first century AD), a book alluded to in Jude 9, which dates Moses' death to the midpoint in the history of the world: 2,500 years after Creation (there is also no notion of a millennium in the Assumption of Moses). The even older Apocalyse of Weeks, which as argued above possibly did have a period akin to the Christian notion of the messianic millennium, construes a total of eight weeks of human history spanning between creation and the millennium that follows, i.e. a little less than 4,000 years. So apocalyptic speculation extended what was first thought to be a duration of 4,000 years into 5,000 years, and finally — on analogy of the days of creation — into 6,000 years. The earliest explicit formulation of this can be found in Barnabas (early second century AD), which explicitly quotes from the Apocalypse of Weeks (Barnabas 16:6, freely quoting 1 Enoch 93:12-13) and the Animal Apocalypse (Barnabas 16:5, freely quoting 1 Enoch 89:56-66) as inspired scripture. In discussing the true meaning of the sabbath, the author cites Psalm 90:4 in order to argue that a millennium sabbath rest would follow six thousand years of human existence:

"He speaks of the Sabbath at the beginning of creation: 'And God made the works of his hands in six days, and finished on the seventh day, and rested on it, and sanctified it' [cf. Genesis 2:2-3]. Observe, children, what 'he finished in six days' means. It means this: That in six thousand years the Lord will bring everything to an end, for with him a day signifies a thousand years. And he himself bears me witness when he says, 'Behold, a day of the Lord will be as a thousand years'. Therefore, children, in six days -- that is, in six thousand years -- everything will be brought to an end. 'And he rested on the seventh day.' This means: When his Son comes, he will destroy the time of the lawless one and will judge the ungodly... On the Sabbath, after I have set everything at rest, I will create the beginning of an eighth day, which is the beginning of another world. This is why we spend the eighth day [i.e. Sunday] in celebration, the day on which Jesus both arose from the head, and then ascended to heaven after appearing again" (Barnabas 15:3-9).

Similar ideas are found in Irenaeus, Adversus Haereses 5.28.3 and in the Talmud (b. Sanhedrin 97a). What is interesting about Barnabas is that he also allegorically links the "week" of human existence to the Passion Week (other church fathers, such as Theophilus of Antioch, also mentioned that Jesus was crucified on a Friday which corresponds to the "sixth", or final, 1,000-year day before the millennium). The creative-day interpretation of the span of human history continued throughout the Middle Ages, and contributed to Adventist thought where it formed the basis of Nelson Barbour's and Charles Russell's belief that 1874 marked the end of 6,000 years of human history and the dawning of the sabbatical millennium (1874 remained an important date for the Watchtower Society at least into the early 1930s).

———————————————————

What was not yet conceived was the idea that the creative days themselves were durations lasting thousands of years, and this was the last stage in this development of ideas that led to the Society's teaching. In all ancient sources I can think of, the days of creation were taken to be literal days (with some caveats, such as Basil of Caesarea who took the days to be 24 hours in length but claimed the first included within it the eternity that preceded it). It is a modern concern to interpret the days as lengthy periods or epochs in order to harmonize the Bible's account of creation with contemporary geological science (concordism); this was first suggested at the end of the 18th century and in the early 19th century. The notion that each creative day lasted 7,000 years depended on a new understanding of the seventh day: it was an age as well, corresponding to human history from the creation of Adam onward. Geologist Hugh Miller wrote about this idea in 1847: "I know not where we shall find grounds for the belief that that Sabbath, during which God rested, was commensurate in its duration with one of the sabbaths of short-lived man .... God's sabbath of rest may still exist; the work of the Redemption may be the work of His Sabbath day" (Footprints of the Creator, 1847, p. 307). So the six 1,000-year "days" + the millennium would constitute the seventh "creative day", and that meant that each of the other six creative days were 7,000 years as well. This idea had appeared in the middle of the 19th century and I believe that it was developed primarily by Rev. Bourchier Wrey Savile, who appears to have been the first to have published (at least extensively) on it. In 1866, he wrote:

"According to opinions very general amongst the ancient heathen, as well as amongst both Jews and Christians, the length of this age is supposed to endure 6000 years, with an additional thousand represented by the millennial period. Assuming such to be the doctrine of Scripture, we have fair grounds for concluding that God's resting time means a period of 7000 years; and if that be the limit of one of the seven days of the Mosaic cosmogony, all the others are probably the same duration" ("On the Credibility of the Pentateuch," The Christian Observer, No. 319, July 1864, pp. 528-529).

Then in 1877 he provided a more detailed explication, after quoting Miller:

"Have we, then, any intimation afforded in Scripture of the duration of God's day of rest? I think we have. The best chronologists amongst Jews and Gentiles, who take their stand upon the infallible Word of God, are agreed in this, that the age of man on earth, since the time of Adam, is limitd to a period, speaking in round numbers, of six thousand years. But, iasmuch as Scripture speaks also of a future millennial period of blessedness, lasting for one thousand years, which is termed in Hebrews (iv. 9) 'a rest or keeping of a sabbath by God's people,' we find that Christ's kingly rule over His 'possessions in the uttermost parts of the earth' (Psalm ii.8) is then said to end....Therefore we are warranted in assuming that God will resume His creative power at the termination of the period known as the millennium [when according to Revelation there will be a creation of new heavens and a new earth], when His rest-day will of necessity come to end, which would appear on Biblical authority to have extended through seven thousand years; and if this be a correct estimate respecting the duration of one Y OM or day, on the principle of analogy we may understand the remaining six Y OM s to be of the same duration....Supposing, then, seven thousand years to be the duration of each of these Y OM s, including that wherein God is now said to be resting, this would give, after deducing two of these Y OM s, or 14,000 years before the earth appeared in its present condition, from the forty-nine thousand years, the sum total of the whole, a period of thirty-five thousand years as the duration of the period [in which life appeared], reckoning from the third Y OM until the present time" (Rev. Bourchier Wrey Savile, "Heathen Cosmogonies Compared with the Hebrew," Journal of the Transactions of the Victoria Institute, Vol. 10, pp. 295-297)

The idea was thus widely circulated by the time Charles Russell began his religious activities, and he adopted the idea and it persisted among the Jehovah's Witnesses for most of the twentieth century until it was quietly dropped after the failure of the 1975 prophecy.

• JWB
    JWB

Ucantnome, I understand the reasoning of counting from 4026 BCE and having to include the 1,000 year reign, but this still does not address the question of Biblical support for a seven thousand year 'creative day'. Why not have a ten thousand year 'creative day' counting from 4026 BCE? Or even a twelve thousand year one? My interest here is whether belief in a 7000 year 'creative day' is specifically supported by the Bible. What I have found so far is that it is not. Accepting a starting point of 4026 BCE and including a thousand year reign into the calculation does not of itself tell us how long the period from 4026 BCE to the end of the 1000 year reign is. BTW, please don't think I'm taking issue with you personally as I appreciate your input. Maybe I'm not making myself clear enough?

• JWB
    JWB

Leolaia, thanks for your lengthy post. I will need to read it of course before commenting.

• blondie
    blondie

Using the bible and their "research" of the chronology, the WTS determined that counting from Eve's creation forward, that would bring you to 1975 assuming that Adam was created in the same year (see Aid to Bible Understanding). But the 1,000 reign had to occur in the 7th creative day, 6,000 plus 1,000 = 7,000. The WTS says that each day would have to be the same length, 7,000 years.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/beliefs/6087/1/NEED-HELP-7000-yrs

• JWB
    JWB

Leolaia, thank you so much for taking the time to write and post your information here, I really enjoyed reading it as you show the progression of ideas that led up to the seven thousand year creative day doctrine. Here are some of my thoughts on the information you provided:

The third paragraph provides valuable information concerning what the original writer would have meant by 'in that day', with a helpful comparative reference to 1 Kings 2:37.

Interestingly, The Jewish Bible (Tanakh The Holy Scriptures) translates Genesis 2:17 into English as follows.

"but as for the tree of knowledge of good and bad, you must not eat of it; for AS SOON AS you eat of it; you shall die."

Also helpful was the information relating to Justin Martyr's idea about some kind of week of 1000 year 'days'. This appears to me to be the root of such speculative thinking on the length of supposed creative days, something that quite evidently is not to be found within the Bible itself. So here we see an emergence maybe of a kind of dispensationalism and reliance on extra-biblical writings to form doctrine on this subject?

The author of Barnabas gives his own speculation on what constitutes the length of a creative 'day', although I cannot see how he arrives at such a reasoning, since by his own words he shows he understands a 'day' to be a thousand years, so a creative day must amount to a thousand years in duration. To me there appears to be an assumption that the six days of creation is a model for a kind of 'greater fulfillment' realised within the seventh day itself.

So, the WTS has basically derived its creative day doctrine from "Christendom", leading all the way back to some of the so-called Church Fathers.

Thanks again.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

It does not make any sense to put a time period on a creative day, since there apparently was no day or night until the fourth day, and hence no way to track the actual time by an earthly calendar for each of the first creative days.

Gen 1:14 And God went on to say: “Let luminaries come to be in the expanse of the heavens to make a division between the day and the night; and they must serve as signs and for seasons and for days and years. 15 And they must serve as luminaries in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth.” And it came to be so. 16 And God proceeded to make the two great luminaries, the greater luminary for dominating the day and the lesser luminary for dominating the night, and also the stars. 17 Thus God put them in the expanse of the heavens to shine upon the earth, 18 and to dominate by day and by night and to make a division between the light and the darkness. Then God saw that [it was] good. 19 And there came to be evening and there came to be morning, a fourth day.

On another note, I cannot make sense out of saying a day with Jehovah is 1000 years, yet a creative day is 7000 years, not 1000 years - apart from the obvious fact that it is more than 1000 years since Adam, and God seems to still be resting.

• Farkel
    Farkel

leoleia, old friend,

May I summarize your awesome reserach?

There was a lot of bullshit for many years about just plain bullsit.

Russell bought into that bullshit and published his own bullshit using that bullshit as his source.

Russell wrote bullshit books using that bullshit infomation and got people to believe and then sell that bullshit to others using Russell's bullshit books.

Russell claimed that "God" gave him that bullshit. Then he died.

Farkel

• OldGenerationDude
    OldGenerationDude

And, if you want to be a little more technical in arguing against the Watchtower view you may want to point out that:

• The creative time periods aren’t “days” at all.

If they are literal days or meant to symbolize years, then everyone needs to cut their calculations in half. Only half a Hebrew day is mentioned in the first six days, each beginning with “evening” but instead of ending with the next night they stop halfway at “morning.” Technically speaking that is only 12 hours, half a day.

• A unique poetry-like pattern is introduced into Hebrew prose to describe each day not found elsewhere in Scripture.

The listing of what appeared on each day appears to be three sets of doublets, and neither a historical reference or a reflection to the commonly perceived order of creation among the ancients. If you notice, the writers of the P account seem to weave a pattern, with the days 1, 2, 3 matching with 4, 5, 6. Note the pattern of what is being discussed:

Days 1-3: The Three Days of Separation

DAY 1-God creates heavens and separates light from day

DAY 2-God separates water above (rain) from water below (seas)

DAY 3-God separates land from seas (vegetation grows on land)

Days 4-6: The Three Days of Integration

DAY 4- Sun, moon, and stars integrated into heavens or sky

DAY 5-Birds integrated into sky; fish integrated into seas

DAY 6- Animals and man integrated into earth paradigm

Now note the doublets:

God brings light to the heavens

DAY 1-God creates heavens and separates light from day

DAY 4- Sun, moon, and stars integrated into heavens or sky

God brings life to the skies and the seas

DAY 2-God separates water above (rain) from water below (seas)

DAY 5-Birds integrated into sky; fish integrated into seas

God brings life to the earth

DAY 3-God separates land from seas (vegetation grows on land)

DAY 6- Animals and man integrated into earth paradigm

Also note that each day has a structure to it:

Each “day” opens with “And God said,” followed by God’s command “Let there be…”

which is then fulfilled with “and it came to be that….”

Each “day” also gets a judgment (“And God saw that it was good”)

and a time limit of half a day (“And evening came, and there was morning, the ___ day”).

The seventh day, the Sabbath, acts like an epilogue, with God “resting.” From what is God “resting”? From putting the universe “in order” or in the pattern that the ancients could observe.

While it is clear that the writers and editors of Genesis 1-11 adapted and reshaped the mythologies of their Near Eastern neighbors, it appears that the Hebrews were doing so by subtly attacking heathen beliefs, namely that creation was a struggle between the gods resulting in chaos (from which humanity sprang, according to the Goyim). Instead of reading or interpreting a literal time period into the account like the Witnesses and Adventists do, perhaps it is the fact that an “order” to things is introduced at the expense of the usual “chaos” found in Canaanite and Babylonian myths that is more important. The writer(s) obviously go to a great extend to set their account in a very repetitive structure (lacking in the following creation account in chapter 2) and therefore must have a purpose. It is more likely that the writer(s) wanted readers to find a meaning in this instead of a “hidden code” wherein days stand for years through some ambiguous formulae which is not provided.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

LOL, a very good summary Farkel. I might also add that the irony about Rev. Savile is that he was an outspoken critic of the kind of pyramidology espoused by Russell and others, calling it "rubbish".

JWB....I would first say that 1 Enoch wasn't extracanonical for the author of Barnabas (the Christian OT canon was not yet fixed); one could easily say that the NT depends on this "extracanonical book" just as much (particularly the letter of Jude and Revelation, which are steeped in it). The books of the Bible were not divorced from their literary context but developed ideas already circulating in contemporary thought. So for instance, the idea in Revelation that a millennium would intervene between (1) the execution of the wicked opposers of Christ and (2) the judgment of imprisoned Satan and the creation of a new heavens and earth develops what was already stated over two centuries earlier in the Apocalypse of Weeks (with parallels to the Animal Apocalypse):

1 Enoch 90:19-29 (Animal Apocalypse): "And I saw until a large sword was given to those sheep, and the sheep went out against all the wild beasts to kill them, and all the beasts and birds of heaven fled before them. And I saw until a throne was construed in the pleasant land and the Lord of the sheep sat upon it, and he took all the sealed books and opened those books before the Lord of the sheep. And the Lord summoned those first seven white men [the seven archangels], and he commanded them to bring before him beginning with the first star that had preceded those stars whose organs were like the organs of horses, and they brought all of them before him....And behold I saw all of them bound, and they all stood before him. And judgment was exacted first on the stars, and they were judged and found to be sinners. And they went to the place of judgment and they threw them into an abyss, and it was full of fire, and it was buring and was full of pillars of fire. And those seventy shepherds were judged and found to be sinners, and they were thrown into that fiery abyss....And I stood up to see, until that old house was folded up, and they removed all the pillars, and all the beams and ornaments of that house were folded up with it, and they removed it and put it in a place to the south of the land. And I saw until the Lord of the sheep bought a new house, larger and higher than that first one, and he erected it on the site of the first one that had been rolled up".

1 Enoch 93:12-17 (Apocalypse of Weeks): "And after this there will arise an eighth week of righteousness, in which a sword will be given to all the righteous, to execute righteous judgment on all the wicked, and they will be delivered into their hands. And at its conclusion, they will acquire possessions in righteousness, and the temple of the kingdom of the Great One will be built in the greatness of its glory for all the generations of eternity. After this there will arise a ninth week [a period of about 500 years], in which righteous law will be revealed to all the sons of the whole earth; and the deeds of wickedness will vanish from the whole earth and descend to the eternal pit, and all humankind will look to the path of eternal righteousness. After this, in the tenth week, the seventh part [i.e. about 1000 years after the start of the ninth week], will be the eternal judgment, and it will be executed on the watchers of the eternal heaven [i.e. the wicked angels], and a fixed time of the great judgment will be rendered in the midst of the holy ones. And the first heaven will pass away in it, and a new heaven will appear, and all the powers of the heavens will shine forever with sevenfold brightness. After this there will be many weeks without number forever, in which they will do piety and righteousness, and from then on sin will never again be mentioned".

Revelation 19:11-21, 20:1-4, 7-15, 21:1-2, 22-24: "I saw heaven standing open and there before me was a white horse, whose rider is called Faithful and True....The armies of heaven were following him, riding on white horses and dressed in fine linen, white and clean. Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations....Then I saw the beast and the kings of the earth and their armies gathered together to wage war against the rider on the horse and his army. But the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who had performed the signs on its behalf.... The rest were killed with the sword coming out of the mouth of the rider on the horse, and all the birds gorged themselves on their flesh....And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven, having the key to the abyss and holding in his hand a great chain. He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. He threw him into the abyss, and locked and sealed it over him, to keep him from deceiving the nations anymore until the thousand years were ended...When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle....But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever...Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea... I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God... The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp. The nations will walk by its light, and the kings of the earth will bring their splendor into it ".

As you can see, the scenario in Revelation is hardly original to that author; John of Patmos developed apocalyptic ideas that were already popular in the Judaism of the era.

Second, you write: "The author of Barnabas gives his own speculation on what constitutes the length of a creative 'day', although I cannot see how he arrives at such a reasoning, since by his own words he shows he understands a 'day' to be a thousand years, so a creative day must amount to a thousand years in duration". As I discussed above, I don't know of any early source that construed the creative days as of long duration; this seems to be a modern notion motivated by concordism. Barnabas does not construe the creative days as a thousand years each. Barnabas is instead saying that the six thousand years of human existence is antitypical to the six days of creation, with each thousand years being symbolized by the six days of creation. He says nothing about the creative days themselves, other than that they typify both the Passion Week and the entirety of human history. The whole book of Barnabas was devoted to finding typological parallels between Christ and symbols in the OT. The author is only interested in the six days of creation as a symbol for what would follow.

jwfacts....It is important to recognize that P construes the cycle of day-night as preceding the creation of the heavenly luminaries; the sun and moon rather govern the cycle that already exists...they assist in separating light from darkness (v. 18), but such separation had already been occuring since the first day (v. 4-5), with both mornings and evenings. So the day/night rhythm of time did not have to wait until the later creation of the sun on the fourth day. It is clear that this was the ancient understanding. So in the Essene 364-day calendar, the sun was created on I/1, the first day of the year, but I/1 fell on Wednesday, not a Sunday (the first day of the week). That means that when the sun was created in the very beginning, there was already a sequence of days ongoing, that had started several days earlier. The unbroken count of weeks that continue to the present have their beginning on the first day of creation (Sunday), with the sun then created on Wednesday, and God resting on Saturday.

• OldGenerationDude
    OldGenerationDude

Postscript: My comments might possibly also be in line with what JWFacts brings out.

If this were literal and thus historically linear, then the order of things (and there is a lot of "order" happening in the account) doesn't make sense. It would make no sense to have "light" separated from "darkness" but have to wait three days before you have the things that bring "light" to therefore allow for the separation.

Like a storyline that does not unfold in a linear fashion, such as Christopher Nolan's film MEMENTO, we need to read the account like a Hebrew who is used to finding doublets in their writings (such as found in the proverbial patterns in Proverbs). Since P was added to the Genesis account after the Jews returned from Babylonian exile, an exile the Jews attributed to not obeying the Law (especially failing to observe Sabbath, which the Jews to this day cite as the foremost obligation they had failed in up to that point), it is likely that P, being concerned with Torah observance, was careful to place this addition into a mnemonic pattern which emphasized or highlighted the importance of keeping Sabbath. This wouldn't be unexpected since it would become the first thing a reader would encounter when reading Genesis.

Outside of this "Sabbath-observance" reminder, the number of days lose their meaning. Days 1 and 4 obviously describe the same event, as do days 2 and 5, and finally 3 and 6. That this may seem complicated to the Gentile reader should not be dismissed. It is not meant to be read from the standpoint of a Gentile unconcerned with Sabbath observance or unfamiliar with Hebrew proverbial doublet structure but instead may require this. Should that be the case, seeking support for the Watchtower teaching of 7000 year-long days would be highly illogical, even if one were reading it with the belief that it was merely superficial mythology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit