Thor

by Chariklo 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

I watched the film Thor at the weekend, with grandchildren and my daughter too.

We all really enjoyed it. The 12-year-old wanted to know more about Thor, the 10-year-old just loved it all, especially the Rainbow Bridge, and my daughter was completely taken with it and couldn't wait for a sequel.

As for me, I kept smiling to myself, ElderE, thinking yes, that's a hammer and a half. Most definitely a god to have on your side!

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

I saw Thor but I didn't see the Avengers. I heard it was even better so you and your family would probably enjoy it.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Yes!!!!!!!!!! Hehehehehehehehehe!!!!!!!!! Im awesome happy beyond words charlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt even "love" thor persay, avengers was waaaaay better, but anything that exposes people to our dear thor and inspires them to want to learn more is a good thing :-D

This thread makes me very happy :-D

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Yes! That's how I feel, ElderE...though I wouldn't use the words "our dear Thor myself....rings too many bells of JW memory. (I had a letter from an elder referring to "our dear King".)

Thor is a great big friendly powerful guy with a hammer and a Rainbow Bridge, the "protector of the gods and mortals alike". I found that definition on a site selling Viking replicas of Thor hammer pendants. If I'm on his side he's on mine, and that's very, very cool!

• cantleave
    cantleave

Love those pendants!!!

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

Great, aren't they, cantleave!

Just one of many good things about Thor!

ElderElite has with one stroke introduced us to a whole new world of possibilities. A system where human beings can interact without fear with gods who value their friendship and don't see us as all marred with original sin or anything like it!

I recommend to anyone and everyone who enjoys a good book and is interested in Thor and his friends the story of Uhtred of Bebbanburg and King Alfred.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uhtred_of_Bebbanburg

There are six books in the series and they basically cover the battles between Norsemen and Anglo-Saxons over England, and the simultaneous beween Christianity and the old Norse religion.

They're a fantastic read and I recommend them to everyone, but especially lovers of Thor.

• elderelite
    elderelite

Ohhhhhhh charlie, i am itching to download those!!!!!!! Its midmorning EST and im at work but as soon as i get home..... Im grapping those :-)

• Chariklo
    Chariklo

You'll love them, ElderE! A cracking good read, fictional main character but historically accurate, and the sort of book you don't want to put down and really look forward to getting back to.

Start with the first if you can, "The Last Kingdom". I haven't yet read the last one.

I like the way Uhtred always has his hammer pendant round his neck, no matter what else happens.

The writer, Bernard Cornwell, is descended from a family that might just possibly stem from the character Uhtred Ragarson. Bebbanburg is Bamburgh, on the north-east coast.

Have you got a Kindle, then?

• elderelite
    elderelite

Lol well always makes sense to start at the begginig ;-)

No kindle, i have a nook but i always end up reading on my iphone nook app :-D

• elderelite
    elderelite

In fact i will take great delight in reading it at the meeting :-D

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit