My 6 year old seen sparlock

by twinkle toes 19 Replies latest jw friends

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

So, Sparlock and the other video's have been a topic of conversation around our house these days. My 6 year old has been around and evesdropping every chance he can. He keeps asking to see the video and I keep saying that even though it's a cartoon, it's not suitable for children. Well, he finally got to watch it yesterday and was majorly dissapointed.

After he watched it he asked who Jehovah was ( a proud moment for me) and why does the little boy care if he likes his toy or not. He thought maybe Jehovah was his moms boss or maybe the boys dad. When I told him it is the name some people use for god, he said, " Thats stupid, everyone knows gods name is Jesus". Then he asked me what difference it would would make if god didn't like your toy, he doesn't have to play with it. He also wanted to know why his mom wouldn't have given the toy away instead of throwing it in the garbage, "Its not good for the enviroment to throw away good stuff", he said.

So I told him that in the religion that I was when I was a kid we weren't allowed to play with toys like that or watch movies with witches or fairies or magic in it. I said that people that are still in that religion, use these videos to show their kids what they should think and act like. He responded that they should watch Veggie tales instead if they want to watch bible shows, they are funnier ( for the record he has seen a few on Netflicks its not something we make a deal about at all).

He also said he was glad he wasn't in that religion because their cartoons suck and he loves watching Beauty and the beast.

I guess I worried about it for nothing.

tt

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

From the mouth of babes.

I've had conversations like that with my kids. Not one of them are impressed by the restrictive nature of the bOrg.

• 3dogs1husband
    3dogs1husband

smart Kid...smart Mom <3

• Think About It
    Think About It

That was a great story to relate.

Think About It

• cofty
    cofty

he asked me what difference it would would make if god didn't like your toy, he doesn't have to play with it.

Love it!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Kids: much smarter than they are often given credit for.

• fugue
    fugue

twinkle: how long have you been out? Was your 6-year-old ever exposed to meetings, service, etc.?

I'm just curious, because my oldest is 6, and we were fully "in" as witnesses until he was about 4 1/2 years old. When we stopped going to meetings, he wanted to know why we weren't going. Same with Saturday morning service. It's been about a year and a half since we stopped, and we explained to him early on that we just didn't go to that church any more because we didn't agree with the things they taught. He's completely fine with it... but every so often, he says things like "Did jehovah make trees?" etc. We answer with something like, "Some people believe that. Other people aren't sure." Or something like that.

But I'm wondering how long his memories of his jehovah indoctrination will persist. I keep hoping he'll outgrow it and forget about it. I would LOVE to have an experience like yours, where he doesn't know who jehovah is... maybe it's my boss, etc.

My younger two kids won't know who jehovah is... one was 2 1/2, the other was six months old when we left.

• MrFreeze
    MrFreeze

That is great to hear coming from a small child. Their opinions are not usually based on biased information so you are getting nothing but the answer from a straight shooter.

• blond-moment
  • Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Children's minds are simply not muddled with stuff like adult’s are, so they see right through bullshit.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit