Did Jesus ever use the name Jehovah?

by biometrics 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• biometrics
    biometrics

While growing up as a JW this was a question I often wondered about: Did Jesus ever call his heavenly father by the name Jehovah? And if he did, why wasn't it recorded.

I know there's plenty of references such as John 17:6, 26 where it says "I have made your name manifest to the men ...". However is there anywhere in the bible where Jesus used the actual word Jehovah?

• yesidid
    yesidid

If he did it wasn't recorded in the Bible.

• GLTirebiter
    GLTirebiter

Jesus would not have said "Jehovah", because that mis-translation originated many centuries later. A Spanish monk mixed up consonants for the divine name (written form) with vowels for the Hebrew word "Adonai" (Lord, the spoken replacement word), thus producing the hybrid "Jehovah".

• smiddy
    smiddy

I beleive their was no J sound in the hebrew language,that is why some bible translations use y instead of j . eg: Yer`miah instead of Jerimiah ,Yo`siah instead of Josiah

smiddy

• smiddy
    smiddy

The witnesses claim they get their name from Isa:43:10,now I ask you did the jews identify themselves as jehovah`s Witnesses from then on ? a great length of time before the birth of Christ.? Did Jesus instruct his followers to identify themselves as Jehovah`s Witnesses to distinguish themselves from the religous leaders of his day ? In fact it is recorded in the book of acts that his (Jesus ) followers " by divine providence they were to be called christians "not jehovah`s witnesses , think about it.

smiddy

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

The question should rather be: Did Jesus pronounce the Tetragrammaton? As has been brought out, it is highly unlikely that he would have pronounced it as "Jehovah".

According to the Jewish Talmud, according to uncensored versions, Jesus Christ effected miracles by calling on “the Name”, an indirect acknowledgement that he did use God’s name. He himself declared: “I have made your name known to the people...” (cf. John 17:6, 26; 5:43). Early Coptic texts (Pistis Sophia) tells of Jesus praying to his father by addressing him by various names and incantations: Aeeiouo, Iao, Aoi, and others. In another passage, Jesus addresses his Father in the following names and words: Iao Iouo, Aoi, Oia, and others. This is an indirect indication that he did pronounce God’s Name. What was a popular first century pronunciation of the Divine Name? Norman Walker puts forth a few suggestions:

Aquila’s version, made round about 130 A.D., is remarkable for its Old Hebrew lettering of the Divine Name in the midst of the Greek text. Put into square character, what Aquila wrote was yhyh, Jâh-Jâh [cf. yâh of MT and Greek ’Iá of Aq, Sym, Theod, and Quinta of Origen’s Hexapla], the popular substitute for yhwh “Yahweh”, the ineffable Name, the very naming of which was regarded as blasphemy as far back as the third century BC, if the LXX at Lev. xxiv 16 represents current public opinion.... By the time the Mishna was compiled (c. 190 A.D.) the pronunciation had become practically JeJâ as the form yeyâ shows....

The recovery of a purer Ben Asher Text by KAHLE [KITTEL, Biblia Hebraica (Third Edition, 1945)] reveals that the Divine Name was earlier pointed yehyâh, that is with the vowels of JeJâ and not those of ‘Adhonâi. It seems to me that this vocalization supports the implication of Aquila and the Mishnaic form, namely, that in the first two centuries A.D. at least, if not later, the Divine Name was uttered JehJâh or briefly JeJâ. [i]

[i] N . Walker , The Writing of the Divine Name in Aquila and the Ben Asher Text, Vetus Testamentum , vol . III, No. 1, January, 1953, pp. 103, 104 .

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

The simple answer is, "of course not". Jesus, if he existed, would not have pronounced a "J" sound.

There is also no evidence that Jesus, if he existed, said or did anything attributed to him in the New Testament, which is basically a hodge-podge of books fairly arbitrarily selected, to the exclusion of a bunch of other books.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

@Jeffro: Can you provide evidence for your claim, this will be good! Dr. Bart Erhman has recently been making a case for Jesus Of Nazareth, I would like to see how you refute Dr. Erhman's latest works. Please share you insights into your discovery of this fraud!

"There is also no evidence that Jesus, if he existed, said or did anything attributed to him in the New Testament, which is basically a hodge-podge of books fairly arbitrarily selected, to the exclusion of a bunch of other books.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I just realised that I believe both that Jesus probably did use God's name and that Jesus probably did not exist as a single historical figure who can be meaningfully identified with the Jesus of the gospels.

• Bubblegum Apotheosis
    Bubblegum Apotheosis

What do you think Yahushua thought of Jersey Shore while he was on earth in 35 C.E.? He could look into the future and watch the Simpsons, Avatar, LOST and other cool shows!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit