Therapy suggestions.......

by flower 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Flower the best way to give insight to the therapist of what it is like to be in the borg is to let her know that it is like being in a very controlling dysfunctional family - that gives them a huge step forward into the dynamics of what you will be dealing with. Most therapists have at least an inkling of dysfunctional families and blurred boundaries. This will give you more time to actually deal with your problems and issues and have to spend less time educating her (or him) about the borg.

When I first went to counselling I was still very ashamed to admit I was a JW. I felt like such a failure. Later on I realized I wasn't the failure - the system was. Putting the pieces back is hard work but truly the best work you will ever do.

Rejoice in the healing and not in the pain.
    Rejoice in the challenge overcome and not in the past hurts.
    Rejoice in the present - full of love and joy.
    Rejoice in the future for it is filled with new horizons yet to be explored. - Lee Marsh 2002

• mouthy
    mouthy

Lets know how it goes Flower. I,m doing O.K. More tapes coming your way next week.Love ya lots

• flower
    flower

mouthy,

well it went ok i guess. but i'm a little disappointed cause i feel like if it goes like this every week it will take years to make any progress. i spent the whole hour pretty much talking about the borg and what its all about and their rules ects. wish i had read lady lees post before i left and put it like she suggested. i'm wondering if there is really any way to make a person understand what i feel that hasnt been there. she mentioned something about being happy that now i can finally be myself but she doesnt get that i dont even know who that is because a persons whole identity when they are a dub is wrapped up in the religion. and when you are born in its all you are and all you know. i have to create myself now.

anyway, i guess i'm going to give her five sessions since my company gives five free ones and then we'll see what happens.

take care grace, love ya.

flower

• waiting
    waiting

Hello flower,

May I make a suggestion? There are some absolutely gut-wrenching threads on this forum - particularily about being raised a jw child. Larc started one (you can e-mail him, or look back at his threads) - went on for pages. It shows some of the many difficulties which are hard to articulate face to face.

You might also look here and at some other sites, Freeminds, Shaun's Place, etc., for information to print out to show, in a relatively short time, what it's like to be a true jw.

Outsiders don't understand for the most part.

waiting

• flower
    flower

Thanks Waiting,

Good idea! I'm going to have some stuff printed and ready for when I go back.

flower

• larc
    larc

Flower,

I have been thinking about this for some time now. Since you only have 4 more sessions, I think that you should tell him that you were part of a high control religion bordering on being a cult. He will get the idea. I am afraid that if you bog him down with lots of material, it will cut into the precious time you have. Once he knows the basics, he will be more interested in how this affected you.

My email is open. You or your thearapist can email me, and I would be glad to talk to him on the phone at my expense regarding any particulars he wants to know.

Best wishes, though the progress seems slow, I think you have come a long way in the time that you have been here.

• VeniceIT
    VeniceIT

Good for you Flower I hope it helps. Remember to relax and trust them, and hopefully you can start to heal. Remember we're here for you too.

Luv ven

"Injustice will continue until those who are not affected by it are as outraged as those who are."

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Flower, great advice you've gotten.

"Best wishes, though the progress seems slow, I think you have come a long way in the time that you have been here." See I'm not the only one who has noticed.

Just continue along the journey you have started.

j2bf

• flower
    flower

Larc-what a kind offer. I'll keep that in mind as I move forward. Thanks!

Venice-Thanks..I've already started healing thanks for everyone here.

Joy-Thanks for all you do.

flower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit