Which bible Translation is best?

by NikL 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• NikL
    NikL

This one is for those on this board that continue to read the bible. I know there are many on here that don’t. I still do, though not very often, and I don’t accept everything written as straight from the mouth of god.
    One thing I discovered after leaving the witnesses was that the bible is actually an interesting document and not some terribly difficult tome that must be explained every step of the way.
    The dubs rave about how wonderful the New World Translation is and what a joy it is to read and study but I find that I don’t like it at all. It seems choppy and clumsy to me. (Never mind the liberties they have taken with certain scriptures).
    Anyway, I like the Oxford New English Bible the best, especially the study edition with all the footnotes and the Apocrypha. It is easy to read and makes me wonder why the NWT is so difficult.
    What is your favorite translation?

• Satanus
    Satanus

I'm not a bible reader anymore, but when i was, i settled on the nrsv.

SS

• Sargon
    Sargon

Personally I like the Geneva Bible. It's so cumbersome and impracticle that I just can't leave home without it.

They faught like warrior poets...and gained their freedom.

• borgfree
    borgfree

Hi Nikl,

I have several and I like them all for different purposes. The one I probably like best for home use, to get several choices of meanings for words, is the Amplified Bible.

The one I like to take with me, to church etc. is the NIV. It is widely used and I can get all sorts of software etc. for it. Some churches of course, use only the KJV.

Borgfree

"True patriotism doesn't exclude an understanding of the patriotism of others" Queen Elizabeth II
  • Adonai438
    Adonai438

Personal Favorite is NIV.
    It's very literal and easy to read.
    (It's also good that it was translated by over 100 scholars working together that come from all the denominations so it's likely to be unbiased.)

I do own and read occasionally KJV, NRSV, NLT, CRV, yatta, yatta
    I also have and use in research an interlinear hebrew/greek Bible just to see what the original says to make sure it matches translation. Slight overkill?

We all know which is one of the least reliable translations NWT

• hooberus
    hooberus

". . . they have hacked off my hands and my feet." Psalm 22:16 New English Bible (Standard Edition).

I prefer the "pierced" savior of the "Old English" Bible, the KJV

• WhatNow
    WhatNow

I'm going on two years df'd now. Have started back attending meetings like any good 'christian'--on Sundays only. (I figure why go through the week when they're teaching how to go door-to-door and I'm not ALLOWED)

Anyhow, I've been taking my NIV bible to meetings. Yep, right there in front of all those good little J-dubs I look up (Boeran) all their scriptures in my NIV! My cousin who goes to the same hall commented to my 10 year old daughter "I'm confused about your mom's bible."

It really throws them for a loop when you don't look like them. I was under the impression that the Bible was inspired by God and that we can still learn from any translation. I just like to compare the reading.

• ElijahTheThird
    ElijahTheThird

Here, from a couple posts back,,, *S*

Then as you reason, check the passages in several major mainstream religion's bible translations. You will discover some major differences.
    (dont be dumb and just check protestant ones, rofl)
    Try the JW, Catholic, RSV, KJV, and Greek Orthodox, and etc.
    Norval

• NikL
    NikL

Hey whatnow,
    I take my new English Bible to meetings when I go with my wife. Gets stares from the folks who only see the cross symbol on the front of it. It is actually the symbol of Oxford University but anyway, I also enjoy throwing them for a loop. Especially after being told how witnesses like to use different bibles. HA what a crock!

• butalbee
    butalbee

I have a couple different bibles, only read them to compare them to the twisted words in the NWT.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit