The real truth is that you know you've recovered when you stop caring about JW's

by gubberningbody 36 Replies latest jw friends

• wasblind
    wasblind

Thanks Mr. freeze

My mom and a sister died from cancer, I was so glad that it wasn't cancer for me

lookin' at the others in the waitin' room reminded me of what my family

members went through wit their diagnosis

I thought It was very brave of those two volunteers to come back

to assist others

• Giordano
    Giordano

And a tip of my hat to sizemik for his comments.

I was a witness from age 13 to 23 then my wife and I walked away. Family members died off having never forgiven us for disbelieving.

We carried on, made a very good life for ourselves started our family, made a lot of new friends etc. Forty years later I wondered how the Jw's were doing. Stumbled on this site during a search. Read somthing about going out in service that was funny as hell. Read posts about shunning that made me sad and angry.

I spent maybe the most important years, the most transformative a person can have in a cult surrounded by mostly fine people beliving that being a JW mattered, then deciding it was the wronge religion and spent the next 40 years never thinking about it or caring about it. Now I visit daily because I can relate to those who have experienced this strange kooky religion and for whatever reason got out. I don't feel like the odd person out when I am here. Well..... some of you are odder then I so there is that....... lol.

• FrankRaven
    FrankRaven

Walter Martin once said," We really have a lot of people to bring to the Lord." Yes..the JW. Never forget the JW...they are honest, sincere, and very loving people....As for the WatchTower Bible & Tract Society..that's another issue:-)

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

The truth is there will always be massive scars where your wound once was; so even though you have "recovered", and say you no longer care, you can't help but think about it from time to time because of the irremovable scars.

• nugget
    nugget

I think as you recover you need the board less for yourself. You care less about what the society produces but you still care about those you love and care about trapped inside. You are here for others and less for you.

• mind blown
    mind blown

Everyone's here for various reason. I had been away for 23 years, not looking back, until just recently when those bastards got thier claws in my child via a witness boy... otherwise I would have not giving the WTS, GB or JW another thought in the world.....

Others have had close ties with familey and friends.......it's like a death......it's an abuse. A friend recently wrote this about situational pain of losing someone........" going through the mundane business of our days while our pain tirelessly marathons alongside." ......."at times you're fine then the reality of the situaltion seeps up from the flloor boards into your personal space."

You know, recently I had just remembered the horrible, horrible nightmares I used to have, as well as fear of the dark in my room due to all the Demon talk and the big A.......even carred some into my adulthood because it was so burned into my psyche......

• fresh prince of ohio
    fresh prince of ohio

Everybody is different. I left the Johos over 10 years ago, which means that I've been OUT longer than I was IN. With no JW relatives or any ongoing connections with the borg, the whole experience of it has faded into this weird, very time-compressed period in my memory that carries little or no emotional weight now, other than some low-level regret for the lost years and some low-level embarrassment that I was ever receptive to such utter nonsense.

But, I do still feel a connection with other people who have left, and this place was such a godsend to me when I left in '02, so I think it's important to keep the board active as long as JWism continues to exist in its ever-morphing ways.

• blond-moment
    blond-moment

I just don't understand why there are so many who care enough to tell us they no longer care. Mind boggling how often it comes up. Oh and of course those who have moved on by telling me to move on. Those are fun too.

• apostatethunder
    apostatethunder

You know you are recovered when you are the owner of your own life and decisions. For some people this happens when they are still in the organization, some take years to fully recover even after they leave. Everybody should care about cults, they have an effect on the whole of society and the way society evolves.

• zagor
    zagor

yup

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit