It's Back! . . . Round 2.

by ABibleStudent 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Band on the Run - I suspect this thread was not clearly titled in an attempt to hide this thread from my comments. To repeat what I argued in other threads, this petition is not only illegal, it is grossly unconst'l. The Supreme Court, in any manifestation, would bar such a move. The First Amendment protects religious freedom. The same goal can be reached by removing tax exemption for all religion. The OP never explains why he chose to remove only "dangerous" cults. The OP is incorrect and does not want to learn the law.

Besides a gross violation of the Constitution, the OP's plan would also be struck down for being too vague. "Dangerous" is too lose a concept to give notice to the public what is and is not permissible. It would vest arbitrary and capricious power in the hands of an uncontrolled bureaucracy. This country was founded by religious dissidents. They were very purposeful in barring federal estalishments. Without such a guarantee, there would be no United States of America.

If the bottom line is venom towards the WT, existing criminal laws apply to WT conduct. Removing all religious exemption is not unconst'l. The wording of the First Amendment is no accident. Law does not exist to right all wrongs. Many wrongs are better remediated through public education. News of the multimillion dollar award is such public education. It puts the public on notice not to become a Witness. Such moves are within the realm of the possible. . . .

Hi Band on the Run, You guessed wrong again about why I chose the title of this thread. I kept the thread’s title short to hopefully peak people's curiosity. Unfortunately, fewer people have viewed this thread than I hoped.

Since you only express your opinions without substantiating your point of view, I’m not afraid of your comments, because you have not refuted anything that I have written by citing with hyperlinks Supreme Court decisions or articles in recognized legal journals that would contradict anything that I have written. I look forward to you posting as frequently as you want to this thread, because hopefully it will remain in the top of the active threads. It would be a refreshing change, if your comments included hyperlinks to authoritative websites or you engaged in a dialogue by asking clarifying questions, instead of reiterating your opinion that you have written in the past.

Please remember that I do plan to respond to your comments in this thread, so I would recommend that you choose carefully whether to post to this thread or not.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

talesin - Gloria Steinem might be interested in this. Contact her at:

mariecochs (at) gmail (dot) com
    P.O. Box 893
    New York, NY 10268

Also, Ms. magazine:

http://www.msmagazine.com/contact.asp

Thanks talesin for the information and suggestions about contacting Gloria Steinem and Ms magazine. Also, I apologize for not responding to your suggestion sooner. We must have both posted to this thread at the same time.

Robert

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks a million to the 29 people, who have signed the White House petition at http://wh.gov/tFK as of this afternoon.

Today, I wrote again to the National Organization of Women website, www.now.org to hopefully inspire them to send an email blast to its 500,000 members. For 500,000 potential signatures it was worth the time to send them an emal. At the suggestion of talesinI also wrote to Gloria Steinem and Michele Kort, Senior Editor of Ms Magazine. The email to Gloria Steinem is shown in the quote box below.

Does anyone else have suggestions of influencial people to write messages to? Will any women who support the White House petition write to NOW, Ms Magazine, and/or Gloria Steinem? Will any women who want to educate non-JWs about the dangers of dangerous orgs like the WTBTS write to NOW, Ms Magazine, and/or Gloria Steinem?

Robert

Email to Gloria Steinem - Dear Gloria Steinem, Do you believe that women (and men) have basic rights of freedom of religious belief and speech and wants to help victims of dangerous orgs? If you do, please send an emails to other interested people and organizations, who you know, about visiting the White House petition “Protect Millions of Americans from Dangerous Orgs” at wh.gov/tFK before June 22, 2012; “Like” the White House petition link above and the following Facebook link, and/or write letters to the President, U.S. senators, and U.S. representative. If you would like to learn more about this petition and reasons for signing it, please visit the Facebook page “Protecting Americans from Dangerous Orgs” at on.fb.me/wh-petition . In the dangerous org that I am most familiar with about 600,000 American women are taught to be subservient to men, and about 4.2 million women throughout the World . A law inspired by t h e White House petition would allow victims of dangerous orgs to file complaints with the IRS, so that the IRS can suspend tax exemptions for an organization to encourage dangerous orgs to change their onerous policies that victimize members. The following two news articles highlight two policies that victims of a dangerous org are currently unable to influence their leaders to change without being further victimized through shunning by other members.. The NY Times printed the following June 17, 2012 Associate Press article about Candace Conti winning the largest child molestation civil settlement to date against the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York: www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/28-million-awarded-in-jehovahs-witnesses-abuse-case.html?_r=2 . Ms. Conti won the settlement because the Watchtower Society pressured congregation elders to not inform other members about a known pedophile in the congregation. The Watchtower policy of secrecy is more onerous because the Watchtower Society promotes that members must shun members who bring reproach on the organization and that members are safer to be with Jehovah's Witnesses than "Worldly" people (i.e.., non-Jehovah's Witnesses). The Watchtower Society seems to prefer to ignore that most behavioral scientist agree that pedophiles cannot be cured and children should be protected from pedophiles. News.com.au wrote the following June 1, 2012 article about a 4-year old girl whose life was saved by a Judge ordering doctors to give her a blood transfusion over her parent's objections: www.news.com.au/national/judge-forces-jehovahs-witness-parents-to-allow-transfusions-for-daughter-with-cancer/story-e6frfkvr-1226380955006. What is not mentioned in the article is that the child's parents are being victimized by the Watchtower Society. If the parents asked doctors to give their child blood transfusions to save their child's life, the parents would be shunned by other Jehovah's Witnesses for not following the Watchtower Society's doctrines. Sincerely,
    Robert
  • ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks a million to the 32 people, who have signed the White House petition at http://wh.gov/tFK as of this afternoon.

Today, I wrote letters to the President, my two U.S. Senators, and my U.S. Representative to hopefully inspire them to either create and/or support legislation to protect million of Americans from Dangerous Orgs. The letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein is shown in the quote box below. Writing letters to the President, U.S. Senators, and U.S. Representatives is another phase of a multi-prong approach to raise awareness of politicians to promote legislative changes.

Does anyone else have suggestions for writing to politicians and influencial people?

Robert

June 20, 2012

Office of Senator Dianne Feinstein

331 Hart SOB

Washington D.C. 20510

Dear Senator Dianne Feinstein:

I respectfully ask that you support and/or create legislation to revise USC Title 26 § 501 (and possibly §170) so that all tax exempt organizations must promote freedom of religion and speech to its members and employees. I believe that Congress should authorize the IRS to promulgate regulations; to investigate members’, employees’, and former members’ complaints of their organization; and to enforce legislation to help Americans protect themselves from Dangerous Orgs. A Dangerous Org’s tax exempt status should be suspended for not less than 3 years that does not promote freedom of religion and speech to its members and employees and instead promotes intimidation and/or coercion of individuals.

Most Americans cannot imagine how Dangerous Orgs can manipulate normal, intelligent people using behavioral, information, thought, and emotional (BITE) control techniques (i.e., thought reform or mind control). To understand how BITE is used and the magnitude of harm inflicted by Dangerous Orgs, please read books by cult experts, such as Steve Hassan’s book “Combatting Cult Mind Control”; visit websites of cult experts, such as Steve Hassan’s website www.freedomofmind.com; and/or read recent news articles that are mentioned below. Dangerous Orgs promote that their members shun and/or mark unrepentant members or former members to intimidate members to blindly follow what the Org’s leadership orders.

From my personal experience with Jehovah’s Witnesses (JWs), who are members of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society (WB&TS) of New York Inc. (EIN 11-1753577), the following two news articles highlight two policies that victims of the WT&BS are currently unable to influence their leaders to change without being further victimized through shunning by other JWs.

The NY Times printed the following June 17, 2012 Associate Press article about Candace Conti winning the largest child molestation civil settlement to date against the WB&TS: www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/28-million-awarded-in-jehovahs-witnesses-abuse-case.html?_r=2 . Ms. Conti won the settlement because the WB&TS pressured congregation elders to not inform other JWs about a known pedophile in the congregation. The WB&TS’s policy of secrecy is more onerous because the WB&TS promotes that JWs must shun JWs who bring reproach on the organization and that JWs are safer to be with JWs than "Worldly" people (i.e.., non-JWs). The WB&TS's male leaders seem to prefer to ignore that most behavioral scientist agree that pedophiles cannot be cured and children should be protected from pedophiles.

News.com.au wrote the following June 1, 2012 article about a 4-year old girl whose life was saved by a Judge ordering doctors to give her a blood transfusion over her parent's objections: www.news.com.au/national/judge-forces-jehovahs-witness-parents-to-allow-transfusions-for-daughter-with-cancer/story-e6frfkvr-1226380955006 . What is not mentioned in the article is that the child's parents are being victimized by the WB&TS. If the parents asked doctors to give their child blood transfusions to save their child's life, the parents would be shunned by other JWs for not following the WB&TS's doctrines.

If Congress does create legislation to define public policy for the IRS by revising USC Title 26 § 501 (and possibly §170) to protect victims of Dangerous Orgs from coercing and intimidating its members, Congress should also consider clearly defining the following public policies for the IRS to enforce:

· Require all tax exempt organizations to promote to their members and/or employees to encourage victims and perpetrators of felonious crimes to file reports with applicable government agencies before reporting incidents to the legal department of an organization. As a minimum, legislation should specifically require that crimes of child molestation and abuse, rape, and murder should be reported to government agencies before being reported to legal departments.

· Require all tax exempt organizations to promote to their members and/or employees to not practice discrimination based on race, sex, sexual orientation, and/or disability.

· Require Congress and/or the IRS to specifically define charitable acts and to define when an act is not sufficiently beneficial to be considered charitable and/or cancel out other charitable benefits that an organization provides to maintain its tax exempt status.

· Require all tax exempt organizations receiving more than $150,000 (in 2012 dollars) to spend at least 50% of all donations on charitable acts that help non-members and/or non-employees of an organization. Also, authorize the IRS to promulgate regulations that will help cost-effectively to monitor and verify that charitable spending limits are achieved.

Although the aforementioned changes to USC Title 26 § 501 (and possibly §170) may appear expensive to implement at first glance, I believe that costs can be paid for by tax exempt organizations and are far less than costs to governments for social and judicial services. According to opinions of Supreme Court justices in BOB JONES UNIVERSITY, GOLDSBORO CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS, INC. v. UNITED STATES. 461 U.S. 574 (1983) , Congress does have the authority and responsibility to define public policy changes for the IRS to enforce.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding to my letter. Also, I have enclosed my letter to you about this same issue that was written on March 29, 2012 that I am still waiting for a response.

Sincerely,

Robert

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Thanks a million to the 36 people, who have signed the White House petition at http://wh.gov/tFK as of this afternoon.

Unfortunately since only 36 people have signed this White House petition with only 3 days until it expires, it seems unlikely that more people will sign this petition than the 93 people who signed the first petition nor will it collect 25,000 signatures so that Obama administration officials will respond to the petition.

Although I believe that requiring tax-exempt organizations to promote freedom of religious belief and speech to members and employees is a core value that will prevent organizations from becoming Dangerous Orgs, it appears that my idea has very limited support. In an attempt to increase awareness of politicians to revise USC Title 26 §501 (and possibly §170) to clearly define public policy, I plan to continue to write politicians about protecting children from child abuse and molestation by requiring that tax-exempt organizations implement policies to protect children and encourage prompt reporting of felonious crimes such as child abuse and molestation, rape, and murder.

Today, I wrote letters to the President, my two U.S. Senators, and my U.S. Representative to hopefully inspire them to either create and/or support legislation to protect children from child abuse and molestation. The letter to Senator Dianne Feinstein is shown in the quote box below. Writing letters to the President, U.S. Senators, and U.S. Representatives is another phase of a multi-prong approach to raise awareness of politicians to promote legislative changes.

Does anyone else have suggestions for writing to politicians and nfluential people?

Robert

Dear Senator Dianne Feinstein:

I respectfully ask that you support and/or create legislation to revise USC Title 26 §501 (and possibly §170) to require that all tax-exempt organizations and its leadership must promptly report felonious crimes to proper government authorities and protect children from child abuse and molestation. I believe that Congress should authorize the IRS to promulgate new regulations; to expand investigating complaints of non-profit organizations; and to enforce the legislation. An organization’s tax exempt status should be suspended for not less than 3 years if an organization encourages its members and/or employees to discourage victims and perpetrators from promptly reporting felonious crimes to applicable government agencies or if an organization does not implement policies that effectively protect children from child abuse or molestation. As a minimum, legislation should specifically require that crimes of child molestation and abuse, rape, and murder should be reported to government agencies before being reported to an organization’s legal department.

Considering the following news reports, it seems incomprehensible to me that tax-exempt organizations are not required to have effective child protection policies and to encourage their members and/or employees to encourage victims and perpetrators to report crimes to appropriate government agencies:

· Jerry Sandusky molested children through Second Mile charity that he started for troubled youths: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/25/jerry-sandusky-second-mile_n_1545590.html.

· Amateur Athletic Union institutes child-protection measures to prevent child abuse by the organization’s leadership, such as the allegations against former CEO and President Bobby Dodd: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobcook/2012/06/12/after-ousting-ceo-over-abuse-allegations-aau-mandates-child-protection-measures/.

· Catholic Monsignor William Lynn was found guilty of one count of endangering the welfare of a child for covering up child sex abuse: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/22/us-usa-crime-church-idUSBRE85L13820120622.

· Catholic Bishop, Robert W. Finn, indicted for failure to report suspected child abuse: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/15/us/kansas-city-bishop-indicted-in-reporting-of-abuse-by-priest.html?_r=1.

· Watchtower Bible & Tract Society of New York top leadership pressured local elders to not inform other JWs about known pedophiles in the congregation: www.nytimes.com/2012/06/18/us/28-million-awarded-in-jehovahs-witnesses-abuse-case.html?_r=2.

Although changes to USC Title 26 § 501 (and possibly §170) may appear expensive to implement at first glance, I believe that costs can be paid for by tax exempt organizations and are less costly to governments than for paying for additional social and judicial services. According to opinions of Supreme Court justices in BOB JONES UNIVERSITY, GOLDSBORO CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS, INC. v. UNITED STATES. 461 U.S. 574 (1983) , Congress does have the authority and responsibility to define public policy changes for the IRS to enforce.

Thank you in advance for reading and responding to my letter.

Sincerely,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit