no praying before meals?

by londonlady 18 Replies latest jw friends

• londonlady
    londonlady

i was recently in the company of a JW. This is a long time devout JW and i served them a meal. I was surprised by their reaction, they simply sat down, grabbed a fork and began shoveling??? No attempt at a prayer was made at all??

Ive been out for a while, has praying before meals become redundant?

• A Stone Crying Out
    A Stone Crying Out

No. It is still expected. Perhaps they are the diet coke of JW's? I always hated being asked to say prayer at mealtime. The family still expect it of me when I visit them, I obige of course, they have yet to discover that I am mentally disassociated from the twoof.

• blondie
    blondie

It is not a df'ing offense so most only do it for show. Others don't like public prayers. Others never pray at meals at home and it is doubtful they even pray personally.

• maninthemiddle
    maninthemiddle

All the JWs in my family still do. Some even make a big production about trying to inclued everyone, this is especially annoying at large gatherings.

• A Stone Crying Out
    A Stone Crying Out

They'll even wait for you if you've disapeared to the toilet. I remember hidding for the start of meal time to avoid if possible being asked to say the prayer, I really developed a phobia around saying prayers in front of others, it still affects me to this day.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

if you no longer attend, and gave them the meal at your table, they would not want to share a prayer.

The Elders Book says that if a person who "used to be a JW" comes to the Kingdumb Hell, the congo wd not speak with them.

(no mention of DA or DF)

You are unclean. Though your food is good to go.

HB

• rebel8
    rebel8

I used to claim to say silent prayers before meals in front of non-jws. They were .00005 seconds long. lol

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

Oh we're supposed to pray before and after EVERYTHING! Most don't though.

I only ever pray when I feel I have to for show; you know the silent prayers when all you do is close your eyes, bow your head and slowly count to thirty so that everyone sees what a good little witless you are with your super long personal prayer.

Even some devout witlesses, and almost all the R&F, are relieved when they don't feel they have to; if they think no one is looking or aren't around someone they feel the need to impress, they don't pray.

Guesse that throws the whole jaybooger is real and always watching thing right out the window doesn't it?

• flipper
    flipper

My extended JW family ( older parents ) always pray before meals. When me and my wife visit them every once in awhile it's a bit awkward as being in THEIR house we just kind of let them do their thing and pray. We sit respectfully and accomodate them. My wife and I never pray as we are agnostics / atheists. We thank ourselves for the food and thank mother earth for growing it either through the seasons or perhaps as the native Americans say, " the great spirit ". Either way - we are still thankful people

• Sayswho
    Sayswho

My brother made the point of saying... Jesus said at Matthew 6:11 -- "Give us today our bread for this day"...

He doesn't say thank you for providing us with our food for the day... does He?

So should thank Him for providing us with our food and then be thankful for not being ones who are not eating for the day or dying because of malnutrition?!...

So why pray? what's the point?

God provides daily needs for who?

Those that fit what criteria?

Sw

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit