Which bible Translation is best?

by NikL 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FieryIce
    FieryIce

I really like my NRSV but in researching I found out it is missing 22 passages.
    There is e-sword a downloadable bible software with several different versions of the bible to help compare, an aquaintance suggested it to me and it has been a great tool.
    http://www.e-sword.net/index.html

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

My current favourite is the Literal Version by Jay P. Green (who also did the Modern King James Version) - also available freely on e-sword.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Here in Oz the NIV is generally used by Christians. It certainly is a good 'read'. Since reading from it, Mrs Ozzie and I have gained such a fresh appreciation of God's Word, especially the Pauline letters.

However we also have the English Standard Version - just brilliant!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"If our hopes for peace are placed in the hands of imperfect people, they are bound to evaporate."

- Ron Hutchcraft Surviving the Storms of Stress

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

Boy Howdy, am I feelin' Biblicly ignernt. What is this NIV translation that ya'll are talkin' 'bout?

Shimmer

p.s. How did ya like my hillbilly accent?

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• Gopher
    Gopher

Shimmer,

Howdy howdy! The NIV, I believe, is the New International Version of the Bible. It is available at bookstores, if they have such in the hillbilly-land where you live.

J.R.Why shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Shimmer
    Shimmer

Thanky kindly Gopher. I'll mosey on down to the local bookstore and take a gander at what they gots down thar. Maybe if'n I started actually readin' the dern thing I might get lernt. But I just can't seem to get past all them begats.

Shimmer

Maybe being oneself is alway an acquired taste.-----PATRICIA HAMPL

• Adonai438
    Adonai438

Nice accent there , Shimmer.

To anyone in general, If you need a Bible, email me and I'll send you one free of charge .

(Bit of Info, NIV translators came from US, Great Britain, Canada, Australia, & New Zealand and from denominations such as:
    Anglican, Assemblies of God, Baptist, Brethren, Christian Reformed, Church of Christ, Evangelical Free, Lutheran, Mennonite, Methodist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, Wesleyan, etc... to safegaurd against sectarian bias. The main diferance from a Catholic Bible is not the translation but the inclusion of the Apocrypha in the Catholic Bibles. While the apocrypha is historical it is not held as scripture by the protestants.)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit