am I making the right choice?

by lostinthought 11 Replies latest jw friends

• lostinthought
    lostinthought

As my user name suggests, I tend to over think a lot and I have pretty low self confidence, I tend to question most decisions I make hoping they are “right”, this winter I went through a lot emotionally when I found out the truth about the “truth” even trying anti depressants and therapy, but for the first time in a long while I have an inner peace…although I’m still an active publisher I have scaled down quite a bit, only doing service every two weeks or so and I really stopped studying WT publications all in all I think I’m taking bay steps to freedom but unfortunately over thinking gets to me and I question whether I’m making the right choices or a major mistake, lately I have been having OMG movements thinking maybe they are right and I am wrong…so I need a little encouragement

• snowbird
    snowbird

Courage!

• Tomapostate
    Tomapostate

Hi Lostin, hope you are ok. Leaving them is a big change and it is something you are wise to take slowly. I did

• fortis et liber
    fortis et liber

I tend to over think things too, Lost -- what I find helpful sometimes is breaking down the situation and separating the emotion from the facts. You mention finding out the 'truth about the truth,' that moment can be overwhelming because of all that it entails (i.e. potentially, the cost of leaving and/or separating yourself from the organization) but the flip side of that is, the facts. And the fact of the matter is, it's not "the truth" at all, it is a man made organization run by a bunch of guys in Brooklyn (or wherever GB currently resides). Isn't that a relief to know that?

They say 'ignorance is bliss' for this reason. Sometimes when you actually dig deep and learn about something you are called to action by something deep inside, based on reason. That is, *your* reasoning, your thinking about the facts you are uncovering. The action that is called for may by accompanyied by some painful side effects but, would you rather stay ignorant to the facts then know the actual 'truth'?

Hang in there.

~ Fortis

• Lozhasleft
    Lozhasleft

I don't think any of us can tell you what's right for you Lostinthought. My instincts tell me to urge you to get out and find your freedom before wasting any more of your life but.....it's taken me a long time to reach those decisions myself, and they had to be mine, no one else's. You have to weigh up the pros and cons as they relate to yourself now...try to be objective and look at them written down.

The freedom outside the WTBS is really wonderful, once your mind is free and open to the fact that you've been in a cult. It comes with a price though, loss of close relationships for one. It's a journey in my opinion, with different stages, take it a step at a time and let your insides tell you what feels 'right' and what doesn't ?

Loz x

• Soldier77
    Soldier77

"Never give up! Never surrender!"

Hang in there, give it time, let it process. Do more research on points that interst you then start widening it out to everything hypocritical and let that knowledge fuel your freedom.

• sd-7
    sd-7

One thing I found that helped, which may be an irony, is reading the Bible by itself. It is amazing how much you'll come to learn from just that simple thing. The more you see Bible verses in their context, the easier it is to see just how thoroughly deceived we all were.

I don't worry so much anymore that they could be right. Once you see enough in black and white, repeatedly, you start to see the pattern very clearly and it becomes easier. I think understanding propaganda techniques and how cults work will go a long way in helping you understand why you're making the right choice.

Sometimes the sadness means it's time to take a break from researching and enjoy stuff that's totally unrelated. If you can, maybe even stuff that you're 'not supposed to' enjoy, like an R-rated movie or a magical warrior toy or somethin'. I saw a lovely set of Lord of the Rings Pez dispensers at Wal-Mart the other day...

--sd-7

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Get yourself a good book on critical thinking and learn structured methods of analysing information. This will enable you to make better choices and give you the confidence to run with them.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Critical thinking skills really are essential, otherwise you'll find yourself plagued with self-doubt.

You also need something to feel special about. A talent, hobby, education, sport, whatever. Feel special as a unique person.

The WT banks on the idea that people want to feel special, and that they (the WTBTS) are special. As you investigate the WT and other religious groups and cults, you find there is really nothing special about them at all. They certainly are unique, but not special. This has all happened before, and will all happen again.

Its not easy, but you are doing the right thing.

• yknot
    yknot

All will be fine....

So long as you are 'associating' you will occassionally have conflicting emotions/thoughts/ideas...

I am returning to utter full activity as of tonight.... (I am fully 'conscious' too)....so I truly understand this merry-go-round.

Remind yourself ......

1) Our kingdom message is 'Jesus was enthroned in 1914'

2) We didn't start teaching this until the 1920s

3) We have revised, whitewashed and patched and will continue to do so...

Read and discuss our beliefs......start with Russell or Rutherford....download copies of the Golden Age....

Post openly about your feelings and thoughts.....you are not alone in this walk, some of us have walked ahead of you, some are walking with you right now and some are following behind you!

Decide what your goal is..... exit, slow exit or in for the endgame.

Huggles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit