Minumim wage may go to $10 per hour...

by darthfader 16 Replies latest social current

• darthfader
    darthfader

I understand the reasons for the desire to raise the minimum wage, but as a small business owner, I'll have to raise prices to keep my margins profitable. A 30% hit is pretty substantial.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/07/business/bill-pushes-for-increase-in-wages.html

• milola
    milola

On the same token it should allow more people to afford more products from your business, hopefully.

• AnneB
    AnneB

I can't stand news stories that have "may" in them. Why get into a tizzy over something that "may" or "may not" happen? Seems like a waste of time and energy to me.

People who believe that their efforts influence/impede the political process may disagree. That's not the sort of thing I'm talking about. I mean stories like:

'The sky *may* be falling'

'Earth *may* be hit by a meteor'

'California *may* fall into the sea'.

Worse are the ones with titles like:

'The President *may* do this or that'

'There *may not* be enough of some vital supply to go around'.

My gut reaction is generally "Give it a rest! Come back only if you have something definitive to say!" While newswriters are collecting a paycheck for turned out such drivel, I'm not improving my circumstances in any way by taking the time to read it.

To the persons responsible for the fearmongering: Jeez, get a grip!!!

• cantleave
    cantleave

As a business owner why shouldn't your employees be entitled to decent standard of living? If you can run your business without them, don't employ them. If you can only afford to employ on less than minimum wage, re-evaluate your business model.

I believe small business are the key to economic growth, but we want business to be creating decent jobs and real opportunities, not one step up from slave labour.

• darthfader
    darthfader

Cantleave: Because most of my employees are highschool students or college kids living at home. The few people that are actually trying to support their families are paid $15 already. I will likely re-evaulate my business model and close the shop. Thus unemploying 10 people.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Cantleave, I hope that doesn't happen. The problem that too many people don't realize is that you can't make a job worth more by government fiat. A lot of minimum wage jobs are for enty level positions. Those kids working for you are getting paid in something other than money; they are learning skills, proving they can show up for work on time (if you haven't run a business you can't imagine how many people have a problem with that concept), and hopefully you'll give them a good reference when they move on to the next stage. That's all worth a lot.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The problem that too many people don't realize is that you can't make a job worth more by government fiat. A lot of minimum wage jobs are for enty level positions.

The problem is that there are big fat cat corps (easy to pick on WalMart here) that make a habit of keeping everyone at minimum wage, part time positions. These employees are then steered to govenment assistant programs to help with their healthcare and other costs because they are not being paid a wage that will sustain even a humble existence. Yet Corporate rakes in HUGE profits and creates the world's richest billionaire business owners. Something is wrong when the slave doesn't even get the scraps from the Master's table.

Doc

• hybridous
    hybridous

Why all this farting around with these piecemeal increases? Why not just make it somewhere from $15 to $20 bucks per hour and guarantee decent wages for everyone employed?

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

I hate to say it but there are too many people that are just not worth 10 an hour.

• botchtowersociety
    botchtowersociety
    Why all this farting around with these piecemeal increases? Why not just make it somewhere from $15 to $20 bucks per hour and guarantee decent wages for everyone employed?

Why half ass it?!?!? Let's just raise it to $100 an hour and everyone can be rich!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit