"Mother" knows best

by discreetslave 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

When I first watched the movie "Tangled" with my daughter this scene really creeped me out and made me think of the borg. It seems with the title of a convention talk "Motivate RightheartedOnes to Love . . .Their Spiritual Mother (Proverbs 6:20)" they want to bring back the term "Mother" for the next generation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fi8kYcl2Y38

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

It's strange, I never noticed the use of "mother" when I was in the bOrg. Guess I really wasn't paying attention.

• discreetslave
    discreetslave

The use of "Mother" was big from the 40's to the 60's it died out for a while.

• Morbidzbaby
    Morbidzbaby

I felt the same way with that scene, discreetslave. What particularly gets me is that the entire schpiel about Rapunzel staying in the tower for her protection hits way too close to home. Stay inside, the world is a scary place, etc.

When I was in (not so long ago), I did hear several references at DC's and CA's about listening to and obeying "mother". It kind of shocked me... I couldn't believe they were referencing the GB as "mother". It's such a stretch.

My only question is...where in the bible does it say that the FDS/the org is the JW's mother??? I know in Revelation is talks about the bride and the bridegroom, but the bride is supposedly the heavenly organization made up of the 144,000 is it not? And the bridegroom is Jesus, not Jehovah...which means the bridegroom is NOT "father", so how is the bride "mother"? Unless Jehoobie is commiting adultery with his "daughter-in-law" . And wouldn't those annointed on earth be considered part of "mother" as well if the Watchtower were somehow able to explain away the above logic? And yet nobody asks those annointed who aren't on the GB what their opinion is. Nobody listens to them. They'd be considered apostate and thrown out on their ass just as fast as the rest of us if they dared to question anything...even though they are supposed to be a part of the "channel".

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I don't recall the use of "mother" being used when I used to attend either, from the 60's and haven't been to a meeting since the 80's. Maybe it's a regional thing, so many of the BS rules the Borg uses are regional anyway !

• puffthedragon
    puffthedragon

We had a crazy CO that would call the org mother. Really creepy when he did it too. He also said if it werent for the elders the congregations would all be brothels!

• Think About It
    Think About It

I remember hearing the Org. refered to as "Mother" by asswipes that wanted to sound theocratic, and yes it was creepy.

Think About It

• Disillusioned Lost-Lamb
    Disillusioned Lost-Lamb

This scene/song hits waaaay too close to home (we want you to stay inside out of concern for your supposed protection, but really solely for OUR benefit).

Creepometer needle is spinning!

• blue_summmer20
    blue_summmer20

I have never heard the mother thing either. I have been thinking the same thing for a while. I love the movie the whole thing applies here. So true. So frustrating.

• Berengaria
    Berengaria

When I first came to this site, it was very common to see the organization referred to as "Mother". I personally don't remember the meme.

I find it incredibly offensive, as a mother having been raised in a most smothering atmosphere, and very consciously trying to allow my children to be autonomous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit