Why do I even care!?

by Bells 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Bells
    Bells

For those of you who don’t know my story – here it is in a nutshell: I’m not a Witness and never have been. In fact I barely knew anything about Witnesses (other than they come and knock on your door when you’re trying to have a sleep in!) until I met - and fell in love with - a boy at school who happened to be a witness. He wasn’t baptised, though was a ‘born in’ witness.

Fast forward 10 years or so, that boy is now my fiancé and so obviously is no longer a Witness in any way (his choice by the way, I tried to stay out of the decision making process as much as possible with that one). Luckily, he was never baptised, so there was never any of that shunning element or anything, though to say it’s still been difficult would be an understatement. Over the past 10 years, I’ve been ostracised, belittled, criticised and pretty much blamed for anything and everything that my in-laws don’t appreciate about my fiancé.

In the beginning, I was really open to their religion and although I knew it wasn’t for me, I was very much ‘each to their own’ and never really thought too much about it. However as time went on and I was treated pretty badly by several Witnesses on several different occasions, I began to resent the whole religion and started looking into it for myself. I stumbled across (no pun intended) this website among others and was able to look at so much information and literature from old Watchtower and Awake magazines. This is where I found out about so many appalling things that had been published – black people should be happy slaves, if you don’t scream when raped – it means you might have enjoyed it and are therefore guilty of fornication, vaccinations and organ transplants are ‘disfellowship-able’ offences etc. etc.

A lot of this stuff made me really angry, I think because I thought ‘you look down on me and treat me lie crap, yet you are willing to follow an organisation who have quite clearly lied and flip flopped on their own teachings!?’

I’d often share my findings with my fiancé and although he has a very similar opinion about the Watchtower and the Witnesses as me, he is a lot less passionate than me about it.

I don’t really understand why it upset’s me a bit that he (fiancé) doesn’t feel more anger towards the organisation and it’s people – after all he was more affected by it than me – it was his whole childhood and he knows it was all a lie!

I get it that his family are still all ‘in’ and so he doesn’t want to start slagging the org off or anything, as they won’t want to hear it, but how can he just seem to not care at all that his family are involved in what is quite clearly a destructive cult?

The thing is though – and I ask myself this often and cannot answer it – why do I care so much? Why can’t I just let it go? Why do I visit these websites and feel justified in some way each time I read further proof that they are not really God’s people? Sometimes I think I even get a bit obsessive about it, then I’ll move on, but then at the next family gathering another comment will be made at me and I’ll be back straight to researching (i.e. obsessing) about it again.

Has anyone been in this situation and felt like this? My fiancé asks me too why I give a toss (when I let him know about the latest scandal I’ve found out about) and I can’t actually answer him. I know I’m angry about how I’ve been treated, but is that it?

Anyway – really interested to hear your thoughts and opinions !

• sizemik
    sizemik

People who care a lot are usually just caring people . . . it's as simple as that. We're all somewhere on the caring continuum. Your personal experience with the cult has prompted you to look more deeply. What you've found is easily enough to inflame and enrage a caring person . . . it's a manifestation of everything vile and disgusting about religion.

As for your fiancee . . . it's hard to say. For any of us who "believed" however, it can be a source of embarrassment and disappointment as much as anger. Add the family situation . . . and he may well have withdrawn his emotional investment altogether. Look at it as a positive and an opportunity to move on from here. Staying with it is not the best course for everybody . . . in spite of what you see here.

• jemba
    jemba

Maybe your fiance is in a bit of denial.

I understand how you feel. A lot of us here are angry at the way the org treats its 'slaves'.

Some people who leave dont make much fuss or have much emotion about it.

Maybe he still believes in armageddon or that the org IS gods mouthpiece?

Its great that you care so much and come to this website in support of him.

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

IDK... maybe because you have a choice.. and your fiancé doesn't. Relatives who are Witnesses drive you crazy if you think about it too much... sometimes I think its better just to ignore the religious side to them.

• Giordano
    Giordano
    "Over the past 10 years, I’ve been ostracised, belittled, criticised and pretty much blamed for anything and everything that my in-laws don’t appreciate about my fiancé."

You have a right to be pissed off about them and their foolish beliefs. I hope you've put your foot down on that kind of treatment and I hope he rallied to your defense.

• wasblind
    wasblind

The important thing is

knowin' the reason your fiance' distance himself from this religion

if is was for anything other than doctrine ( beliefs ), there could be a chance

that he may become involved again

Think of it this way,

your fiance' has strong family ties to a cult

that alone should make you wonder if he would try to bring you in with him one day

knowin' what you know now, that's something to think about

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

If my in-laws were all Scientologists, I would want to know all about them. If they treated me badly, I would want to know all the more why that is.

Thanks for your thoughts on the matter. I wish you well. It will be good to be prepared to understand things as they come up in your life- holidays, birthdays, family events, having kids, family deaths and illnesses.

• poppers
    poppers

Does your fiance defend you went his relatives make belittling remarks about you?

• clarity
    clarity

Hi Bells ...thanks for coming on here to express your thoughts & feelings.

#1 your 'boyfriend' is a lucky guy!

Your passion and interest is to be admired.

Stand-up kind of people are usually just like you.

>

When my "fade" first started, someone said to me ...

"Why do you care? Why not just keep your feelings to yourself. Why tell anybody.

Just pretend, go along with the teachings! Keep quiet and you won't get in trouble and be shunned!

>

No easy answer but ...... to boil it down, ........

it is the level of bu$$ sh$$ on your BS metre, when that hits the top ....that shit is gonna hit the fan!!

clarity

• Ding
    Ding

Maybe he doesn't get as upset as you because he's a lot more used to the WT way of thinking.

Even though he rejects it, it probably doesn't seem as abnormal or off the wall to him as it does to you because he grew up with it and all of his friends and family believed it and bought into it all.

Part of it may be nothing more than different temperaments. What really upsets one person is no big deal to someone else...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit