a grunt's bethel experience

by jnrtigbfxd0 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• sseveninches
    sseveninches

I took the time to read every word of that, since at one point I actually wanted to go there. Thanks for all the info - I enjoyed the insight into the "bethel" experience.

I was offered by a CO's wife to go to Bethel, back when I was still interested, and when I told her I was still in college, she said I could drop it and they'd "finish my training". I have no idea what she meant by "finish my training", and I don't think that engineering is something that anyone can teach and be recognized by other schools/employers.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Excellent insight, it should be required reading for all prospective Bethelites !

Keep posting...

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

jnrtigbfxd0 Thanks for your story bud. Check your PMs I sent you one. Sometimes when you try to go into them there is a error message but if you back up and try again it should come up.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Bathrooms were shared on the floors. You would be brushing your teeth and hear the shower going beside you. Very strange atmosphere.

That says a lot...

I'm not too far away from there--here the dubs have almost zero interpersonal boundaries with each other. Beyond weird. Everyone knew all highly personal details about everyone--right down to who is taking which birth control pills, acne medication, who's constipated even. If 2 opposite-sex teens smiled at each other it shot around the kingkongregation like wildfire. I always thought the lack of privacy was a way to keep people humiliated.

As an INTJ I found that atmosphere impossible to...what's the best word...ah...assimilate into. I found it invasive, oppressive, and sick--even as a kid.

• Quendi
    Quendi

That is an incredible experience but one I expected to read, jnrigbfxd0. This religion is a cult and that can be plainly and clearly seen by the way things are done at its headquarters. Your experience makes me glad that I never applied for Bethel service.

Years ago, when I was still in the 19-35 age bracket that was the prerequisite for applicants, I attended the Bethel meeting at the district convention to gain some information about the place. The Bethelite who gave the presentation was clearly a drone. His own personality had been scrubbed clean and replaced with what I can only call an organizational mentality. I didn't want that to happen to me, so I made up my mind then and there to never consider Bethel for "full time service".

I'm glad you got out alive and intact. Welcome to the real world! I think you'll find your abilities better suited and used than they ever would have been at Walkill.

Quendi

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit