Paradise earth doctrine - did it strike anyone else as a bit odd?

by sseveninches 39 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

There are so many inconsistencies with a Paradise Earth. In fact, I don't think it ever existed. Just look at predation/parasitism. It's gone on long before any so called "Garden of Eden".

If you still believe sharks, crocodiles, lions, or any predatory animal will one day eat "hay", you've owe it to yourself to stick your head into the gaping, hungry mouths of these "soon-to-be vegetarians."

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

The "crocodiles eating hay" is also something that bothered me. If they were created by God's design, why aren't they eating hay now? Why is it that only some animals eat hay or other vegetarian foods and not all?

• wasblind
    wasblind

GB ain't stupid as folk thank,

The sheep can jump in a shark tank if they wanna

thinkin' they gonna swim wit the pet fishes

The GB gonna be standin' on dry land playin' the theme from JAWS

• TD
    TD

As the JW's depict paradise (Without a hint of technology) it's an ignorant pipe dream.

It's possible to build a cozy little gabled, shingled, lapsided, wood frame house tastefully situated in front of a clear mountain lake using only hand tools. It would take you quite awhile, but it's possible.

The problem is, hand tools don't grow on trees. There is a surpising amount of technology in something as simple as a hand saw.

It takes big tools to make small tools. And it takes bigger tools to make the big tools that make the small tools. Lathes, presses, milling machines, hammer forges, blast and smelting furnaces and the infrastructure to support them and the energy to run them. On and on and on.

JW's can (And do) object that injecting too much technology into the picture complicates things and that's true to an extent. Metallurgy, for example was an established technology long before we had electrical power. However this makes the problem worse not better. You can take technology out of the picture, but the more you remove, the more back-breaking human physical labor it takes to replace it. --Labor to mine iron ore, labor to mine coal, labor to stoke coal fired furnaces, and steam engines, labor to cut trees by hand, etc.

The truth is, almost any manufactured product you lay your eyes on is really "sitting" on top of a very large pyramid of other technologies. The classic example is the pencil. It's one of the simplest of manufactured items, but could you make one?

And it is this huge network of technologies along with the infrastructure to support them (e.g. railroads, mines, power plants etc.) that "makes" the world we live in the very thing that JW's seem to detest ---An industrialized society were the vast majority live in cities and work for others.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Tecknology? ......what do I know about that......I can't even spell it. I'm praying that the Amish survive or we're going to be seriously F%$#

It's going to be a mess is what it's going to be. Dead bodies everywhere and resurrected people lurching around like Zombies without the biting stuff.....thank god we'll all be veggie people.......but I'm not going to potty train them.

Hey what does reintarnation mean? It's coming back to life as a hillbilly.

• glenster
  • ammo
    ammo

Oh NO I believed it, hook,line and sinker!

I too loved the idea of a peaceful loving well-fed, content in all ways earth

I thought everything would be taken care of, .... like lotto.

YEEEP yep yep yep.

• Quendi
    Quendi

The "paradise earth" teaching was one of the strongest draws for me when I studied with the Witnesses nearly forty years ago. Now that I'm out, I have reexamined the beliefs I held as a Witness. I still believe the paradise earth is a valid biblical teaching, but I don't accept the WTS teaching about how this will come about.

Quendi

• wasblind
    wasblind

TD You have just confirmed what the witnesses knew all along

and that is Wuz will not be checkin in at Paradise Manor

And I am tellin' you, IIIIIIII'm not goooooin'

( Eat my dust Jennifer Hudson )

LOL @ Giordano, looks like The WTS need to recruit the amish

• Knowsnothing
    Knowsnothing

TD, an objection to technology would be living as the primitive tribes do, thus allowing for sustainability. However, that just seems like an incredibly boring life to me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit