If Sparlock is wrong...

by TD 25 Replies latest jw friends

• processor
    processor

The Bible and the Watchtower. Both mention wizards, witches and other magicians. The Bibel even contains statements by real witches and from Satan himself.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Gerrit Losch (GB member) specifically mentioned Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings as being off limits for Witnesses. This was at an assembly some 7/8 years ago.

It's a slippery slope. When I was growing up, the Sparlock rationale was always promoted by the hardliners, but deviations from orthodoxy were tolerated. If you take the Sparlock rationale to its logical conclusion, how could a Witness graduate high school? He'd have to refuse to read half of his English assignments (Shakespeare, Ancient Greek mythology, etc). Absurd.

• mindseye
    mindseye

neverendingjourney wrote: It's a slippery slope. When I was growing up, the Sparlock rationale was always promoted by the hardliners, but deviations from orthodoxy were tolerated.

Yeah, same here. My family was pretty lax, but I knew others whose parents had to measure the 'demon' factor of everything they watched and played with. Still, I knew JWs who read 'Lord of the Rings' and watched cartoons with magic. It was considered a 'matter of conscience'.

I'm guessing after the success of Harry Potter and other movies, the org is taking a harder line. Too bad for the kids.

• Fernando
    Fernando

...then Judge Rutherfraud was right:

'Babylon is the mother of all religions, and the Devil is the father thereof, All religions properly take the name of Babylon. The Devil is the great enemy or adversary of God, and his religion therefore is an enemy of the Almighty God. The Devil is man's worst enemy, and his religion is likewise a deadly enemy to man. The Devil's organization is symbolized by an unchaste or impure woman, which is called "Babylon". Therefore all religions are of Babylon, and particularly the leading religion known in the lands called "Christendom".'

(from the 1937 JR WBT$ book "Enemies" on page 71. Some OCR related copying errors corrected, although pdf displays correctly.)

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

How about songs for children?

Puff the Magic Dragon.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

"Superman ok! he's Superman"

There is always a way to find fault. When you're the Watchtower, if you can't find it one way, you can find it another.

The Society has taught that Superman and other Super Heros, who are out to save people that are otherwise doomed, are nothing more than a substitue for Christ, the true Savior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit