Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee

by cofty 11 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

This weekend marks the 60th year of the reign of Queen Elizabeth II and its a 4 day holiday in the UK

This afternoon there will be a flotilla of over 1000 boats on the Thames from all over the world led by the Royal Barge. Love it or hate it we do pomp and ceremony with style.

• designs
    designs

Great country, I was there in 1969 for the Assembly at Twickenham Stadium. Stayed with a nice couple in Coulsdon Surrey. Even had a driink at the Watchtower Bar. I'm sure the London skyline has changed alot since then.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

1968 and 1970 Twickenham. 1969 Wembley.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Wake me up when the Jubilympics are over. Monarchy in this day and age? Bah humbug!

• Broken Promises
    Broken Promises

I'm watching from Australia.

Shame about your weather, but that's so English, isn't it?

• Quandry
    Quandry

What a beautiful boat! It looks like it will be very exciting around there for the next few days. I am sure we'll get some television coverage of it in the U.S.

I view it as a vestige of ancient history that has beauty and grandeur. Yes, pomp, also-in this day and age when many people have their eyes glued on small screens playing video games, or working at dull jobs. It is so, so...British. It will bring in a lot of money from tourists from all over the world, and cause young women to dream of going to the ball with a Prince.

• cedars
    cedars

God save the queen!!

Cedars

• designs
    designs

Thanks Ann, it must have been 1970, my how 42 years flies by. My pioneer buddy and I went on to spent the summer touring Europe

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I think I remember you saying you were at the '69 'Peace' Convention in your neck of the woods?

• designs
    designs

Yep, that was at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit